hows the coil size related to depth ( heres why)

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You have fallen pray to the fallacy of debt. Small coils on the same detector will go almost as deep as large coils because you are running the same power output through both coils, however the large coil will cover a larger patch of ground, but the small coil will separate targets better. So what way do you want it? Frank

OP
OP
M

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
You have fallen pray to the fallacy of debt. Small coils on the same detector will go almost as deep as large coils because you are running the same power output through both coils, however the large coil will cover a larger patch of ground, but the small coil will separate targets better. So what way do you want it? Frank
so in order to get more depth you would give it more power

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
The short answer is yes, but that is not practical. You would be better looking for a good used PI detector if dept is your priority and if you happen to win the lottery, get a SSP2100 discriminator metal detector & magnetometer. You can pick a new one up for about $3000 US. Frank

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees

Haha! Folks - pick up one of the old detector books by Garrett or read Dankowski's site (or MLO). This helpful gentleman is consistently incorrect about physics, electronics, and life (lottery to spend 3K???).

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Hay sham, Dankowski, isn't that the guy that dropped a gold ring on the beach and it immediately sunk to 25" on one of his videos. lol I got that info about coil to dept from another post that had a link to the head of the First Texas/Fisher research lab. I dare say a much more reliable source. Any more smoke rings to blow today? Frank

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perfect example of why forums cease to be of value. Why not suggest a field gun for shooting pigeons ?

No suggestion of hoard hunting as a requirement and we have a plug for the old Detech hoard hunter (which is not the deepest by any means) that now has had a couple of coin hunting sized coils added but these still don't make it a discriminating detector for general use.

If you need a hoard hunter at least buy a better one. The SSP-3000 range are far more versatile for not much more. Import one (even from the U.K. and we pay over the odds for everything) and it will be under the $3000 quoted for the cut down 2100.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U.K. Brian said:
Perfect example of why forums cease to be of value. Why not suggest a field gun for shooting pigeons ?

No suggestion of hoard hunting as a requirement and we have a plug for the old Detech hoard hunter (which is not the deepest by any means) that now has had a couple of coin hunting sized coils added but these still don't make it a discriminating detector for general use.

If you need a hoard hunter at least buy a better one. The SSP-3000 range are far more versatile for not much more. Import one (even from the U.K. and we pay over the odds for everything) and it will be under the $3000 quoted for the cut down 2100.

Why would you use a 3 legged donkey called lucky in a group 1 horse race. With the release of the new minelab gpx 4800 & 5000 you can pick up a 4500 for around 3000 us dollars. As far as depth thats hard to bet and has varous settings for different types of hunting.

tinpan

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Brian, you got the right idea, but the offerings over here are different. For those of you that don't know, the SSP 2100 Is a very deep seeking PI detector with a built in magnetometer in a 1M (about 3') square coil. It also comes with a 14" & 18" concentric coil. there is an optional 5" coil.
NOW, in the US the SSP 2100 lists for $ 3445 but you can get it on E Bay for $3000 sometimes.
I don't see the SSP3000 offered here, but there is a SSP 3100"Digital" offered for $3845 list. There is also a 3" & 6" mat coil offered which will go very deep + pick up nuggets near the surface. The mag. gives the ability to identify iron, but only in the big coil. I think if I had $3k laying around, I would get one. Hope this helps, Frank

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just try the machines themselves. The SSP's have been around for several years and though not a bad hoard hunter you would be pushed to find anyone using them for general coinshooting. A new 20" discriminating coil with built in magnetometer came out in 2007.

Metal mania's post was about getting more depth from a $70 coin hunter so both hoardhunters and Minelab's pulse machines hardly come into the equation. What I assume he wants to know is if there's a bigger coil he could use which there is, a 9" from the "Professional" model though as they don't seem to sell coils separately it would mean buying a secondhand/broken detector and for the performance gain it just would not be worth the effort.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
So those 15 inch WOT coils go no deeper than 8 inch coils,when used on the same machines? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
lookindown said:
Frankn said:
So those 15 inch WOT coils go no deeper than 8 inch coils,when used on the same machines? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:
There must be something seriously wrong with my machine. When I double the coil size, I double the depth capability, I know, it's crazy!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
fistfullofdirt; Easy statement to make, now lets see some backing ! What size are the coils and what are their max. debts. What brand and model detector are they used on ? Lets have some facts ! Frank

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Frankn said:
fistfullofdirt; Easy statement to make, now lets see some backing ! What size are the coils and what are their max. debts. What brand and model detector are they used on ? Lets have some facts ! Frank
Hi Frankn, using the ML Exp ll, Sef coil 6x8", I get about 4-6" on a wheatie or dime sized target. Switching to the Sef 10x12" I can obtain double the depth, right around 8-10" on the same size target.
I rarely use the 6x8 due to it's depth limitations. ffd

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt said:
Frankn said:
Hi Frankn, using the ML Exp ll, Sef coil 6x8", I get about 4-6" on a wheatie or dime sized target. Switching to the Sef 10x12" I can obtain double the depth, right around 8-10" on the same size target.
I rarely use the 6x8 due to it's depth limitations. ffd
How do you measure your depth :icon_scratch:

SS

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Fistfullofdirt: Very impressive numbers. Are these from air test or actual finds ? I don't think I have ever seen a dime at 10", but my surfmaster PI with stock 9.5"has pulled out a gold and diamond ring at 10"in sand. Frank
PS I have also recovered a silver colored medallion from 13' , but I must confess Irene took the first 12'. lol

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Frankn said:
Fistfullofdirt: Very impressive numbers. Are these from air test or actual finds ? I don't think I have ever seen a dime at 10", but my surfmaster PI with stock 9.5"has pulled out a gold and diamond ring at 10"in sand. Frank
PS I have also recovered a silver colored medallion from 13' , but I must confess Irene took the first 12'. lol
Thanks Frankn. I have dug a barber quarter at about 12". I've been using this combo for about 2 years, and have dug about 150 silvers including silver dollars. The Minelab isn't great at air testing, these are actual digs. The SEF coil design is highly stable under maximum gain and sensitivity settings, and allow me to run my detector a lot hotter than with the factory coil.
I've always thought that the larger the coil, the deeper, to a point. ffd

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
Frankn said:
The short answer is yes, but that is not practical. You would be better looking for a good used PI detector if dept is your priority and if you happen to win the lottery, get a SSP2100 discriminator metal detector & magnetometer. You can pick a new one up for about $3000 US. Frank

thanks for the input....just opened a whole new world for me!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread