What Metal Detector to buy?

BigMESA

Sep 21, 2006
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
I didn't know which forum to put this in so I fugred this one would do, feel free to move if necessary admins..

Ok so I bought a Bounty Hunter 1100 from a guy for $20 and have been playing with it and have become insanely adicted to hunting now! My fiance is also becoming addicted to I have decided to buy another metal detector. Since she isn't in to it as much as me (I am already researching my area and I haven't even been on one hunt yet lol) I am going to give her the 1100. I am looking for a good detector for around $250 new or used makes no difference to me. Here is what I want it for...

I live in Charleston SC so I want to be able to take it to the beach and get the coil under water. I will also be hunting inland too. I would like something that can pick up everything from jewelry and coins to relics from pirates and the civil war. Perhaps something with some good bells and whistles and a display that can indicate what I'm detecting. Pinpointing ability would be great also!

I am not worried about a learning curve, just something that is a really good piece of equipment for the money. So any suggestions? Thanks!

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah Garrett 250 - I agree!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
OP
OP
B

BigMESA

Sep 21, 2006
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
Thanks for the links. The ACE250 looks like a really good detector but after reading those posts I'm not sure it is for me because I plan on being at the beach with it 50% of time time. I want to be able to detect in the wetsand at the waters edge at low tide. I will keep the ACE 250 on my list though and will keep researching?

Any more suggestions? I'll move the price range up to $300 max. Thanks!

OP
OP
B

BigMESA

Sep 21, 2006
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
Oh yea one question. If I were to buy the ACE 250 could I buy another coil down the road that would do alot better in the wet sand/water? Or is that in the brains of the machine?

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
BigMESA, you might want to look into a used Minelab Sovereign Elite. It has BBS technology which handles the salt water quite well and can also be used on land. I an not sure how good it is at pinpointing and such but do know it goes deep and doesn't mind the beach conditions at all. It might be a bit above your price range though, in fact, any machine that can do what you want to do will probably be above the $300 range. I have an EXII which handles the beach extremely well but it was quite pricey also. Good Luck.

Cal

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Based on your price range, maybe you could go ahead and get the 250, for now. Use it to relic hunt for CW stuff, and hunt for jewelry on the dry sand part of the beaches, which I think would keep you out of the false signals, and eventually find enough 'treasure' to finance a higher end machine that is more suited to the conditions in the water............then pass on the 'used' 250 to the GF.............

I am by no means an expert, but I have heard nothing but RAVE reviews about the ACE 250.

Let us know what you decide on, and post your finds here for us to drool over!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, and Good luck!

Roger

Summerville Joe

Aug 24, 2006
South Carolina
Hey BigMESA. Wanted to let you know I received your email. I just got back in town after 3 weeks away. Will contact you soon about my post. I have received several replies from Goose Creek and charleston. I just wanted to tell you that a good source of info on detectors is KELLEYCO, out of Flordia. They run sales, have used detectors and even take trade ins on some of their detectors. I have bought from them in the past.

summerville joe

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
sounds to me like you are looking for an excaliber. unfortunantly they are way over your budget. even a used one. the 250 is an excellent $200 land and dry sand machine. it hates salt water though and will not perform well in it. its just not designed for that type of hunting. im trying to think of who has a reletivley inexpensive water detector but im drawing a blank. how much do the tesoro tiger sharks go for guys?

OP
OP
B

BigMESA

Sep 21, 2006
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
I found someone selling a Minelab Sovereign Elite with 2 extra coils for $400, is that a good buy?

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
after reading the above posts I too am ready to buy and believe the 250 to be the best buy (early on detecting) I had also looked at the white prism 3

I live on the east coast (jersey) is there anything else I should purchase was thinking of a cover for the head is this a good idea?? I plan to walk the dry beaches possibly some lake edges and dug up/ or not lots to recover coins and relics should i stay with the 250 an allso buy the 10 inch coil or go for the prism 3 either one will put me in the 300 range
I have also decided to join a club not so local to me but attended one meeting an found the membership frendly an helpful . From past experiences i want to buy wthe best i can but not be overfustrated an not use all the technology of the machine yet -------FIND STUFF
any direction here will be usefull and thanks in advance Bill ( anyone here from the newark NJ area)

badboy

Jun 28, 2006
pa
I'll put my 2 cents in here. I would go to a dealer & try them out. If you want to know what I own they are all Whites machines. But that is me. I would give some a try some dealers will let you take them for a test run

OP
OP
B

BigMESA

Sep 21, 2006
Summerville, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236x2
Anyone know anything good about a Garrett Coin Hunter VLF/TR Deep Seeker? I can get one of those dirt cheap and save my money for a high end one one day.

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
sounds logical to test drive one I'd love per say to kick the tires on one------- but there are no dealers near me and most members in the detecting club own a top-of-the-line machine mostly mine labs which im told are great but not for a beginner
Im even thinking of waiting til christmas for a better deal is that a good idea or are these machines equal value throughout the year

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
bill gent said:
sounds logical to test drive one I'd love per say to kick the tires on one------- but there are no dealers near me and most members in the detecting club own a top-of-the-line machine mostly mine labs which im told are great but not for a beginner
Im even thinking of waiting til christmas for a better deal is that a good idea or are these machines equal value throughout the year

The new machines are generally the same price no matter where you go or what time of the year unless a machine is being discontinued and the factory gave authority to sell them cheaper. For $250 you just are not going to find a be all do all detector. I don't even know if such a beast exists, but some allow you to do a whole lot for the cost, but at a much steeper price range than you want to spend. If you are looking for the most bang for the buck, you might want to look at used machines and take your risks without a warranty. Even used, you will have a hard, if not impossilble time finding a top of the line machine for $250. If you want new with all the gizmo's your looking for, the best bang for the buck in your price range is the ace 250 hands down. The silver sabre UMAX is a good machine as well, but you are not going to get the TID screen.

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
seems to me the general concessus in club, here and even kellyco is the 250 I will purchase this at the start of next month and let you all know how i made out

now if the local police department (I plan to help in recovery) would like to kick in some funds welllllllllllllll

should I buy the 10 inch coil as well

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
bill gent said:
seems to me the general concessus in club, here and even kellyco is the 250 I will purchase this at the start of next month and let you all know how i made out

now if the local police department (I plan to help in recovery) would like to kick in some funds welllllllllllllll

should I buy the 10 inch coil as well

if you plan on doing land and dry sand hunting you will love that ace! i know i love mine! ;D

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
I'm a new Hunter with a minelab explorer II and i just love it it's my first detector and it will not be my last minelab! It was not to hard to learn with. After two days I dug up a 22K ring @ 8" to 10", and alot more keeper in the last two months. The new coil I'm getting will go down even deeper alot deeper. I would look at a dealer to see what you like then look on ebay for a better price. Good luck and let the silver and gold gods be with you LOL H.H.

THE DEEPDIGGEREXPII

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread