Newbie with few questions

pesok

Tenderfoot
Dec 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My first post on any detecting forum so take it easy. I read through few pages of this forum and thought i would ask. I know its not the easiest question to answer and hundreds of noobs ask this but i will provide info i think(from reading forum) is relevant.

I've always been fascinated with metal detecting but never tried it before. I am an adult(30+) with over 20 years of computer experience(soft developing((v)basic,c,c++(mfc),c#,java + bunch more) as well as computer hardware(building custom computer systems from scratch for the last 15 or so years- with over 500 of systems under my belt(ranging from desktops for grandmothers to high priced gaming systems worth over $30k). I was puzzled by what present i want(Christmas and my BD coming up) and i think i found it - a detector!!!
Price range - up to $1000(can be used or from ebay dont matter)
Tech knowledge - expert(read above), as well as quick learner if i interested in the subject
Will be used mainly on east coast beaches(anywhere from florida to cape cod) (hate just lying there with my family - this way have something to do now) - coins, jewelry(perhaps can find some stuff i lost there over the years lol)

Was looking at garrett GTI 2500 Pro(NEL coil perhaps-seems even on 8 sens. is better than supplied 12" on 12 sens.) on the site recommended - kellyco(not sure if can post links - but most should know which i mean)
What other detectors i should look at? Any other advise?

Thanks to all!

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Garrett GTI 2500 is a solid, dependable machine. It is an excellent choice.
You might also want to look at the Whites MXT Pro.

OP
OP
P

pesok

Tenderfoot
Dec 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
oldcoon said:
The Garrett GTI 2500 is a solid, dependable machine. It is an excellent choice.
You might also want to look at the Whites MXT Pro.

is one or the other any better for salt water(ocean) beaches?

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in almost the same exact boat as you <minus the C# skills, and you couldn't pay me enough to do anymore C++.> And although I am still a newb, I bought my detector about 6 months ago, and thanks to life happens type stuff I have only been able to put a few hours on it.

I bought the Whites MXT Pro. The reviews were great, and the response for advice kept bringing up the MXT pro. I talked to the Garret/Mine labs dealer on several occasions, and one trip to talk to the local Whites dealer and I left there with the Whites MXT Pro.

It's seems to be a great all around machine, with a lot of options from beginner settings to more experienced settings.

OP
OP
P

pesok

Tenderfoot
Dec 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Twisted One said:
I am in almost the same exact boat as you <minus the C# skills, and you couldn't pay me enough to do anymore C++.> And although I am still a newb, I bought my detector about 6 months ago, and thanks to life happens type stuff I have only been able to put a few hours on it.

I bought the Whites MXT Pro. The reviews were great, and the response for advice kept bringing up the MXT pro. I talked to the Garret/Mine labs dealer on several occasions, and one trip to talk to the local Whites dealer and I left there with the Whites MXT Pro.

It's seems to be a great all around machine, with a lot of options from beginner settings to more experienced settings.

What made you finally choose Whites MXT Pro over lets say garett gti 2500 pro? It looks like garett is a bit more $ (while "on sale") at kellyco than whites (which seems to be not on sale). I do like the large display of garett(largest in any detector according to them) and seems like it also has a lot more options(as a fellow programmer you would understand my desire for exploring ALL the detector can do(and possibly hacking the interface if possible as well to add/(unlock) more stuff)

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly my budget was under $1000, and the GTI 2500 was not with in that budget at the time, so I didn't even consider it, and know very little about it.

My choices came down to the Minelabs X-Terra 750 and the Whites MXT Pro. I went with the MXT Pro because of many of the people here, and in several other forums suggested that not only was the MXT Pro capable of going deeper to find things, but when it comes to a "Do it all" machine it was the best when it came to the prospecting mode.

I actually never considered patching into the detectors interface and messing with it, because I don't know much about the functions of the detector as it is. When it comes to hacking a metal detector it might be worth while to pick up something cheap like the Garret Ace series and see what you can do with it.

j.dean

Dec 6, 2006
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's V3I, Garrett's AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only issue I have with the gti 2500 is it seems HEAVY! I know it sounds crazy, but trust me, after swinging a detector for a few hours your arms will be really sore... Especially if its heavy.

Also, I'f your gonna do alot of beach hunting, might wanna consider a detector that has multiple freq. Like the v3 or the e-trac. Helps with the salty wet sand.

I had a v3i and it was a great detector. Sold it when my wife told me I was gonna be a daddy, because I knew I wouldn't have time to use it for a year or two... I just bought a new AT Pro, mainly because it was inexpensive, and waterproof. Good LUCK!!!!!! and WELCOME TO THE HOBBY!

james

OP
OP
P

pesok

Tenderfoot
Dec 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
j.dean said:
The only issue I have with the gti 2500 is it seems HEAVY! I know it sounds crazy, but trust me, after swinging a detector for a few hours your arms will be really sore... Especially if its heavy.

Also, I'f your gonna do alot of beach hunting, might wanna consider a detector that has multiple freq. Like the v3 or the e-trac. Helps with the salty wet sand.

I had a v3i and it was a great detector. Sold it when my wife told me I was gonna be a daddy, because I knew I wouldn't have time to use it for a year or two... I just bought a new AT Pro, mainly because it was inexpensive, and waterproof. Good LUCK!!!!!! and WELCOME TO THE HOBBY!

james

Grats on fatherhood(from the looks of the pic - belated grats:)! Seems so far that none of you would really recommend 2500, i dont really have to get that one, since i know zilch about them - would consider all possibilities. So far i am looking at 2500, mxt pro(thx oldcoon and twisted) and V3I(thx dean), any others i should look at?

j.dean

Dec 6, 2006
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont forget to consider the etrac as well, for beach hunting it's strong. I haven't used one, but I know it operates on something like 28 different freq. I have heard great things about it, and it is apparently an amazinh coin shooting machine. But it is pricey, maybe u can land a used one.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at the Garrett ATPro. It has been out long enough for most of the bugs to be worked out of it and will do just about anything you might wish to do on the sheashore including some shallow water hunting without harming the electronics. It is also very good machine to start with in that it is fairly simple to learn to operate. Monty

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of those are nice options. For the areas of interest you listed you may want to also consider a Sovereign GT if you are willing to learn to hunt with your ears rather than visual id the Sovereign is considered by many to be second to none on the beach. It is my best seller for beach hunters.

If you are considering a Whites test them out good first they are great machines but they are the only one to ever give me arm trouble, I was a carpenter by trade and swinging any of the machines never gave me any problems, but my DFX gives my shoulder fits...however I continue to use it so take that for what it's worth.

Tom

j.dean

Dec 6, 2006
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree the whites stuff is a little heavy. I actually, eventhough I just bought one, wouldn't recommend the AT Pro for you, seeing how your gonna do mostly beaches. It is a single freq machine, and has some issues with noise in salty wet sand. I think its a great buy for fresh water, and maybe beach hunting too at 600.00 compared to 1300+ for say, an excalibur II, but it's really not made for a wet sandy beach. Not saying it wont work, but if you plan to spend ALOT of time on the beach, it may not serve you as well. I would look for multifreq machines only... If your primary target is the beach, and maybe consider the excalibur II, that way you can take it wading, snorkeling, or even diving.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never used either one but I hear good things about the Minelab E-Trac and White's V3i.

I own a White's DFX which is my main land hunting machine and for the beach I have a Minelab Excalibur 1000. In my opinion if you are only doing beach hunting then the Excalibur is the way to go. I would look at used ones on Ebay and consider getting a lightly used Excalibur 1000. I was informed by someone that the newer Excalibur II were not made as well as the older Excalibur 1000s. You should be able to get a used one well within your budget. I purchased a used one for $600 a few years back. On a side note the Excalibur does not have a screen so since your a big computer guy that may freak you out a bit. Takes a little getting use to but once you do just say 'hello gold'...

Good luck

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread