cave finder!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OKM units are very expensive and some have questioned their quality. The older 2Box detectors made by Whites and Discovery both had cave modes. You can "trick" some other 2Box units into indicating voids or caves by balancing the connecting pole on the wrong side of the null adj. Frank

OP
OP
R

Rugger

Mar 25, 2011
Frankn said:
OKM units are very expensive and some have questioned their quality. The older 2Box detectors made by Whites and Discovery both had cave modes. You can "trick" some other 2Box units into indicating voids or caves by balancing the connecting pole on the wrong side of the null adj. Frank

Thanks for the info Frankn
The OKM I want costs over $5000 its expensive !
I do have an older ADS Garett with the two box antenna it may work out.
I will clean the unit and reverse the leads at the null control, nothing to lose.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
It won't work with the Garrett. It's not a true 2 Box detector. I know I had one but sold it 30 days after I got it. I now use an old Hays 2 Box that will go at least 12' Frank

OP
OP
R

Rugger

Mar 25, 2011
Frankn said:
It won't work with the Garrett. It's not a true 2 Box detector. I know I had one but sold it 30 days after I got it. I now use an old Hays 2 Box that will go at least 12' Frank

Frank was your garett an ADS model ?

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" It's not a true 2 Box detector".........frankn, what causes you to say that? Not trying to start an argument, just want to know what caused you to reach this decision...thanks

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
CWnut, I didn't mean to start a fire, it was just my opinion. I have always had better luck with 2Box units that had separate transmit and receiving boxes. I had a Garrett ADS 10 Work Horse unit with the bloodhound setup. When checking the wiring it appeared that it was wired to have both coils trans and receive. It was a quick check, so I could be wrong in that respect. In other words a regular detector with 2 coils operating at the same time as opposed to a true 2Box that has a receive coil and a transmit coil. The 2Box units get their dept because of the separation of the two coils It is also the reason they don't pick up small stuff. To put it mildly, I was not satisfied with the dept of the Garrett.I had a 5 gal can buried 3' down and I could not pick it up with the Garrett. I must also admit that I gave up on the unit after only trying it for 30 days then selling it. The guy that bought it loves Garretts and was happy with it. I now have an old Hays true 2Box that will go 12' for a .50 cal ammo box in an actual find.
I didn't mean to ruffle feathers, just my opinion based on actual usage. Frank

Attachments

• IMG_8867_0222.jpg
    IMG_8867_0222.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,662
  • GARRETT 10X.jpg
    GARRETT 10X.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 2,688
  • IMG_8867_0222.jpg
    IMG_8867_0222.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 1,099
  • GARRETT 10X.jpg