Help me define....

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
I am new to TH'ing and MD'ing. Reading local lost treasure legends has be amazing but I need some help. Im putting this out there at the risk of sounding or making myself look stupid but here goes. The Fitzgerald gang used a cave in Hands Pass as a hideout. Im interested in what other hunters would call a cave. A rocky over hang that acts like a roof, a hole in a hillside to go underground, or is there something else? I live in the area known as Hands Pass. There a some large rock formations in the area that I will be exploring this week. Also at some point within the last hundered years a roadway was built removinog some of one of the hills there. Im a beleiver though, the Fitzgerald loot is still there, and its time for someone to find it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jay

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to tnet as for sounding foolish shoot from the lip put da metal to da pedal go all out for da glory dayz.

now the above sounded foolish what your considering is any thing but. I am sure many will tell you the 3 rules to successful metal detecting are.

1.Research
2.Research
3.Research

As for caves I think this be a red herring so to speak this could mean some thing like a under ground cavern I suspecting.

You may consider conducting a safety assessment informing people what time your leaving returning etc as you may encounter danger of one kind or another, perhaps using google earth taking a flight to survey the target area.

I wish you good luck in your endeavours

Double MM

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
after doing Reserch in the New york times
Newspaper Archives, it became Obvious to me.
to writers,
A cave is anything a Person can Hide in,
Including a Pot hole, with Boards & dirt on top for a roof.
And Lean-to's in hard to see places, & Basements.

So you'll not only want to check caves you can walk in,
But Holes & Crevices you can Fall & Crawl in.
& Yes Overhangs :thumbsup:

Pretty Much any place you can Hide, for a Few Minutes
is a cave.

OP
OP
T

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for welcoming me MM. From my home I can walk to my suspected location. I love to get out and ride my dirt bike and ironically, thats where the rock formations are. And I would travel with a partner for saftey. Im heading out after the sun comes up this morning.

Thanks Jay

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a P.s. ;

A cave back then could even be a Crevice
that is only Big enough to
stick a Bottle or Jar in.

HortonRockWall2.jpg

206.jpg

OP
OP
T

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
The legend refers to the Fitzgeralds using a cave as a hideout, I assumed that was a place for them to go. But as a hideout for their money that makes sense to. That opens up many more possiblities.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tat2guy said:
The legend refers to the Fitzgeralds using a cave as a hideout, I assumed that was a place for them to go. But as a hideout for their money that makes sense to. That opens up many more possiblities.

Yes in the case of a Hideout,
It could have been an old Cellar
From a Home that has fallen to the Ground.
Or old Cabin that has Been grown over by weeds
to the Point it can only be seen by Looking Very close
also. "Cave" Used less ink when Printing a Newspaper
in the 18th. & 19th. Centuries. :tongue3:

In the case of a Hiding spot for a cache,
It could be Under roots of a Very Large tree
that is long gone.

OP
OP
T

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok I spent the day out walking the area. I took a close look at a large area along a ridge with a near vertical rock face. There were many small crevices that a small child maybe able to wiggle into. No worries I would sacrifice my 2 boys, lol. The area was like the second pic that jeff in pa posted. The oddest thing that I found was small "sink hole" about 4' X 7'. It was at the top of the ridge just above the steep rock face. I'll try and post a pic.

So at these point, would someone with experience MD'ing like to partner up with me on this??? It is in the Coatesville area.

Thanks Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread