🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Spent over a Year researching Minelab before
switching to them.

Yes I went by both Minelab & Reviews.

I Also went to Club Hunts, Watched for people who Had
the Sovereign & asked them what they used Before, & If
they would go Back, or were Happy & Why.

I Didn't put Much stock in Professional Reviewers
in Magazines. simply because, if they give a Great Review,
They are allowed to Have the Next New & Improved Detector
to Try also.

I Also do not care for Dealer Reviews.

Ever notice Everything "Soon to be Released"
is getting great Reviews.
But once released, has to be sent back for Modifications, Or
gets Complaints. I also believe Dealers
are afraid to be completely Honest with the Manufacturer.

to me the Best reviews are the users on forums.

I Would Never Buy a New detector, That hasn't been used by the
public for at least a year.
Gotta let someone else Find the Bugs :icon_thumright:
Mine have usually been out so long,
a New Model is released Shortly after I Buy.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rather than trust someones opinion, decide what you would like to find and then spend some time looking at todays finds. Its just like ford verses Chevy. Certain detectors stand out for differant targets.

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't stuck on getting a specific brand, so I read a lot of reviews before my last purchase. Mainly to get an idea of how to operate the machine, how complicated, how user friendly, how practical, etc, etc. Then I just compared them all and started weeding out ones with features that I didn't want. Tried to throw out the very best and the very worst reviews and focus on the average from people who had used that model. Eventually I settled on one, but it took a while. So, in a way I trusted the reviews but I wasn't looking specifically for how deep it could find a certain target so I didn't pay as much attention to that part of the review.

Shane

sandtrout

Jan 27, 2010
Since I knew nothing about detectors, you bet I read all the reviews...by the company, sellers, and of course, the comments here. How else was I supposed to learn? No clubs nearby. Here...I felt like I was in a round circle listen to the comments and it was ALL enlightening. End result? I bought what felt right and it worked for me! Now others seem to buy and sell just like that but I spent the time to learn both of my detectors...and they both fit me.

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
Real world opinions matter most to me. Find people using something and ask them why they like it??? I had a chance to use a whites xlt 300 and liked it. So I bought one.

HH Jay

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont worry so much about "Shill" reviews by manufacturers or dealers.

What I do look for is how long people have had the detector before they do a review. It is very easy for folks to buy a $1000+ machine and love it. I mean.... if you are gonna buy one...and you have spent the bucks....not many folks will say after they have parted with the cash that they hate it.

Thats one of the reasons I wait at least 90 days before doing a review. That would be really soon for some... but at least it will lend some credibility, perhaps.

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX, DFX, XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Tesoro DeLeon, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Other
Ask people on forums like this. Find a local dealer. He/She should let you take a machine out on demo and try it for your self.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sometimes. Since there really isn't one good side by side comparison of various brands and models, you have to look at various resources.

For example when I wanted to get a back up detector I looked here, at catelogs, u-tube (surprisingly very helpful), and my own experience. Probably what tipped the decision in one direction was the fact that Brand A had a ton of videos on u-tube while Brand B had very few.

I've also been looking to get a newer primary detector. (Though you'll never see me get rid of my Sidewinder.) I was looking at one machine. Yet the more I read about it, the more I knew this was not the detector for me. Undoubtedly it's still a fine detector, but it's not the one for me.

My observations from reading this forum:
*Tesoro seems to be the hands down winner in the loyalty department.
*Garrett Ace 250's and Fisher F2's are the winners in the begineer's Display units.
*It seems like most White's owners have the high mid-priced to top end priced units.

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
I bought a cheapie to get into the game and figure out what I wanted (about 2 months). Then I spent some time with a dealer (many visits) learning what did what. Then I spent alot of time here reading up on different ones. Then I went back and asked more questions of the dealer. Then I tried the one I wanted out, then I bought it. It can be a big investment. Your decision can rest on why you want it, what use it will provide, and your local conditions. Furthermore, if you will be having a dedicated hunting buddy, some systems will interact so if you are down to two models, your decision may be made based on the ability to hunt without interfering with your buddy's machine.

Questions to ask.
Am I new to this?
Wet, dry, or both?
Mineralized soil or not?
relic, jewelry, or gold prospecting targets?
Price range?
Depth versus descrimination?

If you ask, others here can give you more questions designed to help you narrow the field. Myself, if starting over again, I would buy a Prizm or Ace.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
metal mania said:
deciding on a new detector reading though reviews best things since sliced bread etc etc rings at 15 inches etc etc. So how can one be sure they aren't written by people with interests in the specific companies etc etc.

So how did you decide on your new detector

Not long ago the F75 was being thrown under the bus due to poor shielding. In reality, it is so advanced and so extraordinarily sensitive that nobody knew how to adjust it to the particular grounds they were hunting. Nowadays, it is the choice of pro's the world over. No matter what you buy, there are no coins to be found at fifteen inches, unless you are water hunting. No matter what you buy, you will not find Jack Diddly Squat. Everyone else has already found it. Now this does not apply to you and your new-found hot spot and your old reliable tector, no matter how old it is (the tector, that is).

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I don't trust reviews unless written by a representative of the brand. Why? Because you have newbies and professionals both writing reviews.

Newbies 9 times out of 10 don't know the first thing about detecting, they buy a detector, go outside, turn it on and don't find anything. (For many reasons). Then they come back and say the detector is a piece of junk and doesn't work.

While a professional or someone who has detected for a long time will give a better review and break it down more.

Being mixed you can't understand who is giving correct information. When I first started everyone was like "omg the Ace 250 is the best ever". So I actually thought so, tried it out and hated it. I've been a detectorist for 8+ years and used 6 different detectors, and this was by far the worst for me. Maybe it was a faulty one that had problems, I don't know. But the fact of the matter is, I won't go by reviews anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread