Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Oct 2011
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Garrett Ace 350
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Anyone remember Gene Ballinger, "In The Steps" magazine, "The Association" etc.?

Does anyone remember Gene Ballinger who used to published "In The Steps"/"In The Steps Of The Treasure Hunter" magazine in the 70's through to 80's and back in the 60's ran "The Association" which was a national metal detector sales organization (one of the first, if memory is correct) and did a lot of other things in the treasure hunting/metal detecting/similar arena.

I know the mere mention of the name Gene Ballinger often generates all kinds of comments in old-timers who remember him and all the things he or didn't do and I'd just like a sense of how many of those on this site even remember him and his legacy and how they feel about said, such as it is, TIA.

Charter Member
    gb
    Jul 2009
    47 times

Re: Anyone remember Gene Ballinger, "In The Steps" magazine, "The Association" etc.?

no

Feb 2008
    226 times

Re: Anyone remember Gene Ballinger, "In The Steps" magazine, "The Association" etc.?

Pretty sure Springfield knew the man. If you look up his old posts he might enlighten. Another one that knew Ballinger
    hasn't posted anything in a year. I would start in the Treasure Legends - Lost Adams section.

Apr 2007
    Michigan
    Have used White's, Fisher's, Garrett's

I remember him ;o)

As you know, Dad passed away in 1999. He would be 76 years old today.

Dad made many friends over the years, and had many colleagues who admired his love of history. History is what it really is all about, is it not? He loved what he did, and worked very hard to share what he knew with people who had the same interests. I haven't seen him mentioned much on this site, but I know there are people out there who remember him fondly (and some maybe not so fondly). I often wonder what he'd think of some of the things that are going on in the world today. He was a good man and we miss him.

us
    Oct 2011
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Garrett Ace 350

I posted to see if there was any interest in a "YTSWR" re-issue, Gene's bio

I started this thread to see how many old-timers were around when Gene was publishing "In The Steps" magazine and might remember him.

In interest of full disclosure, I began my friendship and association with Gene when I purchased some adspace in 'Steps and somehow eventually became Associate Editor of the magazine a couple of years later and when things got truly insane in Gene's personal life and he was charged with murdering someone on his ranch in New Mexico and he and family moved to Florida soon after, though still shaking my head how all that happened actually happened, I wrote Gene's "biography" of which we sold 5,000 copies autographed by Gene and myself pre-publication @$25 each and another four press runs of 5,000 @$10 eventually through word-of-mouth for the expressed purpose of raising money for his legal defense (another story I'd rather not go into now).

Anyway, with Year 2011 being the 30th anniversary of the publication of Gene's biography "Yes, The Sun Will Rise" and the fact was and is the publication of YSTWR meant a lot to a lot of different people at the time it came out, I was and maybe still am considering re-issuing it through Amazon but considering the hundreds of hours it would take to do so, I'd like to have a sense of whether it would be worth my time, if my time spent re-publishing it would be welcome by the treasure hunting community or not. Comments?

May 2012
    ZiaStar,
    I live in New Mexico and have had occassion to see copies of a news paper named "The Courier". I believe it was published by your dad. I am desperately trying to get back copies of this pub. Can you help?
    Thanks
    The Colonel

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    991 times
    err Colonel, you do realize that Ziastar, much like you has only posted once and that was just over 5 years ago

I think you're chasing a false signal

us
    Sep 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Gene and I were in the same Army unit in Korea about 1955. We kept in touch into the mid 1960's but I lost track of him when he moved to New Mexico. I always thought the best of him and was surprised to learn recently what happened to him in the years that followed. I would welcome off line contact with Gene's family and close friends.

Jun 2004
    118 times
    I'd love to see some technical information on Ballinger newsletters.
    Names
    Dates of Publication
    Overview of content

Anyone know this?
    (For over 10 years, the internet's best source of information on Utah Treasures and Mines!)

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors