Is winter a bad time to start pursing this hobby?

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet Chuiy. :icon_thumright:

With Winter fast approaching if not already upon you; my opinion is now is the time to start doing research.

I'm going to move your post to General Discussion.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DigginThePast said:
Welcome to TreasureNet Chuiy. :icon_thumright:

With Winter fast approaching if not already upon you; my opinion is now is the time to start doing research.

I'm going to move your post to General Discussion.

I'm in Western Pa. and spend the winter doing research. Ground freezes pretty hard in parks and such but in the woods you may be able to dig some with the leaves insulating the ground....That's if you don't have a mountain of snow....lol

Al

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beaches never freeze, Woods are easy to dig during the winter and some parks will have bare spots that you can dig.

I'm in NH and I dig year round. :icon_thumright:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it is not the best time of the year........... But in the Garrett forum John-Edmond he detects all year long and he is in Canada........... Then out in Montana there are two guy's that call them selves King George & Ringmaster Tim........... They have some bad winters there and those two hunt all year long..... John from canada and Tim & George from Montana..... Those guys get up on a winter morning snow on the ground and frozen ground... And out they go........ That means it is all up to you and what kind of weather you can handle......... Then you have guy's it get's a little cold and some snow and they will not go out and detect..........Like i said it's not the best time but it is up to what you think you can do....... Check out Tim & George.. www.anacondatreasure.com

pwcguy

May 20, 2010
Va
Detector(s) used
E-Trac (retired)
CTX3030, Double Eagle
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard of guys detecting snow banks at the mall and shopping centers with good result.
I'm going up for Christmass and plan on detecting. I hope the ground isn't too hard yet.

SeaninNH said:
Beaches never freeze, Woods are easy to dig during the winter and some parks will have bare spots that you can dig.

I assure you the beaches along lake Ontario get pretty hard in january.

Not my picture but it gives you an idea of what it's like:

Attachments

• img_4706hamlin.jpg
    img_4706hamlin.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 568

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Last January 1st at approx one o'clock am, I found my first merc of the year. It was warm out, low fifties, freak mid winter heat wave. The ground was thawed and I was diggin silver.
Forecast is looking good for this weekend, low forties, hitting an old gentlemen's club on an island, has some foundations and an old baseball field. Rumors have it they let the little ladies on the premises for one weekend out of the year. Should be some good winter hunting.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Gleaner.. And i have been on them in some winters detecting in the end of Dec. & first of Jan. and it was in the fifteys.........Here is our Lake Erie beache's in the winter that is ice you see.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 594
  • thumbnailCAG1B6N6.jpg
    thumbnailCAG1B6N6.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 725

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I hear you Keppy, and congrats on breaking 3k posts :icon_thumleft: Living on the east end of Lake Ontario, I have seen some horrendous ice mountains on the beach. I will get some pics here about Jan or Feb. I say I get to winter detect for a day or two or more every winter, even in January, it always thaws for that mid winter fix "the January Thaw". I'm still digging this year, very mild early winter. It's a good hunt in the winter, absolutely zero foliage, and no mosquitoes. It's some of the best detecting, especially in the wooded areas, you can see the lay of the land, and the brushy areas seem to "open up". A light dusting of snow is always welcome, of course.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pwcguy said:
I've heard of guys detecting snow banks at the mall and shopping centers with good result.
I'm going up for Christmass and plan on detecting. I hope the ground isn't too hard yet.

SeaninNH said:

Thanks for the New Background Pic!!!! Now When I think Below 40 Is to Cold to Go out hunting!!!!! All I Have to do Is log-on to My computer and See that Pic and I'm Off Hunting Chug

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
C&R Santa's other elves said:
pwcguy said:

SeaninNH said:

Thanks for the New Background Pic!!!! Now When I think Below 40 Is to Cold to Go out hunting!!!!! All I Have to do Is log-on to My computer and See that Pic and I'm Off Hunting Chug

Chug, you northwest coast tropical-rainforest-all-year-long guys don't know cold. When its about twenty below 'round here, we all get exited. It's Ice Fishing time!!!!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
20 Below Is to Darn Cold for Me!!!! Chug!!! Unless red is Snuggled Up Next to >>> OOPS Family Site !!! Chug

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ocean > lake in winter. Salt water beaches don't freeze like the fresh water lakes.

You inland folks have it rough in the winter. At least us coasters can head to the salt when it snows.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winter is normally research time....However the 40-50 degree days here in PA. are to go hunting for me!

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I say you can't find anything if you don't go Metal Detecting... but Research is always time well spent!!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Its almost Jan, and I have had zero days that could not be tected, no snow, its amazing this year. This is the mildest season I can remember. And the days are getting longer to boot.
First green Christmas in a long while. Something is going on... ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread