old roads and river fords?

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of a farm field that on a 1877 map had a road going through it and where it crossed a river. Later maps show the road was gone in the 1940's. has anyone ever detected a spot like this and if so what can I expect to find? I have permission from the farmer to detect it and will be going out there this coming Saturday. Let me know if you think it would be a good spot or not.

This top map is dated 1877 and the satelite image of the same area.

Attachments

• 1877plattnew.jpg
    1877plattnew.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 599
  • nownew.jpg
    nownew.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 572

xd35

Greenie
Jan 25, 2011
Leavenworth, Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ACE 350/Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would resize the aerial photo and make it transparent then overlay onto the old map. Will make it easier to see differences.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also curious to see what people have to say. I have a place that is similar that I take a boat to quite often. I just need to get off my duff and check it out.

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rivers path has changed over the years as evident by the satelite view. You also have to ask how accurate maps were in 1877.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it is or was a crossing there was swimming there and in the water you could expect to find anything from coins to jewelry...d2

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
d2 said:
If it is or was a crossing there was swimming there and in the water you could expect to find anything from coins to jewelry...d2
Thats what i'm thinking, if the area was viable as a swimming hole. Concentrate on finding the spot where the road crossed the river and hunt both sides of the river and on each bank or whatever looks like the best prospect of being used as a climbing in/out point. Also the spot where they may have parked their vehicles or tied up the horses/wagons. If the riverbank wasn't accessible right at the bridge, there would be a point down (or up) river a small bit that would have been used as a climbing out point and a path leading to it. An old path may or may not be a little hard to spot, depending on the environmental conditions of the area, in regards to the local flora of the area.

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
xd35 said:
I would resize the aerial photo and make it transparent then overlay onto the old map. Will make it easier to see differences.

Better still. Go to Google Earth and add Image overlay( your old map). Lighten image where you
can see aerial photo thru map. Save. Then with Screen capture program, save as .jpg.
Now you got both together.

PS: Look for Old rock crossings. Stuff usually buried on banks there

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
The single most reliable landmarks there are the odl property lines and if/how they match up with the current fence lines, hedges, etc..

Since that plat map is from 1877 it may be well off the original river crossing. The original road and crossing may have been well up stream or down stream. I've worked a few of those in this area and they were miles off where the towns were finally settled and roads/bridges put in. Most of what I found came from early travelers who chose to cross during higher water, so they would get tipped, losing, by my finds, their cooking gear, tools, horse tack and horses, as evidence by some of the very old shoes with complete sets of nails in them at the sites.

The real hunt begins on either side of the crossing, if they made a camp to wait for better water levels, or to caulk and seal the wagon(s) when they'd try to float them across. If there was a ferry, then it might be a better bet there's gonna be a camp on the side waiting for the crossing. But you'd probably have to go back about 35-45 years prior to that map to find out if that was the case.

One thing is good, you have a nice starting point for further exploration since you'd be able to guesstimate their next stop, as first travelers were fairly consistent in their rate of travel. So also look for an old grove/orchard about 8-10 miles past that crossing and check out it's history. At one or more of those two sites there was a good chance for a Sunday camp and a local parsonnage or preacher as well.

Nice work!

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goverton said:
xd35 said:

Better still. Go to Google Earth and add Image overlay( your old map). Lighten image where you
can see aerial photo thru map. Save. Then with Screen capture program, save as .jpg.
Now you got both together.

PS: Look for Old rock crossings. Stuff usually buried on banks there

I took your instructions above and this is as close as I can get it. The river flooded in June of 1882 changing its path to where it is today.

Attachments

• overlay.jpg
    overlay.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 1,549

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
anywhere an old travel road and a river crossing "connected" is liable to be a good spot to detect -- traveling folks often stopped to reload their water barrels / camp for the night , bathe , try to catch fish for food and since trees are often thick by a river they might chop firewood as well if wood was scarce in the area for taking with them. --any road / river crossing spot is worth checking out in my book. :thumbsup: folks would often bury their money when they camped for the night nearby --that way if they were attacked they simply fled --and returned later on to reclaim their money --if the attackers wiped out the campers --they got nothing for their trouble , since they did not know where the cache was buried * -- so if the campers got "wiped out" there is a possiblity theres a buried cache left buried there.-- bandits would often attack a camp site while folks were sleeping to make it easy --often they wanted to kill most of em quickly and take one alive to make em talk and tell where the "hidden" cache was - the survivor knew he /she was a dead person -the bandits would not leave you alive to testify (they hung crooks back then) so often the survivors often said nothing taking their knowledge to the grave with them-

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
Looks like 90 and 190 mark the spots. That's where I would start in those light areas. The whole area from Lellar's southern line to the Moss plot looks like all good potential.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In response to your opening post. Hopefully you can expect to find a few old coins and/or relics. Also possible to find little or nothing. As to whether it's a good spot or not, only by detecting will you know for sure. Wherever people have been active there's a good chance for good finds so go for it. Shouldn't take to long to figure if it's worth your time or not. I would if it were my spot.
luvsdux

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a 1838 battle site (skirmish) located about a mile north west of this location that I have been pulling lots of lead (musket balls) out of. I also found a piece to a musket sideplate there. This area has seen a few people pass through it since the early 1800's.

you can see a picture of some of my finds at that location in this post: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,431036.0.html

eric n n.c.

Nov 25, 2008
NorthEast, N.C
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 Limited, Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've had real good success hunting fields next to old road beds in Va. This road had been around a very long time due to the finds I had found anywhere from Rev. on up to war between the states. I would work the fields, then follow the road through the woods where at one time it might have been a clearing there and find relics there. I've found it doesn't hurt to hunt the thicker stuff as well. Hope this helps and good luck.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It would certainly be worth checking out. If it was a frequently crossed area then there may have been a ferry crossing there back in the day. Or like others have said, a swimming hole. Anyplace near a river gets me excited. Lots of native american history near rivers.

-Swartzie

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why not pull some old deeds so you can pinpoint exactly where the river crossed.
From the deeds it will tell you how many feet of riverfront or mention where the river was in relation to said property.
It is not as hard you think. Some deeds may even have an old sketch attatched.
'The courthouse people love to help as they just sit on their duffs all day anyway. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread