Magnetite deposits, the scourge of metal detecting.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Magnetite is a detectorists worst enemy. In the Western states it is found in much greater deposits in Oregon, Utah, New Mexico, Colorado, and California.

In the eastern part of the USA it is found in almost as large of proportions in parts of New Jersey, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Virginia.

The best way to determine how much Fe you have in a particular soil is to use a bar magnet - and draw all the iron filings and ore particles out of it; magnetite, hematite, or steel. Hematite is an almost equal enemy to us all. If you get only a thimbleful or less of this iron pulled from a cup of soil you will only lose about 2 inches from your air depth on a VLF. If you get more than that you will lose more depth, and if it's 1/4 of a cup or more you will lose half (or more) of your air test depth - when searching in the soil. Some soils have so much Fe in them that a metal detector is nearly useless, including PI's. This is just part of the story, I'll let you all do your own research to discover the rest of he story.

The dark mineral around the chondrodite is magnetite:

www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Magnetite

HH..

LL :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• Chondrodite-Magnetite-37952.jpg
    Chondrodite-Magnetite-37952.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,109

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread