Anyone here get gold from Computer parts?

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it depends on the parts. Newer parts have much less gold. Older parts (especially those from the 70's and 80's) have more gold in them. You can google for companies that do the reclamation and get some basic prices for things like motherboards, CPU's, memory, and other parts.

The biggest problem with computer recycling is that it is hard to get your hands on just the valuable computer parts without also having to take in a bunch of hard to recycle plastic and junk. Nobody is going to tear apart their old mainframe and hand you the good stuff. They are going to expect you to take the whole thing. At that point the amount of gold you may recover might be significantly less than what it costs you to dispose of the unwanted/useless parts.

Again, google for it. There is plenty of information out there already. There is also a scrap metals forum on this site where it gets discussed quite often.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
It would be a waste of time to try to recover gold from computers.........

manorman

Dec 8, 2008
If you have a free source of computers and do not have to take the moniters you can make some extra money.
if you break them down and sort out the mother boards, PCI Modem Ram and daughter boards CPUs and save them tell you have a at least 5 to 10 lbs you can sale these for 4.00 to 15.00 dollars a pound to middle men(boardsort.com or others) or a bit more on e-bay. some old CPU's bring as much as 50.00 each.
the rest copper, wires, steal , transformers sell to you local scrap yard.
try not to get into a deal where you have to take the old CRT moniters it coast you 5.00 to 10.00 to get rid of those
you will make more money doing this then trying to get the gold yourself and dont have to mess with acids and fumes.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
goverton said:
I know some components have gold in them and I wonder if it is worthwhile to "mine for gold" on old computer parts.

Just something to think about.. There is about $0.27 worth of raw gold and silver in the average cell phone, and $0.69 in the average desktop computer. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread