Is it possible?

French Creek hunter

Dec 8, 2011
Charleston,WV
Detector(s) used
White's Classic 5id, Minelab E-Trac.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted to start a business call antiques,collectables and metal detecting services. Is it legal to use a metal detector as part of a business operation?
What I propose to do is charge a fee per hour to let me try to find their lost items or to clear out a bottle dump or something like that.
So what do you think,is there already something like this?

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen people post on craigslist offering metal detecting services, to locate pipes, valves, keys, jewelry, etc...

So I don't see why you couldn't offer the same type of services, you may need to look at your local laws. When it has to do with private property it shouldn't be a problem, but when someone wants you to go to a state historic park to find their keys, you might have problems.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
French Creek,
Welcome to Treasure Net !!

My first impression: Without a proven history of finding items for others, I wouldn't pay you a dime up front, but I would offer you a reward based on the value of the lost or found article. And that would be the marketing approach I would use as a 'rookie'.
Don.....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
French Creek,
Welcome to Treasure Net !!

My first impression: Without a proven history of finding items for others, I wouldn't pay you a dime up front, but I would offer you a reward based on the value of the lost or found article. And that would be the marketing approach I would use as a 'rookie'.
Don.....

:icon_thumright:

Even a dollar an hour would be more then I'd pay
if you'd come up empty.

& in Reverse, I'd be embarrassed to charge a $1
if I Came up empty.

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think starting out by offering services on a "If found" basis is smart. It would probably cost you a lot of hours for failed ventures, but the successes will add up into a portfolio of sorts for bigger jobs later down the road.

If you start getting more jobs then you can do, then you can start charging hourly rates, or larger rewards. If nothing else, list an ad on your local craigslist that you offer the service. Never know!

OP
OP
F

French Creek hunter

Dec 8, 2011
Charleston,WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to post adds at a IGA in French Creek. I'm hopeful that people will do it, in a since you would have to make money elsewhere like with collectables and antiques. Most of the silver you find can be put in the store,or if you find bottles they could be placed in the store also. I agree the store name is a little unthoughtful.

Thanks for welcoming me,I'm glad to be here!

OP
OP
F

French Creek hunter

Dec 8, 2011
Charleston,WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking also that I could hire people and do trainings on metal detecting so they can go out and do the jobs themselves. I would also like to do auctions at the location of the business if that's possible. See there's all kinds of money making ideas. I did volunteer at a antique store for awhile, what they would do is they would rent spaces in the 2 story building so you could have your own space to sell stuff. If you were one of the renters and sold something, the owner of the store (If I remember correctly) got a percentage of what it sold for and would also get rent money every month. But anyhow, about ten people a day would come into the store and maybe three bought something of $10.00 or more. It doesn't sound like much at all ,but I believe they are doing it wrong. Really you should have a group of 3 people or more drive around to different locations and buy items to put in the store and they should have had different things they provide that people need and want. The location of the place wasn't bad, it just wouldn't be where I would put it though.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
theringfinders.com

People pay to advertise on their website then people that have lost jewelery can pick a person close to them then they work out a payment agreement. I know someone that does this and has made some money. Not enough to be a stand alone business but it is a nice little supplement to his day job.

Good luck
NJ

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I think that if you were to just open an antique/ collectable shop, and have the md ing thing as a sideline there you might do ok. Instead of charging for the service though, I'd ask to keep any finds other than the item they were looking for. That way even if you don't find it they are still happy because they aren't out any money. Plus be sure to tell them there's no guarantee you'll find it right away and it may take some time to cover the whole area.

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems you have a broad range of ideas, I think a unification under collectibles/hobby shop would serve you best, have a flyer or poster in your shop explaining the additional service, and let word of mouth be your advertising. Offer to sell/auction items on consignment to get people in your doors a lot of people will know of someone who lost something, who under normal circumstances would not call a guy on a grocery bulletin board.

But with all the avenues you seem to want to venture into I don't think you will have much time for the service idea anyway.

Tom

OP
OP
F

French Creek hunter

Dec 8, 2011
Charleston,WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I posted my ad paper at an IGA in my area. I'm going to try to see if anyone will do it. If I get at leased 2 people I would say the whole thing would work quite well in a larger area. I haven't had any calls yet,but I'm hopeful. I thought about not charging people,but what if I only found so much clad money,that wouldn't pay for gas and you would loose money very quickly. I think people wouldn't mind to pay 5$ for me finding their $100 item. I think I would have to offer a re-hunt for free to look for their item...

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
French Creek hunter said:
Well I posted my ad paper at an IGA in my area. I'm going to try to see if anyone will do it. If I get at leased 2 people I would say the whole thing would work quite well in a larger area. I haven't had any calls yet,but I'm hopeful. I thought about not charging people,but what if I only found so much clad money,that wouldn't pay for gas and you would loose money very quickly. I think people wouldn't mind to pay 5$ for me finding their $100 item. I think I would have to offer a re-hunt for free to look for their item...

You could always offer to hunt for free but they have to cover your toll and gas costs plus you get to keep anything that is not the item you are looking for.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Finding property stakes is a good way to make some extra money. On fraction of an acre city or suburban lots the stakes should be easy to find in 15 minutes to 1 hour tops.

The people that do this professionally charge several hundred to a couple thousand but most aren't that desperate & will buy or rent a detector to find themselves or offer a hobby person an easy $20 + travel expenses. I've never found $20 in clad in 1 hour, so it's still a good deal for most detectorists. Best wishes, George (MN)

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
someone else posted this, I signed up, take a look! www. Lostmystuff.net

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread