Detection Depth - Large Cache

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I did not mention the Garrett treasure hound because I do not consider it a true 2 Box I had one but sold it in 30 days. The price seems high also. You could pick up a Real 2 Box for about $300 used.I paid about $250 for mine. You should check things out before jumping in. It's all in the details. Well good luck. Frank

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
goverton mentioned renting a detector, which is a good idea. I rented a 2 box for a hunt once. I didn't find anything, but my friend with his Minelab had to dig 3' for cans!
R

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Detecton Depth - Large Cache

Tuberale said:
Welcome to TNet, Matt!

You pose an interesting question. A single freshly-minted Wheatie weighs 3.11 grams. It would take 321.543 to make a kilogram, or 2.2 pounds. It would take 45.454 times that kilogram to weigh 100 pounds. So that 100 pound cache of copper coins would have almost $16,000 face value (in pennies).

I'd bet almost any detector would ring out on that cache at 2 feet. But just to be sure, when shopping for a detector, try to take a large copper skillet with you, and see how close to the coil the detector has to be to signal.
I think you misplaced a decimal point in your calculations. I'm surprised no one else mentioned it yet.
1983 to Present pennies weigh 2.5 grams
1982 and earlier (Modern & Wheat Lincolns) pennies weigh 3.11 grams
1 pound = 453.59 grams
Divide 453.59 by each of the weights per penny , that's how many pennies there are per pound.

100lbs of pre '82 will amount to 145.84
100lbs. of post '82 will amount to 181.36

OP
OP
M

mredmond

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tuberale might have misplaced a decimal but the bigger mistake was assuming I'm looking for pennies ;D In either case I appreciate his reply and all of the others here.

I am buying that Treasure Hound and while I might be over-paying, I've already promised the guy I'd buy it and he pulled his ad. I'm not going to break that promise. If I find this hoard it will be worth it. If not, I can sell the thing, perhaps at a loss that I can characterize as "rent".

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mredmond said:
Tuberale might have misplaced a decimal but the bigger mistake was assuming I'm looking for pennies ;D In either case I appreciate his reply and all of the others here.

I am buying that Treasure Hound and while I might be over-paying, I've already promised the guy I'd buy it and he pulled his ad. I'm not going to break that promise. If I find this hoard it will be worth it. If not, I can sell the thing, perhaps at a loss that I can characterize as "rent".

Hope you find enough to cover the metal detector....IF not, and you want to sell, use Craigslist. It is free for ad and can run 40 days. Should be able to sell that unit for what you paid.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mredmond said:

I figured as much and I hope you do find what your looking for, good luck. :thumbsup:

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Equipment rental places have two box detectors for finding old pipelines and such. Fairly cheap way to go. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. :-\

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to tn and treasure hunting..keep us posted of your endeavors and add pics....good luck

AIORIA

Apr 1, 2009
Good day Stevemc. I have a question to your post...... What PI detector do you have with the 3'x5' coil? Is it a non-commercial one that is made by people at home like the sniffer xr-71, delta pulse, or the dbp 2010? I heard these perform better than the ones that cost thousands of dollars?

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
We exclusively cache hunt and we swear by our White 808 two box. Can highly recommend it. I think you can pick one up on Kellyco for about $799.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well we have not heard any thing from about this from him for about a year...... So i don't think he is going to give us any info...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions