What looks like and tarnishes like silver

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
I have several pieces that look, feel, and tarnish like silver. They are not stainless, aluminum, german silver, pewter, or white gold. I don't have a testing kit yet so I am unable to confirm anything. I just am looking into what other options they may be. Nothing is electroplated, nothing is stamped or marked. All have been machined or milled so you can see they are not plated. The question I have is what else could it be? Trying to use the collective concience and experience of TN members. Thanks.

OP
OP
MRBeyer

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
I will be buying some silver test solution today. I also contacted the manufacturer of one of the items for a full description.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
How about Zamac ! It's used in marine fittings. Frank

OP
OP
MRBeyer

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
Maybe I can do a bulk test, put the nitric acid in a small plate inside of a bag full of stuff, the fumes should cause alot of it to oxidize. If it works I'll post it. Might make my work faster.

OP
OP
MRBeyer

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
Should have the camera problem solved soon so pictures will be forthcoming. Tested the silver, looks like this stuff tests out between 500 and 800 so I'm thinking it is 750 silver. I had someone tell me this stuff wasn't silver in the past (I gave the bowl away as a gift) so it is nice to know my instinct is actually correct.

OP
OP
MRBeyer

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
pictures posted, sorry about the poor quality. these include 924 g of 500-750 silver in bowls. Yes, I tested them 4 times in the same spot to double check and even gouged where I had tested to see if it was just unusually thick plate. All going to melt next week. I think I have about $6 into it.

Attachments

• tnet5.jpg
    tnet5.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 619
  • tnet2.jpg
    tnet2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 602

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread