Insane Ban on Cash Transactions in Louisiana

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Insane Ban on Cash Transactions in Louisiana :icon_scratch:

Ackel and Associates
October 14, 2011

This summer, the State Legislature and Governor of Louisiana passed a law that bans individuals and businesses from transacting in cash if they are considered a “secondhand dealer”.

House Bill 195 of the 2011 Regular Session (Act 389) broadly defines a secondhand dealer to include “… Anyone, other than a non-profit entity, who buys, sells, trades in or otherwise acquires or disposes of junk or used or secondhand property more frequently than once per month from any other person, other than a non-profit entity, shall be deemed as being in the business of a secondhand dealer. ”

The law then states that “A secondhand dealer shall not enter into any cash transactions in payment for the purchase of junk or used or secondhand property. Payment shall be made in the form of check, electronic transfers, or money order issued to the seller of the junk or used or secondhand property…”

The broad scope of this definition can essentially encompass everyone; from your local flea market vendors and buyers to a housewife purchasing goods on ebay or craigslist, to a group of guys trading baseball cards, they could all be considered secondhand dealers. Lawmakers in Louisiana have effectively banned its citizens from freely using United States legal tender.

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am sure someone will challenge this on a Federal level ... I forget the Federal law that trumps state and local and says that US minted currency has to be accepted for business transactions.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its clearly a attempt to monitor the second hand bussiness's income via tracking the buying and selling of who is buying what from whom ( the state of louisana will say it is a way to help track "possible" stolen goods by providing a "papertrail" for the police to follow * much like a pawn store does. )--but it also makes a "taxible" bussiness income "papertrail" for both the second hand dealer and who they buy stuff from -- uh , mr second hand dealer * what did you pay X for that item / and what did you sell it to Y for? --the differance between X and Y is "taxible bussiness profiet" * a % of which is owed to the state and fed gubbermint as "taxes" according to them.--if a person sells a lot of stuff to shop owning dealers they too might get hit for "taxes" owed as a second hand dealer

ps ( say you buy from yardsales and sell to second hand shops at a bit of a mark up to make a few extra bucks ---the govt now veiws you as * a middle man type of bussinessman and they want a "cut" of your "income")--

-the grubbenmint's main job is to find ways to find and track ALL MEANS OF PRODUCING INCOME AND GETTING OF CUT OF EVERYTHING , FROM EVERYONE --- dats why day is de GRUBBERMINT ---GREEDY GRABBY GOVT --GIMME GIMME GIMME

remember as far as the govt goes generally speaking they only know what your FOOL enough to tell them * (or some cases - what folks that rat on you , tells em )--which is why the old mob rule was (shut up & say nothing - let the loawyer "mouthpiece" speak for you --, admit to nothing ,and make them "prove" their case against you --never ever play lets make a deal & drag others into the mess / do your "own" time if you screwed up and got caught. ) --in my veiw the less the govt knows about "your bussiness" the better off you are.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ivan makes some good points. I read some of this bill and I think the "spirit" of this law is to try to curb sale of stolen property. It is kinda silly when you think about it - pass a law to stop people who already don't care about the law.

This will only anger and hurt honest folks trying to make an honest living.

On the other hand, it might finally put an end to that yard sale your neighbor has been having every weekend for the last 4 years. :icon_thumright:

DCMatt

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The federal law is written on your money,"THIS NOTE IS LEGAL TENDER FOR ALL DEBTS PUBLIC AND PRIVATE". I don't see any exception for second hand sales. This is just an extension of there track and tax system. Next they will be putting cameras in everyones bathroom to enforce the P tax. lol Frank

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
The sad part is that, if the Warren Buffets & Bill Gates (and probably the same pinheads that drafted LA's new law) of the world paid income taxes at the same percentage rates as the average working stiff, the taxes they would pay would likely "more than cover the tax liability for ALL of the "second-hand goods" transactions coast to coast. It's just that it's EASIER to scrunch the average Joe than it is to hit the boys that make the big campaign contributions........................................

And people wonder what the wall street protests are all about........................

Diggem'

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put your money in envelopes. If you want to buy a $5 item "trade" the person an envelope for the item. You're bartering not selling. If you happened to have inadvertantly put a 5er in that envelope by accident what can you say.

Either that or do all your selling in the next state. Or get the paperwork and "donate" a percentage to a favorite charity!

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
"A tyrant will always find a way to justify his tyranny". It's incredible americans talk so much about ideas like freedom and our inalienable rights, and yet we do nothing about these tyranical politicians who keep chipping away bit by bit at our independence. The founders of our great nation not only put their lives at risk to oppose tyranny, but did so publicly, putting their signatures to documents that will stand forever for freedom and the courage to stand against any odds, no matter how great, to protect our freedom. Good Post.

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you hit the nail on the head frankn...... they will have to outlaw US currency and print cajun cash...govt out of control..... i guess they fixed all the other problems that took priority over this power trip............

m14nm

Sep 23, 2011
North West Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
DFX IDX CZ3D GTA350 6000Di-2
Primary Interest:
Other
To quote TheNewCatfish: It's incredible americans talk so much about ideas like freedom and our inalienable rights, and yet we do nothing about these tyranical politicians who keep chipping away bit by bit at our independence.

Reply: Someone keeps voting these bums back in.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to rent a car, buy a plane ticket, etc., with cash. Cash has not been accepted in some areas of business for a long time. And I think everyone knew, with the huge increase in garage sales, flea markets, etc., that it was just a matter of time before Uncle Sam before saw billions of dollars in unreported income & tax revenues. Do I like it....H _ _ L NO! Did I and do I still see it coming. Absolutely.

OP
OP
goverton

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taxed when you earned the money
Taxed when you bought a product
Taxed when you sell it at a Garage Sale
Taxed for what you did not report to IRS :laughing9:

Oct 20, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
DCMatt said:
Ivan makes some good points. I read some of this bill and I think the "spirit" of this law is to try to curb sale of stolen property. It is kinda silly when you think about it - pass a law to stop people who already don't care about the law.

Yup. Like "gun control" advocates, they don't get it.

"When cash is made illegal, only criminals will have cash."

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
to be taxed once to provide the govt a income is one thing --but to repeatedly be taxed over and over again ?---

americans are taxed upon "making the income" to buy stuff via a #1 "job / income tax"
--you pay more taxes when you actually buy stuff via #2 "sales taxes"
--some items have added taxes #3 "built in" like (excise taxes) tires and gas (road tax) and sporting goods .

-- now that you have paid the taxes for working to earn the money to buy stuff with (income tax) #1 , paid the taxes for actually buying it (sales tax) #2 , paid the taxes for actually using it (excise /road and other varios taxes) #3 --

there are often #4 disposal fees (taxes) to get rid of it once you no longer want it ---however if you yard sale it rather than to just throw it away --they now want to tax youa 5th time * for selling it to another person. ---when does this "taxing madness end?"

---this is my point of veiw**** it is the duty of the american grubbermint to get a piece of the action every time a dollar changes hands * -- they want to track any possible way of earning any form of income and tax all means of earning *money or profiets of any type all the time.---greedy grabby govt = grubbermint

I say if 10% is good enough for god --then let my taxes to the govt be 10% federal , 10% state and 10% local ( spit 5 % each county and city) with 10% for god (my church of choice or none if thats your choice) that would live me 60 % left still in my pocket -- which is more than I currently have left under the system in place .

make a politicans work for "minimum wage' and have to pay into and only get socail security as their "retirement package" --no more two pot system ( private congress /senate bank where politicans can write worthless checks and not get arrested for it like "normal folks" would - nor are they forced to make the checks good from their salarys either )-- no more two pot retirement system either * one fer the working stiffs and one for the sell out to the "powerful" politicans

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300
ivan salis said:
to be taxed once to provide the govt a income is one thing --but to repeatedly be taxed over and over again ?---

americans are taxed upon "making the income" to buy stuff via a #1 "job / income tax"
--you pay more taxes when you actually buy stuff via #2 "sales taxes"
--some items have added taxes #3 "built in" like (excise taxes) tires and gas (road tax) and sporting goods .

-- now that you have paid the taxes for working to earn the money to buy stuff with (income tax) #1 , paid the taxes for actually buying it (sales tax) #2 , paid the taxes for actually using it (excise /road and other varios taxes) #3 --

there are often #4 disposal fees (taxes) to get rid of it once you no longer want it ---however if you yard sale it rather than to just throw it away --they now want to tax youa 5th time * for selling it to another person. ---when does this "taxing madness end?"

---this is my point of veiw**** it is the duty of the american grubbermint to get a piece of the action every time a dollar changes hands * -- they want to track any possible way of earning any form of income and tax all means of earning *money or profiets of any type all the time.---greedy grabby govt = grubbermint

I say if 10% is good enough for god --then let my taxes to the govt be 10% federal , 10% state and 10% local ( spit 5 % each county and city) with 10% for god (my church of choice or none if thats your choice) that would live me 60 % left still in my pocket -- which is more than I currently have left under the system in place .

make a politicans work for "minimum wage' and have to pay into and only get socail security as their "retirement package" --no more two pot system ( private congress /senate bank where politicans can write worthless checks and not get arrested for it like "normal folks" would - nor are they forced to make the checks good from their salarys either )-- no more two pot retirement system either * one fer the working stiffs and one for the sell out to the "powerful" politicans

Couldn't agree more. Now, if we can just get some of the worthless lumps of __________ in power to agree long enough to change the laws & give up their cash cows..........

Good luck with that

Diggem'

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
THIS is a meaningless law with no teeth.

how u gonna enforce it.

the only reason cash is still with us is that the BIG BOYS

are the crookedest of all. where u might buy a flea market

item for 3 dollars . they moving 300 million under the

table somewhere.to avoid something.

this added valu also include drug dealers and robbers.

how many do u think are gonna line up to pay this.

if they enforce this somewhere people will go elsewhere.

also the biggest joke is theyre trying this in almost

the most impossible state in the union to monitor.

inmy opinion. them cajun peeps are mighty secretive

dam haf the state is a swamp with boat only acess

in many places.how u gonna tax that. TAX MAN.

which reminds me of that BEATLES SONG...

have we forgotten it ?play it again and really listen

to the words ull see how true it is.

the lawmakers down there better watchout.

theres a lotta good ol boys that might use em for

gator bait or shred em up to put in jumbalaya.

which is about all there good for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread