Mining rights, why no Treasure Hunting rights...

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 with EagleEye.
Primary Interest:
Other
So, up here in good old Canada, if you own the mining rights to someone's land, you can really wreak havoc on their property. Until recently, it was possible to go in at any time on someone's land with your mining rights, and do whatever you wanted, even in the middle of a wedding. I believe that's changed now, but talk about government hypocrisy. Treasure hunters get to keep nothing, while miners keep what they dig up and also get to ruin property. In the face of such blatant stupidity, I find the treasure laws of Canada to be invalid based on reason alone. This is further made easy by the fact that there is a technical loophole that I've come across on a government website. The government doesn't "require" you to report finds. I read this on an official Parks Canada government website, it was written there clear as day. However, if by some unknown chance they do find out that you dug something up, they'll take it away(and probably hide it in a museum basement, cough "Royal Ontario Museum").

Prime

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread