replace dollar bills with coin legislation did it die already ?

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
i read somewhere that legislation has been

reintroduced to end the dollar bill and replace it

totally with coins.

everyone knows how much we could save doing this.

hunderds of millions.

always before the problem was the company that

makes the paper to print dollar bills is in massachusetts.

and were protetected in porking by sen edw kennedy.

the article suggested that since he has died there

might be a possibility of getting said law passed.

this is so huge to detectorists.

imagine going out and 50 per cent of what u now

find as quarters would be dollars.

no one is talking about this and it is SOOOOS IMPORTANT

.i guess we heard of this soo many times and it has

always failed.

anyway i googled this and cant find current info.

anyone know if this bill is still alive or if it has

been killed already?

MAYBE WERE ALL SO SILVER MINDED THAT

NO ONE CARES ABOUT CLAD. I DO !!!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't know there had (or is) such a bill. The funny thing is I was just thinking that would be a great law just yesterday.

If I remember correctly the company that makes the paper had an exclusive contract for well over a century. (The Government is/was their only customer. Bad business model.) But a few years ago the U.S. Government contracted a second company in France to also print the paper.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
about 2 weeks ago there was a Teaser before the Commercial
about the bill, But I missed the actual News Report.

Only good would Be detecting them.

I Personally will refuse those "Ugly" Coins as Change
& Insist on Quarters, Halves & $2.00 bills
so I Can put the Bills in my wallet.

IF They insist They can't Give me Quarters instead,
I'll take the dollar coins to the Bank Immediatly for $2.00 Bills

I Realy do Hate those UGLY Dollar Coins :thumbsup:

K

Kentucky Kache

Now would be a good time to invent a neat coin carrier. I'd better get to work on that. :laughing7:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kentucky Kache said:
Now would be a good time to invent a neat coin carrier. I'd better get to work on that. :laughing7:
I was thinking the same thing....wanna go 50 50 on it?

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
Kentucky Kache said:

Any good sock without holes in it works great. ;D Gotta get the thick ones if you're going to carry a lot of coins.... :D

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go to the US mint,they say that they want to stop making pennies and dollar coins by 2014,it didn't say anything about bills. :dontknow:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Produce Guy said:
If you go to the US mint,they say that they want to stop making pennies and dollar coins by 2014,it didn't say anything about bills. :dontknow:

Since they are only making Pennies that
Disolve these days, I won't miss pennies.
Except if cash registers still ring up
with a .01 .02 etc.

IF I see a 5.09 on a Register Ya better believe
& want my Penny or the bill Rounded DOWN to
$5.05 ;D

Zephyr said:
Any good sock without holes in it works great. ;D Gotta get the thick ones if you're going to carry a lot of coins.... :D

:laughing7:

can you imagine a student bringing a sock or sack
with about 10 Dollar coins to school :tongue3:

Nice Weapon :headbang:

Of course they can just make students
carry a roll in their hands :tongue3:
AMBH7LWCAG3PRY4CAXFT7R4CAEA0FHTCA6AZZE5CAT5OF4ACAX90P71CA685BYHCA816B38CAZGJVNLCA52QESUCAJ15VW...jpg

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
I have a better idea... have a metal strip embedded into each bill to prevent forgery. I believe this is already being done in some countries.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HARRASS said:
I have a better idea... have a metal strip embedded into each bill to prevent forgery. I believe this is already being done in some countries.
:icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: Okay you officially lost me with that statement as it pertains to this thread. This is about replacing the paper dollar with a coin dollar. You Canucks know about that. Besides- Who counterfeits 1 dollar bills?

As for the topic at hand- I don't think it's dead yet, there is still talk of it. I wouldn't mind it except for the fact that I hate those ugly azz dollar coins. A newer designed coin would probably out of the question since they have billions of the now produced ones sitting in vaults collecting dust. Most Americans are against it but I think it should be done, regardless. It could be one small step of common sense being shown by the government to actually save money versus blatantly overspending it on ridiculous unnecessary nonsense.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
HARRASS said:
:icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: Okay you officially lost me with that statement as it pertains to this thread. This is about replacing the paper dollar with a coin dollar. You Canucks know about that. Besides- Who counterfeits 1 dollar bills?

As for the topic at hand- I don't think it's dead yet, there is still talk of it. I wouldn't mind it except for the fact that I hate those ugly azz dollar coins. A newer designed coin would probably out of the question since they have billions of the now produced ones sitting in vaults collecting dust. Most Americans are against it but I think it should be done, regardless. It could be one small step of common sense being shown by the government to actually save money versus blatantly overspending it on ridiculous unnecessary nonsense.

They are also too close to the size of Quarters,
makeing a quick glance or Feel Harder to Distinguish

Especially Once they have been in the Ground
for awhile

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
Sorry about the try at humor... a couple of things to note. When I hunt in Canuk land I usual get enough to pay the gas in coins I have found. As a treasure hunter I personaly love these coins. Apparantly they will last as long as any other coin. In the land of USA I am lucky if I get a few dollars in a coin hunt. In Canada I have had days of 30 to 50 dollars. A friend of mine, out west, got $106 and change from this one school yard that had never been touched. This was a smoking area off the school property. I thought he was giving me a story. The next spring he did the same yard and got 4 dollars.
I now hear we are developing plastic money which is 3 layers thick and impossible to counterfit. It will last 5x longer that paper money. Americans love the greenback... I doubt if they will go for a dollar coin.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zephyr said:
Kentucky Kache said:

So much for our coin carrier idea....robbed of millions by a sock...a stinking sock. >:( >:(

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bring on the dollar coin, and out with the worthless penny! Europe has 1€ and 2€ coins, and havent heard anyone complaining about them, except maybe that dont have enough of them!! Dont worry, you will get used to dollar coins.

For a country that supposedly is based on the market economy, it doesnt make a lot of Cents to produce coins that cost more than they are worth, kinda sounds like something the USSR would do, and we all know what happened to that experiment.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maipenrai said:
Bring on the dollar coin, and out with the worthless penny! Europe has 1€ and 2€ coins, and havent heard anyone complaining about them, except maybe that dont have enough of them!! Dont worry, you will get used to dollar coins.

For a country that supposedly is based on the market economy, it doesnt make a lot of Cents to produce coins that cost more than they are worth, kinda sounds like something the USSR would do, and we all know what happened to that experiment.
I agree, make them bi-metal like Canada so there is no confusion with the quarter. But then this is the U.S.Gov. were talking about. Common sense approaches are a rare bird indeed!

OP
OP
scrounger d detector collector
Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
i would say we are stuck with the size

of our current dollar coin. as millions have already

been produced. yes they need to be redesigned

so they can easily be differentiated from quarters.

the gold plating is crappy and wear off ez.

heat45

Sep 1, 2011
Detroit/Windsor
Primary Interest:
Other
The U.S. and Canada should go back to using silver coins as currency, but make them 999 and very small. Picture little silver coins a quarter inch wide as being $0.25, half inch ones as $.50, etc.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
heat45 said:
The U.S. and Canada should go back to using silver coins as currency, but make them 999 and very small. Picture little silver coins a quarter inch wide as being $0.25, half inch ones as $.50, etc.

I agree but add that they should mint a Million of each daily
to keep up with the horders & Melters.

this would give Silver Miners, & Many others jobs.

and dollar coins should Be Made of .999 Gold also.

As fast as people Melt them down, The Mint could buy the Metal
& Mint some More :coffee2:

a Vicious Circle that would Keep the Economy Going :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread