common courtesy

ivy_walls

Sep 1, 2006
Mishawaka Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE & Garrett Ace 250
I found a great place to hunt the other day and so when the time was right i went to it. it was a house that had been torn down a few day earlier and there wasnt really that much area to enjoy. after about 20 minutes, all of the sudden, a car pulls up and a guy gets out with his detector and headphone, says hello, and procedes to hunt where i already was hunting. i know that we have a code of ethics about filling in holes, and asking permission, etc..., but what about letting a guy have his shot at a spot when he was there first ???? What do you think ?????

ticked,

mark

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
If I had permission to hunt and I knew they didn't, I'd ask them to leave. if I didn't have permission, there's not much I could do

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ivy_walls said:
I found a great place to hunt the other day and so when the time was right i went to it. it was a house that had been torn down a few day earlier and there wasnt really that much area to enjoy. after about 20 minutes, all of the sudden, a car pulls up and a guy gets out with his detector and headphone, says hello, and procedes to hunt where i already was hunting. i know that we have a code of ethics about filling in holes, and asking permission, etc..., but what about letting a guy have his shot at a spot when he was there first ???? What do you think ?????

ticked,

mark

Arrrrrrrrrrr...... If you aren't smart enough to defend your booty, then you deserve to lose it. Real pirates think quick! "Hey pal, you mind telling me why you think it's ok to jump in front of me - at MY great-grandmother's house?!" :laughing7:

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
Been there and done that. We found a good Confederate camp one time where I dug 2 marked Confederate buckles and a buddy of mine dug one. Long story short, some other guys just came in there one day and started hunting and I ask one of them if they had permission and he told me " we don't need no permission, we live around here" ( Shelbyville, Tennessee ). Laand owner got really upset because there were too many people on his property and I tried to explain what happened but he wouldn't hear of it. We all got kicked out because of the same thing. Tennessee digger

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a suggestion:

You: Excuse me, are you the gay detectorist I've heard about? Not that I have anything against gays.

Him: What do you mean?!?!

You: Well, you seem to want to be real close to me, here. If you aren't gay, then I guess you'd consider going elsewhere while I'm working this area, right?

Him: Ummmmm....????

LOL! At any rate, that was downright rude of him. I don't invade other people's space, even if I have permission to be there. If I want to hit a tot lot, if there are kids playing, I go onto the next one. If I'm detecting a beach, I'm not scanning over people's towels. If I have a locationg to go to and others are already hitting it, I'll find somewhere else to go...etc. You get the picture, this person was not right!

tndigger2011

Aug 21, 2011
Kingsport,TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher(F75--LTD) Garret AT Pro
I look at like this, if i have permission and he dosent i tread lightly like the above post says...if the land owner gets upset he wont let anybody in. on the other hand you may jjust ask him to leave in a polite way, or you can bury him your freshest hole. but if the 2 of you have permission then just play nice....relics and coins are like females, theres lots of fish in the sea!

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
beyond that I applied for a permit, and recieved permission from the state and some guys think I'm full of it. they just do as they please. I did take out everything that was easy to get to so at least it is harder for them. enjoy the pulltabs and junk. maybe if the area was marked and prohibited metal detecting or just closed until further notice due to safety concerns since the local popeyes aint got a clue what a dive flag is about.

did you think that maybe the owner gave more than 1 person permission ? I would ask the owner. and I would also let the owner know about it. I always tell the people I meet about the law and the odnr and the states archaeologist. now do you think I wont prosecute to the full extent of the law ?
I worked long and hard to get to this point and it has not been easy. if everyone was honest we would not have problems.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As your post stands right now, you don't mention having permission to hunt either. This type of thing happens all the time at construction sites in Virginia, where there are Civil War relics to be found. I personally wouldn't jump a guys spot like that, especially while he is there hunting.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my 2 cents take it for what it is worth..if it is a construction site and you dont actually have permission...i have to say what makes it anymore your spot than his...maybe he had been there before or maybe not...technically if you dont have permission you are both trespassing so i would say it is find what you can while you can....
As for a place with permission,if i see someone else detecting or doing anything else and they tell me they dont have permission i would contact the land owner immediately and tell him.....i think you would be better off to do that than let him come out there and find a bunch of people hunting..he is just going to assume that you brought them along and like tennessee digger you will be out of luck......

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup, he had a lot of 'sack' to jump in with just a hello. Plain courtesy would be a conversation of your common hobby and a request to join your hunt. Personally, I'd go over and talk him off the site, like in a Loony Tune cartoon-- 'Hey, buddy, how ya doin'? find any thing good, yeah to bad this place is radioactive and hey, hey, hey--oh, man, that park down the road where the bank truck crashed is still giving silver-----yada, yada, yada---''-

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I feel if you are in a site and some one shows up that does not have the land owners okay, then he or she showed be told that it is private property and they should get the okay to hunt. If they refuse then call the owner and explain what is going on, but if the land owner gets bugged they might tell you both to leave. It is a tuff call when you get this kind of bull....
I had this site several years back with permission to detect, I found that this site was to good to loose to some one else, so I hunted it at night for 5 years after it was plowed and when the crops came off. There was a street light on the road so it gave me some light, one day I went there when it was lite, the next day there was this other person walking the site, little did he know that when I detect a site it is well chris crossed back and fore. I don't think he found anything, because I never seen him there again.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously you've never hunted Florida beaches. Happens nearly every day even though there is endless miles of beach. Just shrug it off, stay focussed, and get on with it. :dontknow:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man up and just start detecting right in front of him until he leaves. If somebody did that to me, I would have fun with it. I would make their experience miserable.

padlock

Mar 28, 2010
Ann Arbor MI
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
that has happen to me only one and all you do is every time you get a crappy signal call him over and say what do you think it is Keep doing it and say that sounds like silver. after a while he will leave

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fair Game, it happens all the time.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
padlock said:
that has happen to me only one and all you do is every time you get a crappy signal call him over and say what do you think it is Keep doing it and say that sounds like silver. after a while he will leave

Hey Ya Have to Mix It Up a Little Yell Gold Once I A while!!!!! HH Chug Then Just Put the Pull tab In Your Keeper Pocket

Chocadog

Feb 3, 2010
Roanoke, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Minelab Safari, Garrett GTI2000, Garrett250
Well, there is a couple of ways to look at this, that is if you are concerned over another hunter pursuing his hobby.First get another detector from you car that interferes with his and stay close enough to create so much chatter that they leave, or get away from him and shout "WOW Unbelievable this has got to be my day!" Do this about every five minutes and the chap will be checking his detector to see why he is not finding all these great finds. For me I would introduce myself and make a new hunting partner, always better to make a friend than an enemy!

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'd really have to give more info. If you have permission and he doesn't, a talk with the landowner may help; or just get you both kicked off. I've been told no on permission because the landowner figured if people saw me there they'd assume they could be there as well.
If you didn't get permission either, or you both received permission it's kind of like the "ethics" they post at salmon fishing pools, rotate the pool and don't intrude on another fishermans rise. (In other words, give each other room) It's possible to share the area and both have a good time - I probably would have had a talk with the fellow, maybe even make a new detecting buddy with some killer sites to take you to!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions