City Park Hunting

Desertvet

Nov 4, 2011
Apollo Beach, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone happen to know the laws about hunting in city parks? I've been hunting a few near my house, and have never been approached and told I couldn't detect there...however there was recently a comment made to me regarding park hunting that I am unsure of it's validity. Is there LAWS that state city parks are NOT to be metal detected or is it all just hearsay? Any information would be well appreciated. Happy hunting to you all!

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is a sign stating no metal detecting then I would respect that. If not then have a good time.

Don't go out of your way asking for "permission". In other words I would avoid asking any city employee at all costs. If you can not find any law prohibiting it either on signs or online for your specific area then I would just do it.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will vary from place to place. I have found that a lot of towns and cities have the various laws posted on their websites, so check there.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
desert vet, penny farmer and Rginn give good answers so far. There are very very few cities across the United States, that have any prohibitions on metal detecting. It is simply an un-addressed issue at most all city-levels, since it's such a niche hobby/rarity, and for the most part, considered innoccuous (unless you're being some sort of nuisance, leaving a mess, raiding obvious historic landmarks, etc....).

The reason penny-farmer says not to go asking, is because sometimes you can get a "no", where no real prohibition exists. Ie.: some deskbound clerk whose image is geeks with shovels, will simply spin their own opinion, saying "no" because you might bother the earthworms or something (mind you, all the while, where no one might actually care less, or ever have noticed you). So the better way, if you are skittish, is just to look at the city websites list of park rules (city ordinances, etc..). Do a key word search under "metal detectors/ing", for instance. If it is silent on the issue, THEN SO BE IT. You wouldn't ask permission to fly a frisbee would you?

Now this is not to say that you will never get a busy-body nosing in, in the field. Because let's face it: you're in an odd hobby that draws the stares of the curious, right? And there's always the connotation that you will leave holes, marks, or whatever, right? (which of course, you won't leave any trace of your presence). So a little discretion is in order here: Even though there may be no prohibitions (so long as you're being neat and clean), yet you still want to pick off-times, low traffic, etc.. So for example, if you arrive and see an entire maintenance crew working on that park, on that day, well ..... pick another park for the time-being, etc.....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny, as I read the top posts I thought of Tom or CA and what he would say and there he was next one down. Tom and everyone is right, don't ASK, just have fun and leave no evidence you where there and pack out any trash you find. It is easy for clerks and such desk jockeys to just say no than to be put on the spot. Unless you see any notice written down, have fun, nobody will care. Many will be curious and might ask you how your doing. Never show them the gold if your so lucky.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread