Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You are not allowed to hunt there ... They are arresting ones that go in there and take any thing........ And calling them looters...........

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
Keppy said:
You are not allowed to hunt there ... They are arresting ones that go in there and take any thing........ And calling them looters...........
I would think if detectors stayed away from the graves that it would be ok. That sucks! Once in a lifetime chance to find great old relics and coins.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup.... all sorts of stuff turning up.

You can hunt lakes in Texas as long as the area has no archaeological interest. There were arrests a few months ago from people disturbing and taking artifacts from an NA burial site. Know your lakes' reservoir boundary and follow Army Corp of Engineers rules if they apply and you are all good. (and dont collect NA stuff). DONT TOUCH THE DOCKS OR BOATHOUSES.

I am finding mostly fishing lures and clad...keychains. Found a pistol and turned it into the Sheriffs Dept. One guy a few towns over found a $26K diamond watch. Roland58 found a tribal ring last time out.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If you read about this in various newspaper articles, you'll see the scary stuff referring to "looters" and so forth, was cited from state-level archaeologist type persons. Well duh, what did you expect. They would say that even if they saw you in the local sandbox.

I mean, wouldn't that be a little like asking a PETA (an animal rights wacko group) rep for a newspaper article: "Can you tell our readers if they can leave their pet bunny in the car for a minute while they run into the 7-11 to buy a soda?" The PETA rep would scream "neeooohhh! you can be arrested for animal cruelty, blah blah blah". Well duh, what did you expect coming from a peta rep wacko? Thus the same psychology applies here: What did you expect coming from an archie, who inherently hates md'ing or anyone to so much as pick up a seashell? ::)

I suspect that the supposed "arrests" were for indian artifact stuff. And as Lakemonster's post shows, fishing lures, casual fumble finger's type losses, etc.... no one really cares. Oh sure, is that to say if you ask enough archie's "can I?" that you will not eventually find someone to scream "no". But if you start down that route, you might as well hang up the detector in your closet, because I gaurantee you, if you ask enough people, you can always find someone to tell you "no", for every single place.

sqwaby

Apr 13, 2008
Yep, the state archies didn't bother(for whatever reason) to check out most of these places before the dams were built and they were flooded and they still won't for lack of interest or funding. But don't you get caught "looting" them, as you would be stealing things that will never be recovered anyway.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
In the Lake Whitney area, there were a bunch of Indian sites buried by the lake when the dam went in. Because the lake is about 15 foot low, some of those sites have become available to see....however, if you are caught looking at them and going near them the state archies and the corp of engineers say that you are looting or contemplating looting them. They will arrest you, if you have a rock in your pocket. The archies won't be working them, because like someone else said they don't have the funding or lack of interest....I'm interested and share the knowledge with others like me but I don't have a piece of paper on my wall to show that I am accreditted by a university, so I can't look.....goat

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
Metal detect all you want. Dig through native graves and you are a looter in my book. From what I gather ALL native stuff is off limits in Texas anyway. Not sure if I agree with that, but it is what it is and if you are caught taking stuff illegally, it is called looting in any dictionary you look in.

An applicable definition: To take as spoils; steal.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never could understand why artifacts (not from graves) couldn't be recovered to be shared with everyone instead of being left in the ground to rot away into nothing. But it appears that is the majority of consensus among the people with the power to make those decisions. So much could be learned from the leavings of past generations. That is the greatest loss to me. Monty

Alienson

Nov 15, 2011
Austin, Texas, area
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Be advised that MDing is banned in the so-called five Highland Lakes at and northwest out of Austin. These are are LCRA (Lower Colorado River Authority) bodies. Also, all LCRA property has banned MDing. This includes even down at the Gulf Coast in the Corpus Christi area area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread