Going insane trying to pick the right detector !! HELP

DIGGING1971GUY

May 20, 2011
Well I started with an ace250 ,great little detector for the money ,right now I am borrowing an AT pro
Really good detector but depth is not to impressive ,I know i will get mixed answers but what should I buy ?

I want to hit coins at 10" find gold and relics also ,any help would be greatly appreciated.
My budget is up to $1200.00 Thanks !! Also I live in Georgia ,that is the soil I would be digging in .

I am driving myself insane researching detectors LOL

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no reason to go crazy lol, just contact a dealer and discuss your needs/wants with them, don't express your budget lol even though i am sure they will still offer you the best market deal.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sound like a white's man better yet a tdi user unmatched dept buy any competitor detector can knock out low conductors or switch to knock out high conductor or here them bought.deep penetrating in high mineral soil.the best detector on the market for the price I would trade my mxt ,my 5900,both classics and gtax 400 for a tdi pro in a hart beat.

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
....Try a Minelab Sovereign Elite or GT.....get it with the 10 inch coil and if you have problems differentiating the tones.....get the meter...Goes deep....one of the few detectors that can be used on the dry salt beach and go into the wet ocean and Not need to do any adjustments.....JT

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe(TX) said:
....Try a Minelab Sovereign Elite or GT.....get it with the 10 inch coil and if you have problems differentiating the tones.....get the meter...Goes deep....one of the few detectors that can be used on the dry salt beach and go into the wet ocean and Not need to do any adjustments.....JT

Joe is correct, the Sovereign GT is one of the best out there, and you can go from dry beach sand to wet salt sand and then into the shallow surf with it with no problems at all...... It isn't waterproof so have to be careful in the shallow water with it.....It is a great land detector with many nice options on it.......The sotck 10inch coil is great, and there are many DD coils for it. If you have to have a meter you can pick up one for it......It is also within your budget as are many other great detectors.....

I have 2 GTs, one is waterproofed for use in the surf but will be sold soon, I have a buyer for it that talked me into selling it to him........My land Sov GT has a WOT coil and the SEF Butterfly 15X18" coil for it...... I have owned 12 detectors, played with and sold 6 of them, but I will always own at least 1 Sov GT...

Well maybe if Minelab comes out with an updated version of the Sov I may not always own a GT.... LOL. :icon_thumright:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:dontknow:

Without knowing what type of land you hunt, I don't see how anyone can recomend a detector, $1200 is a good budget, so what ever you buy, at that price should get the job done...good luck :icon_thumleft:

SS

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:

Without knowing what type of land you hunt, I don't see how anyone can recomend a detector, $1200 is a good budget, so what ever you buy, at that price should get the job done...good luck :icon_thumleft:

SS

He said he was hunting in Georgia, I have friends in Ga using the Sov GT..... It has good reviews for use in Australia, as well as good reviews from use in England by Garys Detectors.....

He was using the ACE 250 and a borrowed AT PRO, the Sov GT will handle any soil those two can handle.....

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

He said he was hunting in Georgia, I have friends in Ga using the Sov GT..... It has good reviews for use in Australia, as well as good reviews from use in England by Garys Detectors.....

He was using the ACE 250 and a borrowed AT PRO, the Sov GT will handle any soil those two can handle.....
That tells me nothing about soil conditions....I have lots of friends who have the XP, I still would not recomend a detector, unless I knew the conditions.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
A few more to consider. Fisher cz3d, Tesoro Vaquero and the Tejon. The Tesoros are single tone with no meter, all 3 will hit deep, cz will run smooth on salt beaches.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

That tells me nothing about soil conditions....I have lots of friends who have the XP, I still would not recomend a detector, unless I knew the conditions.

Then don't recommend one.....

OP
OP
DIGGING1971GUY

DIGGING1971GUY

May 20, 2011
Thanks everyone for your reply's ,the conditions I am working with is parks ,the ground here in Atlanta seems to be mostly hard clay
Some of the older homes I have been to have a black type rich soil .So mostly clay type soil the AT PRO has done well
but not well enough ,I feel I am missing things below the 6 range the At just seems to grab stuff above 7"

I may just save up fro an Etrac because I love digging coins
Thanks again

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Silver Searcher said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

Then don't recommend one.....
I never did :icon_scratch:

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmmm...

I dont know if it is so much that the AT lacks depth....but it does have a hard time getting a VDI lock on the target after 8". You can still get a signal.... but cant rely on what you get on the screen after that. That has at least been my experience.

I got a VX3 yesterday. Bench testing is deeper than my AT and hitting the yard and a local park turned up targets I had missed. But it is waaaaaaay too soon for me to endorse it.

The local dealer is a great place to get walked through a machine. But that guy is gonna sell you what he carries.... so if you can, find another dealer that sells a competitive line and get the bigger picture.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread