THE YARD HUNT /method and finds

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Mostly for the new guys. I hunt lots with 200 year old homes. They seam to be the most productive. I get permission by asking to search the yard for free and splitting the finds 50/50. I start by eyeballing the yard looking for raised and depressed areas. I do a random search of these areas and around old trees or stumps. I also search pathways. All these areas are the most productive. This lot belonged to a fellow artest and she did the digging. She lit up every time she found something. I suspect she just might get a detector. Her mother lives in the house, she liver in Va. OK, total search time was less than 8 hours . Here are the results some of which have been posted before, and one has not been re-sized yet.
Items: silver dollar size hunt sean stamped tin disc-- probably on cosmetic jar lid.
:200 year old blacksmith made ax head,13" deep--probably used to clear land
:Amoco brass oil tags-- probably from the 1920/30 era
:Gold ring with 3ct. blood red ruby-- value $3000+

Attachments

• steeplechase 700-.jpg
    steeplechase 700-.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,001
  • ax300.jpg
    ax300.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 933
  • oil tags 700-.jpg
    oil tags 700-.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,013
  • ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,018
  • steeplechase 700-.jpg
    steeplechase 700-.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 989
  • ax300.jpg
    ax300.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 932
  • oil tags 700-.jpg
    oil tags 700-.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,014
  • ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,005
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Come on you guys. Lets see what you are finding in yards. There must be other yard hunters that get Lucky once in a while. I struck out on 2 yards after this, but there's always the next one !
Frank

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
That axe head is awesome! I have only found one trade axe and it was not nearly that nice!

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
oxbow, I almost canned it. it looked like a rust block of iron until I washed it in a bucket of water. It is well documented now. The house is over 200 years old and it was 13" deep. that indicates that it was used to clear the land for the house. It is a blacksmith made ax. That means that it was made from 2 pieces of metal and hammer forged together. But the blacksmith cooled it to fast causing a fault in the cutting edge that broke. It was apparently just left behind 200 years ago. It had quite a story to tell.
fortune hunter, That ring was found just as I was ready to leave. On my XLT it kept switching from ring to nail. It was popped out with my probe from between 3" & 6"I couldn't get the exact dept because there was a nail down there with it. It is valued at app. $3000. I am working with the historical society trying to get permission to hunt the historical mansions in the area. I have done them a few favors in the form of art work and it is payback time. Frank
PS good luck on that 30x30 and show us the finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread