Wet Saltwater beach sand detectors

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
dougrchamberlain said:
Hello, I'm trying to figure out the least expensive detector that I can use on the beach in the wet sand. I currently have a Bounty Hunter Lonestar and it gives all false positives in even slightly damp sande.

Buddy, ya just gotta have multiple frequencies to detect areas that have heavy mineralization like a beach. Most Minelabs have 17 or better frequencies while Fisher CZ series have double frequencies. I think Whites has a double frequency machine. The Minelabs tend to require a pretty slow swing for it's computer to analyze so many signals but falsing in unheard of in my experience. Fisher CZ series can give falses, but adjust out quickly with a reduction in sensitivity. The CZ series tend to allow a much quicker swing due to it only having two frequencies.
You could go with a Pulse Inducted (PI) machine, but get ready. A PI machine will pick up a needle 10 in down it seems and you cannot really effectively discriminate.

My advice for a machine that can be submerged over the housing is the Minelab Excalibur or the Fisher CZ 21. Myself I use the older version of the Fisher the CZ 20.
Either are great reliable machines you cannot go wrong with. Good luck! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
D
Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for the information. What do you mean by Double frequencies? Also aren't those models you mentioned over 1000$? I was hoping there was a model for under 400

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you don't want to spent the money on new. Then look for a good used machine. You are only going to get what you paid for....Matt

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dougrchamberlain said:
Hello, I'm trying to figure out the least expensive detector that I can use on the beach in the wet sand. I currently have a Bounty Hunter Lonestar and it gives all false positives in even slightly damp sande.
What state are you in?

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
dougrchamberlain said:
Thanks for the information. What do you mean by Double frequencies? Also aren't those models you mentioned over 1000$? I was hoping there was a model for under 400

Sorry, possibly I was not spic enough. Actually it is called Dual frequencies. It means that the detector broadcast more than one signal into the ground. Most detectors are single frequency and I mean MOST. The most expensive Garrett uses a single frequency. The Fisher CZ models use two frequencies. The Excal uses like between 17 and 28!! That's right, it sends that magnetic field down into the ground up to 28 separated times!!! It is turn on and go without falsing!! Because it takes time for the Computer to interpret all those returning signals you must go slow with the Excal. The CZ uses TWO frequencies. Because the computer only has to interpit two returning singals rather than 28, you can swing the CZ much faster. Because it only uses TWO frequencies it sometimes will false, but because it has more than one frequency I have always been able to quickly adjust mine using the sensitivity to stop falsing and this only happened in the worst black sand I have ever encountered.
I am sorry, but WATER PROOF machines are pricey. You might find a used CZ 20 for $500 or so and that may be your best bet. Another possibility is the new Garrett AT PRO. It is WATER PROOF, but only to about 15 ft, it is cheaper than the others but over $500, and of course it only has a single frequency. The CZ and Excalibur will go to 100 ft or more.

Anyone out there know of a WATER PROOF multiple or dual frequency machine for $500 or less?? Sorry, but I don't. Your right, it would be nice if someone did make such a bargin.

Good luck! :icon_thumleft:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There's a lot of beach pulse machines that you can get used for less than $400. But the downside of a pulse, is you won't have any ability to pass iron (nails, bobby pins, etc...), barring 2nd guessing sounds by ear. Perhaps you're on touristy clean beaches where that's not an issue. But if you're on nail riddled beaches (like where old wharves burned down, or there was commercial/industrial history, or that allow beach bonfires which introduce nails), then you might find you want a machine that can at least knock out iron.

I dunno if you'll find an Excaliber for less than $400, but you can try.

If you can find a used Whites 6000 Di pro (must say "di pro"), then that's a good wet salt beach machine!

But in both of the latter examples, they're not going to cut through really black sand. So there's lots of pro's and con's, depending on your exact beaches, your goals, your skills/abilities, your patience/tolerance level, etc.....

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Tom_in_CA said:
There's a lot of beach pulse machines that you can get used for less than $400. But the downside of a pulse, is you won't have any ability to pass iron (nails, bobby pins, etc...), barring 2nd guessing sounds by ear. Perhaps you're on touristy clean beaches where that's not an issue. But if you're on nail riddled beaches (like where old wharves burned down, or there was commercial/industrial history, or that allow beach bonfires which introduce nails), then you might find you want a machine that can at least knock out iron.

I dunno if you'll find an Excaliber for less than $400, but you can try.

If you can find a used Whites 6000 Di pro (must say "di pro"), then that's a good wet salt beach machine!

But in both of the latter examples, they're not going to cut through really black sand. So there's lots of pro's and con's, depending on your exact beaches, your goals, your skills/abilities, your patience/tolerance level, etc.....

Bobby pins and nails!! I used a Garrett Sea Hunter PI machine once... ONCE!! I could not take more than two steps without a signal!!
Any stray fiber of metal I found that day!!! Wears ya to a nub!!

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want a cheap wet sand machine that you can still get repaired then as long as you don't want to go into the water then the DFX fills the bill. Really cheap secondhand since the V3 came in with its fancy colour screen.

Its two frequencies work just fine and you have the advantage of being able to switch to one frequency for on the dry or land use.

Its easy to get hung up on the number of frequencies but you rarely get what you think as Minelab adds harmonics to get to such high numbers. The Whites V3 (three frequency) is a 17 frequency detector under Minelabs method of counting and Eric Foster P.I.'s 92 !

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dougrchamberlain said:
I'm in southwest Florida. I've said too much. :D
AT pro will work fine in the wet sand in your area....if you get one let me know and I will tell you what settings I use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread