How long has everyone been Detecting for?

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Desertfox1

Greenie
Nov 8, 2009
Started in 1964, took a break and got going again a little over 20 years ago. Started with one of the very first detectors Garrett ever made for sale.

Nevada Coyote

Oct 20, 2009
Yerington, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Gold Digger, Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started back in 80 something, bought my first detector from a friend who was selling Tesoros. Got a cutlass II, used it while I was on the way to work, doing guard duty for a contractor. Kept the Tesoro for over twenty years. Sold it to a friend of mine for 40 bucks, I told him who I bought it from. He said it was probably stolen from a warehouse in Vegas. Anyway I now have a Whites Gold Master, and a Gold Bug, and a gold digger. I've found lots of stuff, no gold, yet. I have fun with them.
Nevada Coyote

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I purchased by first detector around 95. I was still in my twenties and had always been interested in detecting but I was very self conscious of the image I might be giving off (I was still into the bar scene, single and had other 'interests'). It was not until around ten years later that my girlfriend at the time really pushed me into it. She would say 'If it is something I was interested in then I should really pursue it'. I joined a local club, T-net and married that girlfriend a few years later. I peaked in my detecting time a little over two years ago. Then my son was born and we have another little one due in 11 days. I forsee a big dip in my detecting time for a few years but I will surpass my detecting peak again but not for awhile...lol. I now have other 'interests' again...can't wait for those interests to be old enough to join me out in the field... :icon_thumright:

Happy hunting to the old timers through newbies...keep posting your finds so I can live through them until I'm back. :hello2:

NJ

BTW The two 'interests' mentioned above are completely different although the first one lead directly to the second one... :wink:

Desertvet

Nov 4, 2011
Apollo Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tomorrow will be two weeks detecting for me... Got me a Garrett Ace 150 on the 3rd of this month and really like it, and seem to be doing pretty well at learning my machine and finding goodies... I'm hooked!!!! :icon_thumleft:
MightyMouse said:
I started back in....... Hmmm have to think now lol I belive it was 1984ish. We were living in Scotland, my dad was into it and he had got me a Whites coin master i think. He was using a Bounty Hunter Red Baron(which i still have to this day) After Scotland he stop but i kept going with the hobby. Over the years i sorta quit for a little while but then got back into it. Still injoying the hobby like i did back in the day. HH John

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Started in '94 but didn't get real serious about it till three-four years ago. It was learning about discrimination that got me to spend more time with the hobby. Now it occupies half my prospecting(nugget shooting) time also. Coin shooting(beaches and parks) is the other half of my detecting time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread