TV Series - Looking for Hosts

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
American Pickers TV show did a episode where they were using metal detectors to search for relics. Some of the yahoo's on the farm they were searching offered to sell Civil War belt buckles that they admitted they took from graves. This is the kind of media coverage we don't need. These shows are produced for entertainment for sponsor money and that means sensationalism.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been in front of the camera before, I think I was picked by the other detectorist's to be interviewed as a deterrent to any would-be hunters wishing to dig at the site.
Wasn't looking my freshest.
Carl

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be sure, it's all about entertainment, but if it was conducted with the right spin and direction I think it could grab a huge audience. :thumbsup:

trainer

Feb 13, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
This is another way to screw this hobby up for all ,The media is not the same anymore its there to exaggerate and make people look bad I just don't trust the media circus.I rather it be kept like iit was before ..Secret shhh :tongue3:

jcono

Aug 31, 2011
Man, some of you folks are SO freakin' negative!! This could be an opportunity to show detectorists as stewards of the environment- folks who respect the land, remove trash they find, and recover artifacts (and art) to later be shared with the public once more. Not to mention those MD'ers who recover engagement rings, wedding bands, etc. for silly folks who lose them.
Of course you couldn't characterize the hobby as a "thrill a minute" endevour. But not much of life is constant thrills. Show it for what it is- lots of hard work for little, or no, payoff. When folks see that it's not as simple as** 1.) buy detector 2.) go waddle around the yard for a few minutes 3.) find treasure chest! Now I'm rich!! **they leap off the couch and clean out your favorite honeyholes, leaving candy wrappers and soda cans in their wake.
Go ahead, someone slam me for having no experience in the hobby. However, I have learned enough about MD'ing to realize that there are great hobbyists out there, who could make this project a really great thing.

tomisha

Tenderfoot
Nov 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Hi Heather;
I too was in the film business at one time, and thought about pitching a program with my Son and Myself.
What doesn't fit into the equation, is that I am the loose Cannon, and he is the responsible party.
He is the clean cut business end of the deal, and I am the long haired old man.
We are Treasure Hunters. Full time. My Father is an 84 year old Geologist. We get a lot of our leads from him.
Our searches branch out into all corners of this country, but never without extensive research to warrant a real recovery.
What your producers want, is to find something. On film, and find it big!
We have been on a site for three years now, (Part time) and going to close it down next year.
We have recovered a few coins dating to the original Cashe, Which kept us going. We have run with wild horses. We had fed Kit fox by hand, and watched as snakes ate it's prey.
Bring a camera into our world, and the National Geographic will want to buy the footage.

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
Well.. I contacted this woman - told her my background in TV and the such (16 years) and never heard from her again. :dontknow:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NewsMan said:
Well.. I contacted this woman - told her my background in TV and the such (16 years) and never heard from her again. :dontknow:

could be many reasons for this,
from being swamped at the moment,
to just still considering

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know the details or direction that this show (if realized) could take, but if it's about metal detecting I gotta agree with Trainer. Not good for the hobby! Too many opportunist! From all sides, from MD manufacturers/marketers to get rich fudge-up the environment/historically significant area make a buck opportunist. Not to mention the flood of people cold calling/knocking on doors for permission to hunt. You think you've been turned down to hunt a property in the past. The public will get tired of that real fast.

Don't get me wrong! I love Antiques Road Show, American Pickers, Storage Wars. But finds aren't what they used to be at the second hand stores or yard sales because the market is consumed with buyers. Most of us who MD/treasure hunt ,whether for a living or hobby, have a great respect for all that en compass's it. If you read posts throughout T'net you will find issues that we have from idiots leaving open holes and MDer's being mugged to public parks being off limits to us. Why? Opportunist and No Respect!
:icon_scratch:

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only and I mean only upside I could possibly see from this is, many high dollar machines will soon be available at pawn shop or garage sale near you.

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
Still have heard nothing. Than again... she wouldn't want me 'cuz I can barely find silver let alone real treasure! I nominate AQUA CHIGGER!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread