general question between why a dredge and blower considered different ?

goldhunter_2

Tenderfoot
Nov 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a general question just for discussion purposes, I must be overlooking something with this but maybe someone can explain it.

First I know how both work, a suction dredge works by creating a vacuum that sucks up loose sediments (no digging auger) off the bottom and runs it up over a sluice box and back out where the sediment settles back to the bottom again , a blower is something we used 30 years ago on the bay to clean out boat slips and around docks it basically redirects the prop or jet wash straight down to blow the loose sediment up and away and with enough engine it actual digs a pretty decent hole. Both type systems you disturb an move loose sediment form one location on the bottom to another location. Environmentally a blower would do more damage to the aquatic eco system then the suction dredge.

Now where I am confused , I see many people talk about using the blowers and others have said suction dredges are illegal in Florida waters so why are they classified/considered as different ? :icon_scratch: ........... or am I missing something ..... maybe the blowers are all that is allowed on the lease permits and nowhere else or something like that ? :dontknow:

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi and welcome
after hours of painful research I think I've got it.

scroll down for the answer

ones called a dredge and the other a blower.

I hope this has been helpful :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dredges-drag lines, clam shells, etc, blowers, prop deflector plates, suction dredges, airlifts-which is what you are talking about, any thing that changes the bottom cannot be used in the waters of Florida, UNLESS you have a permit to do so. They look at anything that can change the bottom as the same. You can get a permit to deepen an existing private channel, and you can get a permit to dredge on a shipwreck site, but both are hard to impossible to get. An airlift will not work in shallow water. By shallow I mean less than 10' or so. They need a little vertical length for the air to expand, and create lift. A suction dredge wont lift up very far out of the water, unless you have a huge pump, but an airlift will. You need a big air compressor for it to work. You could also have a combo suction dredge with an airlift assist, if your goal is to use a riffle. Most treasure salvors do use a dredge, they blow out with a blower to remove a ton of sand, then work the area over if rocky, with a suction dredge. Or to get in very shallow water, they use a suction dredge. But they rarely use a dredge and a riffle, they just have the sucked up sand go off behind them.

OP
OP
G

goldhunter_2

Tenderfoot
Nov 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal mania,
I know someone would have to post a answer like this without reading the question.

OP
OP
G

goldhunter_2

Tenderfoot
Nov 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steve,
Thanks that makes a little more sense that there allowing any if you get permits and not excluding one or the other.

I am not familiar with airlifts I assume it is similar to a suction dredge but used air to create the suction instead of water. The smaller suction dredge pumps made be keene I was looking at are capable or 25' to 30' lift form the bottom to the surface. I was hoping for a dual purpose unit I could use here as well as other places but it sounds like the real issue is trying to get permits down here. How hard and at what cost are the Florida permits do you know?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..there is a section devoted to Gold .......................

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you have a wreck in state waters, they have not issued one in more than 15 years. If out of State waters maybe, but you said in 6 to 60 feet of water, so I assume you found something in State waters. If you havent found anything and are just wondering, that is the story. If you have found something, then you cant use a dredge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread