Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sep 2006
    Mishawaka Indiana
    Minelab Explorer SE & Garrett Ace 250
    Banner Finds (1)

common courtesy

I found a great place to hunt the other day and so when the time was right i went to it. it was a house that had been torn down a few day earlier and there wasnt really that much area to enjoy. after about 20 minutes, all of the sudden, a car pulls up and a guy gets out with his detector and headphone, says hello, and procedes to hunt where i already was hunting. i know that we have a code of ethics about filling in holes, and asking permission, etc..., but what about letting a guy have his shot at a spot when he was there first ? What do you think ??

ticked,

mark
    Best finds so far ... 10K & 14K gold ring, 1 troy ounce .999 pure silver, 1876 & (2) 1907 indian head, & a 1977 Kennedy half dollar, 1952 Franklin Half Dollar, 1943 & '43 Merc Dime

us
    DFCA

Dec 2006
    Kansas
    Minelab E-trac
    20 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Re: common courtesy

If I had permission to hunt and I knew they didn't, I'd ask them to leave. if I didn't have permission, there's not much I could do

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3371 times
    Metal Detecting

Quote Originally Posted by ivy_walls
    I found a great place to hunt the other day and so when the time was right i went to it. it was a house that had been torn down a few day earlier and there wasnt really that much area to enjoy. after about 20 minutes, all of the sudden, a car pulls up and a guy gets out with his detector and headphone, says hello, and procedes to hunt where i already was hunting. i know that we have a code of ethics about filling in holes, and asking permission, etc..., but what about letting a guy have his shot at a spot when he was there first ? What do you think ??

ticked,

mark
    Arrrrrrrrrrr...... If you aren't smart enough to defend your booty, then you deserve to lose it. Real pirates think quick! "Hey pal, you mind telling me why you think it's ok to jump in front of me - at MY great-grandmother's house?!"

us
    Tennessee Digger

Sep 2011
    Tesoro and Troy Shadow
    343 times

Been there and done that. We found a good Confederate camp one time where I dug 2 marked Confederate buckles and a buddy of mine dug one. Long story short, some other guys just came in there one day and started hunting and I ask one of them if they had permission and he told me " we don't need no permission, we live around here" ( Shelbyville, Tennessee ). Laand owner got really upset because there were too many people on his property and I tried to explain what happened but he wouldn't hear of it. We all got kicked out because of the same thing. Tennessee digger

us
    Aug 2011
    Bloomington, IN
    Garrett Ace 350

HOOSIERS!!!!
    Jamie

us
    Feb 2008
    Kentucky
    White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
    10 times
    Prospecting and coin shooting

Here's a suggestion:

You: Excuse me, are you the gay detectorist I've heard about? Not that I have anything against gays.

Him: What do you mean?!?!

You: Well, you seem to want to be real close to me, here. If you aren't gay, then I guess you'd consider going elsewhere while I'm working this area, right?

Him: Ummmmm....?

LOL! At any rate, that was downright rude of him. I don't invade other people's space, even if I have permission to be there. If I want to hit a tot lot, if there are kids playing, I go onto the next one. If I'm detecting a beach, I'm not scanning over people's towels. If I have a locationg to go to and others are already hitting it, I'll find somewhere else to go...etc. You get the picture, this person was not right!
    Lookin' and pickin'!

us
    Aug 2011
    Kingsport,TN
    Fisher(F75--LTD) Garret AT Pro

I look at like this, if i have permission and he dosent i tread lightly like the above post says...if the land owner gets upset he wont let anybody in. on the other hand you may jjust ask him to leave in a polite way, or you can bury him your freshest hole. but if the 2 of you have permission then just play nice....relics and coins are like females, theres lots of fish in the sea!
    just a pull tab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

us
    Sep 2007
    wakeman, ohio
    J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
    42 times
    Shipwrecks

beyond that I applied for a permit, and recieved permission from the state and some guys think I'm full of it. they just do as they please. I did take out everything that was easy to get to so at least it is harder for them. enjoy the pulltabs and junk. maybe if the area was marked and prohibited metal detecting or just closed until further notice due to safety concerns since the local popeyes aint got a clue what a dive flag is about.

did you think that maybe the owner gave more than 1 person permission ? I would ask the owner. and I would also let the owner know about it. I always tell the people I meet about the law and the odnr and the states archaeologist. now do you think I wont prosecute to the full extent of the law ?
    I worked long and hard to get to this point and it has not been easy. if everyone was honest we would not have problems.
    them that dive will be the lucky ones !!

us
    Jul 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Fisher F75, Fisher 1266, Fisher 1270, Whites TDI, Garrett AT Gold
    1018 times
    Banner Finds (2)

As your post stands right now, you don't mention having permission to hunt either. This type of thing happens all the time at construction sites in Virginia, where there are Civil War relics to be found. I personally wouldn't jump a guys spot like that, especially while he is there hunting.

us
    Mar 2007
    central ohio
    MINELAB E TRAC x 2
    10 times
    Metal Detecting

my 2 cents take it for what it is worth..if it is a construction site and you dont actually have permission...i have to say what makes it anymore your spot than his...maybe he had been there before or maybe not...technically if you dont have permission you are both trespassing so i would say it is find what you can while you can....
    As for a place with permission,if i see someone else detecting or doing anything else and they tell me they dont have permission i would contact the land owner immediately and tell him.....i think you would be better off to do that than let him come out there and find a bunch of people hunting..he is just going to assume that you brought them along and like tennessee digger you will be out of luck......
    teverly

us
    Subterranean Metallogical Locationist

Jan 2009
    Finger Lakes, N.Y.
    Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer
    25 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

yup, he had a lot of 'sack' to jump in with just a hello. Plain courtesy would be a conversation of your common hobby and a request to join your hunt. Personally, I'd go over and talk him off the site, like in a Loony Tune cartoon-- 'Hey, buddy, how ya doin'? find any thing good, yeah to bad this place is radioactive and hey, hey, hey--oh, man, that park down the road where the bank truck crashed is still giving silver-----yada, yada, yada---''-

ca
    Jan 2011
    284 times

I feel if you are in a site and some one shows up that does not have the land owners okay, then he or she showed be told that it is private property and they should get the okay to hunt. If they refuse then call the owner and explain what is going on, but if the land owner gets bugged they might tell you both to leave. It is a tuff call when you get this kind of bull....
    I had this site several years back with permission to detect, I found that this site was to good to loose to some one else, so I hunted it at night for 5 years after it was plowed and when the crops came off. There was a street light on the road so it gave me some light, one day I went there when it was lite, the next day there was this other person walking the site, little did he know that when I detect a site it is well chris crossed back and fore. I don't think he found anything, because I never seen him there again.

Charter Member
    us
    treasurelagoon.wordpress.com

Jun 2010
    East Coast Florida
    An older blue Excal with connector, remote, Skullie headphones, and various coils. Got rid of the rest of my machines.
    2711 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Obviously you've never hunted Florida beaches. Happens nearly every day even though there is endless miles of beach. Just shrug it off, stay focussed, and get on with it.
    "The key to finding gold is finding places where it can be accessed."

us
    Supreme Chancellor

Oct 2005
    High Five!
    65 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Man up and just start detecting right in front of him until he leaves. If somebody did that to me, I would have fun with it. I would make their experience miserable.

us
    Mar 2010
    Ann Arbor MI
    DFX 300
    1 times

that has happen to me only one and all you do is every time you get a crappy signal call him over and say what do you think it is Keep doing it and say that sounds like silver. after a while he will leave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors