Anyone else losing weight on the metal detecting diet?

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
How much weight did you lose in your first real season of metal detecting?

I'm gonna be blunt. Larger people are not digging everything and are usually saying "i'm only digging the good targets". So your basically just doing what your MD tells you every time??? How is that even fun???

So to the people that do dig how much weight have you lossed since you started MD'ing and how many holes on average do you personally think you dig in an hour. Your best guess is all i'm asking. Its for my own research and curiosity.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally don't think that metal detecting is physical enough to take much weight off of anyone but the obese. Lately since I started to detect more I have been putting on weight but its more of a cause from the weather changing and my physical activity slowing in the winter.

To me metal detecting tends to be a more mental activity. I think that the physical aspect is good but one thing you hear seasoned vets tell new people is "learn your machine" not "do your cardio". So this tells me its not considered a physical activity by anyone who does it often.

To your question about holes an hour I am going to say 30 holes an hour.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't lost any weight but I have had shoulder surgery :(

Jonnie

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
I think Pennyfarmer is right. I always gain 15 pounds or so during the winter(being though it's my off season), and the winter is when I MD the most. Unless your metal detector weighs 30 pounds and you sprint while detecting, I dont think you can lose substantial weight while detecting. It is definitly better for you than watchin' t.v. though. Keep in mind that everyones metabolism is different!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gained 6 pounds!!!! Red lost 20!!!! My weight gain Is because of Where I Hunt!!! I love to stop For a treat!!! On my way to Or On My way from detecting!!! Red Often orders something But never finishes it!!! So I have to eat Her left overs Or they Will Go to Waste!!! I'm not Complaining Red cant afford to Loose any more Or the Wind Will Blow her Down the Beach!!!! :laughing7: :laughing7:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Directly I stop putting in five hours plus a day detecting I put a stone in weight on. Doesn't matter if I cut food intake down, I even cut out one meal a day completely when I hurt my back at the start of the year.

So I'm condemned to detect for ever bit like a new take on the Flying Dutchman story !

OP
OP
underarock

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
pennyfarmer said:
I personally don't think that metal detecting is physical enough to take much weight off of anyone but the obese. Lately since I started to detect more I have been putting on weight but its more of a cause from the weather changing and my physical activity slowing in the winter.

To me metal detecting tends to be a more mental activity. I think that the physical aspect is good but one thing you hear seasoned vets tell new people is "learn your machine" not "do your cardio". So this tells me its not considered a physical activity by anyone who does it often.

To your question about holes an hour I am going to say 30 holes an hour.

I was in a bit of a physical lull for about a year and put on some weight. After metal detecting for the summer it all came off and I lost about 35 lbs. was 225 now 190. I was not obese at 225 either.
I'm not saying its not a mental activity at all. This is a very mentally fatiguing hobby. Deciding in half a second to dig or not dig based on beeps and visual displays and numbers etc not to mention whatever kind of research you put in. Yeh tiring just talking about it.
I didn't mean to imply that this isn't mentally challenging by any means.
One could also make the argument though that making a choice to be more physical by digging more targets so that you could possibly double your "good" finds would be a wiser choice then just digging what you "think" is a good target. Depending on your location of course.

If you consider 3-6 hrs a day often then I will be the first to tell you that it is certainly a workout for me. :icon_thumright:
thanks I appreciate the honesty.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
underarock said:
I asked a question about how many holes you THINK you dig per hour on average awhile back and was not happy with most of the responses. I was looking for a number and was given excuses to why the number of items/holes dug is not important… not what I asked but ok.

I'm gonna be blunt. Larger people are not digging everything and are usually saying "i'm only digging the good targets". So your basically just doing what your MD tells you every time??? How is that even fun???

So to the people that do dig how much weight have you lossed since you started MD'ing and how many holes on average do you personally think you dig in an hour. Your best guess is all i'm asking. Its for my own personal research that i'm doing.

Yes, combined with a low fat, low cal diet I dropped about 10 more pounds when I started swinging this Summer and I kept it off.
Key is to get a fast swinging unit though. You need to keep your metabolism primed.
Keep walking, active, and moving when you are on low fat/cal diet.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish I lost weight detecting, as far as number of holes dug per hour, I would guess 15-20. It doesn't take long to find a target but maybe up to 5 mins to recover.

OP
OP
underarock

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
Chug and Red said:
I gained 6 pounds!!!! Red lost 20!!!! My weight gain Is because of Where I Hunt!!! I love to stop For a treat!!! On my way to Or On My way from detecting!!! Red Often orders something But never finishes it!!! So I have to eat Her left overs Or they Will Go to Waste!!! I'm not Complaining Red cant afford to Loose any more Or the Wind Will Blow her Down the Beach!!!! :laughing7: :laughing7:

Well I can't blame you for stopping for treats ;D I too am a fan of uneaten lady leftovers. My lady not other peoples ladies.

OP
OP
underarock

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
Coin Digger said:
I wish I lost weight detecting, as far as number of holes dug per hour, I would guess 15-20. It doesn't take long to find a target but maybe up to 5 mins to recover.

15- 20 is pretty slow for me but I bring home way way more trash than most. 5 mins with one hole usually means i'm battling tree roots or lots and lots of rocks.
I get the feeling most of the people saying they don't lose any weight are already rail thin as it is and/or have been doing this for years now.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
underarock said:
Coin Digger said:

15- 20 is pretty slow for me but I bring home way way more trash than most. 5 mins with one hole usually means i'm battling tree roots or lots and lots of rocks.
I get the feeling most of the people saying they don't lose any weight are already rail thin as it is and/or have been doing this for years now.

From locating, then pin pointing, recovery, fill in the hole all under 5 mins. Then finding your next target assuming you can find 15 - 20 targets an hour.
Really your faster than that? - Just asking.
For me metal detecting is very relaxing and clears my head.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never lost any weight because I always stop on the way home and get a giant cheese burger and a chocolate shake with fries. Detecting all morning just makes me hungry! But the walking and bending and stooping led to a double hip replacement! All that aside, I think the exercise you get probably makes you a healthier person. Monty

Grace O'Malley

Oct 23, 2011
RV, NE Florida (This week)
Detector(s) used
DFX, Sun-Ray pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Only" about 15 pounds, BUT...When I first started with the DFX I was worn out after an hour of swinging and could barely get back up after squatting to dig one hole. Yesterday.....I went for 5 HOURS straight with only a couple of 5 minute gatorade breaks, dug at least 50 holes with no problem getting back up, and only quit because it started getting dark. Yes, I'm happy with the metal-detecting diet!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got permission from my "boss" (read spouse) to upgrade to a more expensive detector with the pretext of getting out more, losing weight, breathing fresh air and light exercise to improve my health. Then I went hunting on a refinery with it's pertroleum fumes and poisonous gas leaks all around. I had to have a double hip replacement the doc attributes to all the bending and stooping to dig up clad and a couple of bouts with pneumonia. My Boss now looks at me with an accusing eye every time I get out my detector and clean the dust off from not being used in over a year! When I tell her I am going detecting she says,"Break a leg"! I wonder how she means that? But I have to tell her that with any luck I can get back surgery next spring.
M :BangHead: onty

dbennett7

Aug 7, 2011
do not know about anybudy else bit i have gone from 330 to about 270 in the last 6 to 8 monthsit is better exersize than you think dennis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread