Coins - Keepers or Duds ?

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Well,I finally sorted through my coins,about 20 years worth of MD. Can anybody tell me if they are worth anything ?
Wheat pennies - 1917, - 1919, - 1925, - 1930,- 1936, - 1937, - 1938, - 1939, and about 1/2 pound of 1940's and 1/2 pound of 1950's
1942 dime,1945 dime,1946 dime,1952 dime,1959 dime,1964 dime
1936 Buffalo nickle, 1939 nickle
That's all I can stand to do for tonight,going blind. Thanks a Bunch !!

papa

OP
OP
papa

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Thanks for the web site address,it's been a huge help.That will give me something to do on rainy days. Might even keep me out of trouble,( wife said,"Sure it will")
papa

Z

ZipDogg

I noticed that you didn't mention any mintmarks, usually found below the date. On alot of coins the "P" mintmark was left off, others may have a "D" or "S".(W,CC,etc)
Usually coins with mintmarks are worth more.
I would like to suggest getting a "2007 Red Book" (A Guide Book of U.S. Coins)
Those prices are retail, so people get 40 to 60 percent of prices they list.
Common date wheat cents may sell for 2 or 3 cents each. 50 cents for common date Buffalo nickels.
But each different series of coins usually has dates that are rare.
If you get a Red Book you can find out if you have any valuable rare dates.
It is very difficult to find a coin dealer that will "voluntarily" let you know the full truth about the "best possible price" you can get for your coins.
So get that Red Book and be sure of what you have before you try to sell, or you may be giving away a valuable coin for a small/common coin price.
I've sold enough coins to know dealers can be ruthless.
On the other hand, "some/few" are fully honest.
There are honest ones, you just have to be on your toes to find one and not be taken advantage of.
For the record, I've read 17 coin books and I get a "Numismatic News" weekly.
You can buy coins everywhere these days, but when it comes time to sell,
most people are shocked about the price they are offered for their coins.
I'll be glad to help anyway I can. -ZipDogg

OP
OP
papa

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Thanks for the info.That will help a lot.I'll try to find a Red Book.The only place around here to check on coins is a local Pawn Shop,and I try to stay away from there.I'm in no hurry to price coins,just curious about them. Thank again,have a good one. ............. papa

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Pa,

use to spemd hours checking out coinage,
eyes won't do it now, same with stamps.

Will Dig,
thanks for the site.

have a good un........

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
papa said:
1942 dime,

Check that dime!! If it has the 42/41 error, it could be worth a lot of money. Even in "bad" shape it's worth a few hundred. I'm trying to find a good picture of the error, but it seems hard.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1942-41-D-1942-...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
http://rare-coins.com/Uploadimages/1942MCDPCGS3042472OR.jpg
http://cgi.ebay.com/US-COINS-1942-1...ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

http://www.collectorscorner.org/pocket.html

BTW, DO NOT CLEAN THE COINS ;D

OP
OP
papa

papa

Sep 21, 2006
djui5,By all means,keep me posted on the dime.I have no idea what a "error" would look like.If it turns out to be a winner,I'm buying coffee ! Now,where did I put them ?
Thanks a bunch !!

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally just toss everything I find in an old shoe box and when winter comes and it's blowing snow outside, I'll spread out my finds and go through them.

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
papa said:
djui5,By all means,keep me posted on the dime.I have no idea what a "error" would look like.If it turns out to be a winner,I'm buying coffee ! Now,where did I put them ?
Thanks a bunch !!

If you can get a really good picture of the date, I can tell you. I had one recently, and sold it to my dad. Well, it was my wifes g-ma's, and I was selling them for her. Here's a picture (slightly blurry, sorry) of the date from the one I had. If you get a 10x magnifying glass, look at the date. See if it looks like this at all.

Attachments

• 1942-1-Dime.jpg
    1942-1-Dime.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 245

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to help out with the site info...I don't know much about coins. Hardly anything as a matter of fact. I found a 28' wheaty in the back yard and wanted to look it up. I, by no means, will start "collecting", but, it is nice to be able to find some worth to some of the stuff we dig up.

I am still looking for that one place that can yeild at least one good find. I think to us worth is comprable to how much someone else wants what we have and not necessarily the dollar amount placed upon it. That is the way I see it anyway. Also I think it is about how much someone else is willing to give for what I have and not how much I am willing to take. Sites like these provide good insight for me and I get to see lots of other stuff I never have. In this way of learning, then when I am in the field, I can have high excitement when I get my first good find because I will already know what it is instead of waiting until I get home!

I love being excited in the field when I find something.

GL and HH

OP
OP
papa

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Djui5,No joy on the error dime,BUT,I did find a 1920 Mercury dime,no mint mark.Please tell me this coin is worth a small fortune ;D Just like the one's in the sites you mentioned. Well,am I rich or what ???

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
not rich, but if it's in really really good shape it could pay your rent for a month or 2 ;D Does it have all the bands on the back, in the center?

OP
OP
papa

papa

Sep 21, 2006
It has some ware on it,but you can still read everything I'll try to e-mail you a photo,I'm stillnot to good on posting photos,can't get them small enough. Now I'll have to wait till the server for my e-mail comes back on line.Down for up dates,I think ??? If it a match,where would I be able to sell it? I NEED A NEW MD !! Thanks a bunch :)

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it's in decent shape you'd want to have it graded, then either sell it to someone on here, or sell it on e-bay.

OP
OP
papa

papa

Sep 21, 2006
OK,thanks,I would rather sell it to someone from "our little family" I haven't used E-Bay,and I just don't know if I would trust them.Maybe not E-Bay,but the people out there bidding.I've been bit by the "ID Thief" bug. How would I go about getting it graded? Anybody here do that?

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
http://www.pcgs.com/grades.chtml

Get ahold of those guys and ask them. I believe it costs about $25 a coin to grade. I think they give discounts for multiple coins or something though.

Send me a photo to djui5 at yahoo dot com. If it's too worn, it won't be worth grading, and you could just sell it here for $20 or whatever. Make sure it's a really good photo, not blurry at all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions