Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello There Scottso,
How curious that you are looking at a new detector and one of them is the XP Deus. Just this morning I was on their site reading about the Deus and it is quite the machine. I do not care for the way the battery in the coil is changed out and for the money I would think the French designers would have come up with a better method that the owner of the coil can do (the battery must be cut out of its location on one arm of the coil). But then this is a totally Wireless machine, no cable from the coil to the box and no earphone cable, so it is a real Trick Outfit! Costly! right up there with the others you are looking at. If you are looking for an almost weightless detector the Deus will be it.

The etrac and the V3i are no slugs when it comes to land based machines, both right up there in the high end arena. It comes down to, among other items, an Australian machine, a French machine or a USA machine. I've heard that Minelab has a ways to go on its customer service, I know nothing about the one USA Dealer for the Deus and how they handle service but I'd guess the machine would need to be shipped back to France for service and of course the Whites folks bend over backwards to service their customers.

You've quite a dilemma to resolve in which machine to purchase, I'd be up against a wall myself with this one. Have you looked at the videos on the Deus on the XP website? They will be of some help as well as the reviews they've posted, the machine has lots of latitude in adjustments and that shows up in one of the reviews.

Good Luck and keep us posted on your choice and your results! 63bkpkr

Ha Ha, I see Filou901 has responded! Man he found some wonderful coins, a ring, a key and such with his Deus!! Filou, how about you share with us your experience with learning the Deus and how to best use it. I for one would find it a very interesting read and you do just fine with english especially as I can barely spell French. I enjoyed being in France the three times I've visited your lovely country!!

Attachments

• 188_8849.JPG
    188_8849.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,233
U

umrgolf

You should save some $ and find just as much with a fisher gold bug :wink:

Bratvlos

Dec 19, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Déus the Only Wireless Métal Détector - Tecknetics D4000 - Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry my English is too limited to share my experience but I can do it in french ::)

The deus is light, powerful and highly reactive.The Reactivity is very useful to hear little coin in iron and polluted environments :icon_thumleft:

You should also know that the wifi does not work once the head within 20 cm of water.
The use under water requires the addition of an antenna.

See pictures in this post : http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/xpforumfr/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=785

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the E-trac so I might be a bit biased. Been using it for over a year now and have had no problems what so ever with it. I've found some great things too. I don't know about Mine Lab customer service because I haven't needed it. But I'm sure my local dealer would go out of his way to make sure any problems would be taken care of.
I haven't used the v3i but have hunted side by side with one. Seems to be a great coin machine. The coins seem to jump out of the ground at it. Maybe not so good for relics though. Only seen it in action a couple of times. I love the wireless headphones but they are an expensive option.
Never even seen an XP Deus in person so can't comment on it.

ducky

Tenderfoot
Nov 18, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, I'm the guy that wrote to you about buying your used metal detectors. I live less than 2 miles from you. I received no response. Since you're starting a business I would think you would be interested. What happened?

OP
OP
Scottso

Scottso

May 8, 2009
long island new york
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75se, Minelab Excalibur, Minelab etrac, Tesoro sand shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sorry ducky what type of md are you interested in :icon_thumleft:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote for the Deus all the way. I have seen this machine in person several times and i'm positive. It is simple said 4 machines in one to cover most situations with settings can be changed too. You can run with the factory settings or work Your own out depending on the area you detect. Yes, it's not on the cheap side, but if You know You have 4 machines in one it looks a lot better! I have no experience how it works with high mineralisized soil. But it will be my first choice when upgrading from my XP Gmaxx wich is an outstanding machine together with the Goldmaxx too.

Bratvlos

Dec 19, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Westfront said:
I vote for the Deus all the way. I have seen this machine in person several times and i'm positive. It is simple said 4 machines in one to cover most situations with settings can be changed too. You can run with the factory settings or work Your own out depending on the area you detect. Yes, it's not on the cheap side, but if You know You have 4 machines in one it looks a lot better! I have no experience how it works with high mineralisized soil. But it will be my first choice when upgrading from my XP Gmaxx wich is an outstanding machine together with the Goldmaxx too.

hello westfront :hello:

+1

In 18khz no problems in mineralized soil !
There is also a way (dry beach mode) to pass the wet sea sand

:hello2: :hello2:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Philippe! :hello:

You made some outstanding finds this year! :notworthy: Big congrats! That tells something about the Deus performance.... I am a little jelaous... :wink:
Please have a look in the Battlefields Forum. There is someone looking for his fathers watch lost in france during WWII.

Bratvlos

Dec 19, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you westfront :notworthy:

In Germany you must also make beautiful ancient finds?

Yes the deus is very good, all my friends have also !
The gold maxx power with the big head is also very good, but be careful with the cable...

Please give me link I find not the message :notworthy:

BarryInNY

Jun 11, 2009
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, BLISSTOOL, E-Trac, White's DF, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
xp deus and e-trac - one man's opinion

I have owned the E-Trac for a few years and have now owned the Deus for about 3 months with probably 50 hours of use. I am a Minelab man...The Deus has been "all the rage" in the UK for about a year and a half.

MY detecting conditions on the colonial era fields of eastern Long Island are very close to the UK conditions minus the iron - plowed fields that have been farmed for hundreds (unfortunately not thousands) of years. But my potential finds are very different than what they are looking for in the UK. In the UK (I have personally detected there with my E-Trac) you are digging EVERYTHING that is not iron. That means gold quarter staters coming in on the E-Trac at 12-06 and hammered silver coming in at 12-12 to 12-17...Here in the US, I've found thin reales at 12-28 with the E-Trac...but we are always more excited when we have higher CO items showing on the target ID...

So what's my opinion on the Deus????

Well - first off you cannot beat the ergonomics of the unit. I mean let's face it, the weight alone makes the machine an absolute pleasure to swing. It's so light, you have to watch out or you'll swing too fast. The wireless phones are a nice addition but the light weight is the really great feature.

Programming ease. The machine comes with 9 pre-programmed modes. The difference between some of the modes is ever so slight - sometimes just a different freq is the difference. Making a custom program is very easy to do. I typically use my E-Trac in 2 tone FE mode. For the Deus, I created a custom 2 tone mode that works great for me in my conditions.

Depth - I think the Deus stock coil is small. I believe that I get more depth from the E-Trac with the 10x12 SEF. Would the larger Deus coil help? Might do so - but for $550 - ehhhh....???? The dealers should offer the Deus with a choice of either coil for a slight price upgrade for the larger one...I believe that everyone would buy the machine new with the larger coil. This all being said, so far, when out detecting with my buddy and his E-Trac with stock coil both of us were able to hear each other's signals.

Sensitivity - I think the Deus is very hot on low conductor and small items. I find myself using the 12khz freq vs. the 8khz as the choice for my custom program. We all know the higher the freq the more sensitive to lower conductive items like gold...but here in the US, the majority of great dirt finds are going to be silver. The manual says that 8khz will be deeper and more sensitive to higher conductivity items than the 12khz or 18khz freqs. I'll need to play around with the 8khz for awhile to see if it hits more good targets.

Target ID - I am convinced that the E-Trac delivers a better target ID than the Deus. What does this really mean? When I get an initial signal of say a 12-36 to a 12-46 on the E-Trac I don't expect the conductivity to drop all that much after recovery. So these numbers really excite me and I'm usually not disappointed. With the Deus on many occasions I'll get a 82+ reading which is a good target here in the US (large copper - silver) and after recovery it sometimes drops all the way to a mid 60's number - not such a good target. I'm not sure if that occurs because the CO scale of the E-Trac at 1-50 is half that of the Deus at 1-99??? If I was detecting in a park, yard or lawn area where digging each hole was a conscious decision I'm not that trusting of the Deus right now. Maybe that will change with time and experience, but when using the E-Trac in 2 tone FE mode in someone's yard (with them watching and the pressure on) I can usually tell them before digging what the target should be.

All in all, I find that I take both machines with me every time I detect. If the field is nice and flat I have a preference for the Deus. If the field is rough plowed with flattened corn stalks I'll reach for the E-Trac. If I've been detecting for a few hours with the E-Trac and start getting tired I'll immediately switch to the Deus. After using the Deus for a few hours and then switching to the E-Trac...forget it as it feels like it weighs an absolute ton of bricks.

At the end of the day - I believe if you walk over the item either machine will find it. My oldest find to date, a 1666 Spanish one reale cob, very thin and the size of a dime was found when I was using the E-Trac. Last week I found a 1905 Peruvian half dime while using the Deus...Both items were in plowed fields and both were about 7" deep.

Your choice depends on your detecting environment. I believe the Deus was created for Europe (and places with Europe conditions like where I detect) with it's plowed fields and pastures. I believe the E-Trac does a much better job in your discriminating digging environments like parks, schools and homesites plus works equally as well on the fields and pastures too.

Just my opinion and I'm no expert (although I do get out there quite often)...

Barry

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
Saving My Pennies ...........

For an XP Deus w/ 11" coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to know what people think lately about the OP question ..........

XP Deus vs. Minelab E-Trac vs. Whites V3i

This thread name is exactly what I would like to know .... how do these all compare?

I will be coin shooting 95% of the time and only land hunting no beach etc.

Anyone have any thoughts recently about how these compare?

Last edited:

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to know what people think lately about the OP question ..........

XP Deus vs. Minelab E-Trac vs. Whites V3i

This thread name is exactly what I would like to know .... how do these all compare?

I will be coin shooting 95% of the time and only land hunting no beach etc.

Anyone have any thoughts recently about how these compare?

Anyone have anymore thoughts on these 3???

I have been all over the place but these 3 are the only ones I have considered as of late.

I wanted to go E-Trac but I think the Deus is a better option ... but I have always been a Whites guy since I started detecting and would like to know how well the V3i does as compared to the others?

Any feedback from those who may have used all 3 would be awesome!!!

Tenn-Coinhunter

Jun 29, 2009
East Tennessee Mountains
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites V3i, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum, (2)Minelab Excalibur 1000, Garrett pro pointer, Sun Ray DFX in line probe.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Falconman515 I own a V3i and I am not happy with it. It finds coins alright but when I go head to head with my brother and his Etrac, he is the one going home at the end of the day with all the silver and rings. Plus he always beats me in total clad value found. I haven't found a half in months and he has already found 5 or 6 this year. My local dealer tells me I am overthinking my V3i. I am an engineer plus I am always working on computers so I tend to over analyze everything. I have used the Etrac and a XP Deus when they first arrived here in the US. I am sold on the Etrac with its ability to seek out the silver but I am having a hard time turning down getting a Deus. It is super fast and extremely light weight which is exactly what I need. I am not a spring chicken anymore and with all my ailments I need the lightest machine on the market. The battery being in the coil really concerns me. I tend to hang on to every machine I have purchased because I have fond memories of what I have found with each one. If I do this with the Deus how long can I expect the battery to last? I have not found a post anywhere addressing this issue. Good luck with your decision. Once you have made it and purchased it lets us know if you are happy or not and why please.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Owned all three. (Vx3 not the V3i)

Never once found a coin with any of the machines that the others wouldn't have picked up. All are fine machines, some I liked, one not so much.
Regardless what you may believe, you can get the same performance without spending the whole bank roll. FACT!

falconman515

Mar 28, 2014
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Falconman515 I own a V3i and I am not happy with it. It finds coins alright but when I go head to head with my brother and his Etrac, he is the one going home at the end of the day with all the silver and rings. Plus he always beats me in total clad value found. I haven't found a half in months and he has already found 5 or 6 this year. My local dealer tells me I am overthinking my V3i. I am an engineer plus I am always working on computers so I tend to over analyze everything. I have used the Etrac and a XP Deus when they first arrived here in the US. I am sold on the Etrac with its ability to seek out the silver but I am having a hard time turning down getting a Deus. It is super fast and extremely light weight which is exactly what I need. I am not a spring chicken anymore and with all my ailments I need the lightest machine on the market. The battery being in the coil really concerns me. I tend to hang on to every machine I have purchased because I have fond memories of what I have found with each one. If I do this with the Deus how long can I expect the battery to last? I have not found a post anywhere addressing this issue. Good luck with your decision. Once you have made it and purchased it lets us know if you are happy or not and why please.

Thanks for the information.

I am currently in a holding pattern on purchasing a detector but regardless when I do I have decided it will be the XP Deus.

Can't wait till I get a chance to get out again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread