treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Meteoritemen" HELP ME meteorite falls near my house

another post just like this is in the meteorite forum section of T-net heres the link to the original http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,440494.0/topicseen.html , I heard on the radio this morning that a meteorite struck earth near Selwyn Ontario Canada and real close to where i live just 12 miles away, i'm going to convince my dad to take me to look for it on the weekend, i always love watching the meteorite men is one of my favorite shows and have been watching there new season, so if you the "meteorite men" are reading this could you comment and help assist me in finding some fragments, oh yeah i already have a fisher f75 metal detector and a magnet stick for tools to use.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: "Meteoritemen" HELP ME meteorite falls near my house

here ya go vid and a estimation of the approximate flight path, HH

At 6:04 pm on Monday evening, December 12, 2011 (23:04 UT Dec 12) six cameras of Western's Southern Ontario Meteor Network recorded a fireball in the evening sky east of Toronto. Although this bright fireball occurred near the peak of the annual Geminid meteor shower, it is unrelated to the shower.

The slow fireball first entered the atmosphere at a shallow angle of 25 degrees from the horizontal moving at 14 km/s. It first became visible over Lake Erie then moved toward the NNE ending at an altitude of 31 km just South of the town of Selwyn, Ontario. It is likely to have dropped small meteorites in a region to the East of Selwyn near the Eastern end of Upper Stony Lake.
http://toronto.openfile.ca/blog/cur...eo-doesnt-live-fireball-event-billing-frankly

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Steve Arnold has a blog where you can ask him questions...not sure if he would help out or not but it maybe worth a shot. His company is called Arnold Meteorites.

Happy hunting

NJ

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

In 1990 A meteorite fell within about 4-5miles of my home, It was actually a hammerstone... It hit a Porch of a house... Haven't researched this yet but my mouth is watering too find one... :headbang:

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Were you able to get out this weekend to look?

OP
OP
treasurepirate1

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

N.J.THer said:
yep i was able to get out, i searched a park, went to get some lunch and the restaurant owners said there were scientist in just a bit earlier looking for it as well, they even gave the owner a real meteorite from another country for reference if anyone had one. one of the workers even let me go on there property to look for it, but found nothing but a 2006 Candadian dime in the middle of a field. if i get another chance i will get out there again depending if there is snow or not. None have been found yet by anyone.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I could never understand having watched the first series of films from the "Meteorite Men" when a million dollar meteorite had already been found why they had such rubbish equipment. Tatty old pickup. Hoardhunter with the worlds most bodged up coil. An obsolete Fisher 1266 as the detector.
Didn't exactly suggest much money was being made.

Later on though a new detector, new laptop, special all terrain transport but what comes up in the credits at the end of the programme ? The producer thanks the companies who have loaned them the equipment for the filming !

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

treasurepirate1 said:
N.J.THer said:
yep i was able to get out, i searched a park, went to get some lunch and the restaurant owners said there were scientist in just a bit earlier looking for it as well, they even gave the owner a real meteorite from another country for reference if anyone had one. one of the workers even let me go on there property to look for it, but found nothing but a 2006 Candadian dime in the middle of a field. if i get another chance i will get out there again depending if there is snow or not. None have been found yet by anyone.

Snow may actually help you find any surface meteorites. The sun will make the dark meteorites warmer then then ground around them so if there is a light snow it will melt quicker on the meteorite then you just have to look for the black rock surrounded by white snow which should be very easy to see. This is actually just a theory of mine but the concept should work that way.

Good luck

NJ

OP
OP
treasurepirate1

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

N.J.THer said:
treasurepirate1 said:
N.J.THer said:

Snow may actually help you find any surface meteorites. The sun will make the dark meteorites warmer then then ground around them so if there is a light snow it will melt quicker on the meteorite then you just have to look for the black rock surrounded by white snow which should be very easy to see. This is actually just a theory of mine but the concept should work that way.

Good luck

NJ
it's supposed to flurry on Christmas day, but were traveling that day, it's really rare for no snow by this time of the year, by now we usually have more than a foot or two of snow, but instead we have mud and brown grass to look at with rain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread