if you want to have a chance to break even
& Have a Better chance
of Maybe coming ahead, Go to a Club hunt in your own town,
where they planted alot of silver.

I Don't think these Organized events are About
making your money back.

of course this is My opinion.

Maybe they shouldn't generate so much hype about the hunts they put on

Exactly. You don't pump everyone up about finds and put them on a site that has very little. I have no idea if that was the case or not, but isn't something that should happen.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
metal mania said:
buzzgator said:
I went on a paid hunt once called old dominion relic dig. I knew it was a seeded hunt and I dug over 60 targets mostly 3 ringers did find a few things that werent seeded. The food was good nice prizes and a great group of guys I got to hunt with. I proly neva would have went on one but my cousin was sort of a sponser he had shirts made up for it and invited me to go with him. I guess my point is its going to be what u make it, if u go in it expecting to find a plate or that elusive button then ur going to be dissapointed.
just curious was the seeding insider info u had or common knowledge
There was absolutely NO seeding at this event. The finds I dug, and the finds everyone else dug were 100 percent legit. I highly doubt a 8,000 -10,000.00 Kearny Cross relic was seeded in the ground in a remote corn field. Some guys did well, and a few didn't fare so well. That's the way it goes on Civil war hunts. There are never any guarantees . I personally did quite well regardless of what machine I was using. Granted I was one the GPX users, we all still had to work for the relics like all CW hunts. Theses sites have all been hunted hard for years. It's when the farmewrs plow that new ones are audible. I watched as some guys were swinging there machines so hard, that I swear the coil was going to fly off the shaft like a Frisbee. The term low and slow holds for all relic hunting success. I'll continue to support both The Relic Rescue, and Diggin in Va. venues. If I knew these hunts were seeded I don't think I would honestly participate myself.

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
I didnt intend to imply that the hunt you were involved in was a seeded hunt. It was my experience with a paid hunt that happened to be seeded.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodland Detectors said:
metal mania said:
buzzgator said:
I went on a paid hunt once called old dominion relic dig. I knew it was a seeded hunt and I dug over 60 targets mostly 3 ringers did find a few things that werent seeded. The food was good nice prizes and a great group of guys I got to hunt with. I proly neva would have went on one but my cousin was sort of a sponser he had shirts made up for it and invited me to go with him. I guess my point is its going to be what u make it, if u go in it expecting to find a plate or that elusive button then ur going to be dissapointed.
just curious was the seeding insider info u had or common knowledge

Theses sites have all been hunted hard for years. It's when the farmewrs plow that new ones are audible.

Actually those can be the worst pounded sites because the plow does turn up stuff once or twice, but after that it starts to get very thin. And because almost every target has moved into the open you don't even have the tough ones to work out. When I go to someone's "beat sites" that have been hunted for years I would much rather hunt non disturbed ground and try to get the masked or deep ones. It really comes down to how many times a field was plowed, then hunted.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
why pay hundreds when you can go to the library and find your own sites. They are all listed there.
The 158 volumes of WAR OF THE REBELLION, RECORDS OF UNION AND CONFEDERATE ARMIES.
You would be surprised at how many sites have never been hunted. I think they are listed by state, so you only have to hit a couple of volumes. Invest the time and find the relics. Frank

OP
OP
bearbqd

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
why pay hundreds when you can go to the library and find your own sites. They are all listed there.
The 158 volumes of WAR OF THE REBELLION, RECORDS OF UNION AND CONFEDERATE ARMIES.
You would be surprised at how many sites have never been hunted. I think they are listed by state, so you only have to hit a couple of volumes. Invest the time and find the relics. Frank
I have hunted plenty of sites on my own and found tons. Just thought it would be nice to go on one of these big ones where supposedly the general public has had limited access in the past and had the potential for tons of finds being that it was such huge encampments.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
pennyfarmer said:
I second Jeff's opinion. :thumbsup:

This whole entire hobby is not about making money. I would go on one of these hunts if I ever get the chance. I talk with people about my treasure hunts and one of the first questions I hear is "what is your most valuable item". I think don't you want to hear the story I want to tell you? Most of my favorite stories are about no treasure but the thought of treasures.
I don't go to any kind of hunts ..payed , seeded , club or annual competition treasure hunts............... Don't get me wrong i just love to hunt but not that type.................. And i don't lie about why i hunt or try to give a bunch of Bull S__t .............Like i am not in it for the finds or money or gold ect. .......... For me i love to do it and i am in it for making money.............. We all are in it for the finds.............. The money .......... I am not a pompous a_s you know donkey. I don't lie to try to make my self look better to others ...................... I AM IN IT FOR THE MONEY>>>>...

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I attend a paid hunt nearly every year, but it doesn't cost anywhere near what you paid. Also it is a nonprofit hunt and all the fees go back to the entrants in the way of food or entertainment furnished by the host. Some of the money goes to buy prizes for the lucky few who find one of the prize tokens that are "planted" at the site. No one to my knowledge attends just to win a prize and everyone goes home with great memories of a fun time visiting with acquired friends old and new of the same ilk who are there just to enjoy the comradery. And a few even find some nice artifacts related to the historical sites. But some find nothing or very little. It depends on if you put that coil in the right spot, a combination of luck and skill. Monty

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok I guess I need to voice my thoughts. I attended this hunt and I had a great time. Yes it was the first hunt for this organization which is ran very similar to the DIV hunts which are attended by several hundred people. I went because I could not attend the DIV hunt since it fell on my anniversary and I really love going on these hunts. I really find it hard to believe that you did not find more than you did. I hunted all three days at the Confederate campsite and I found my best ever Civil War relic. I was the one that found the Confederate Script "I" button with C S on it. That is a very rare button. I also found a Confederate Scabbard Mount with the ring which is another hard to find relic. I also found several bullets and buttons as well. I was using an MXT PRO and was finding my finds 8" deep right around everyone else who was using the GPX's. Now I did talk to several who never found anything or did not find much. One gentleman said he could not get a good signal. He was only listening for the high tones. I told him that all of my bullets and buttons were reading like iron targets. I told him that on that soil there you have to dig every target. I saw him on the last day and he still was only listening for the high tones. Others I saw were swinging so fast there was no way they were going to hear anything. I was hunting very slow. A lot slower than I hunt here in Tennessee but in that soil that is what you have to do. I saw a lot of excellent finds which made it a successful hunt. A successful hunt is one based on total finds and not indivdual finds. There were certain spots on that hunt that was producing very well. Again I had a great time and will gladly go back again to this hunt as well as the DIV's.

OP
OP
bearbqd

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said, I'm glad you and others found some good things. Only a few seemed to know exactly where the Confederate camp was located. I was told this was hot soil and what I thought that meant for my EXP II was that there would be a lot of noise which there wasn't. It was actually pretty easy on the ears to hunt. I did not realize that I needed to dig every iron sounding target so that was a mistake on my part. I may have gone over several good finds. I did try and dig every good sounding iron target though. Lessons learned for the Virginia soil.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
If they do it next year, I am going. I'll do a 10 hour drive. I'll spend 200 for the food and lodging. I will be bringing a good machine with a big concentric. I will expect to find Bo Diddaly. I will dig iron crap till I go a big whacky.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread