pirate headstone in cemetary, photos added.

cbroyles

Oct 20, 2009
resaca GA
Detector(s) used
whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My brother took us to this old cementary at this old church that dates back to the 1750's , there's four tombstones there has no names engraved but three has skull and crossbones and the fourth just crossbones. nobody has any information on the headstones. i was wondering has anybody seen anything like these before. makes you wonder if treasure is buried there. X marks the spot.
The cementary is in NC the church name is THYAFIRA CHURCH.

phot1.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope someone can speak up about these. They are really neat.

Where are these located? Where in the world?

F

Felinepeachy

From what I've been reading the scull and cross bones on headstones doesn't have anything to do with pirates.
Is it possible that the grave contains the remains of a Freemason, and the Fremasons used this symbol to denote a Master Mason?

http://spearoflonginus.ark11.net/Article03.pdf

OP
OP
cbroyles

cbroyles

Oct 20, 2009
resaca GA
Detector(s) used
whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's in rowan county NC close to Salisbury. thats where my brother lives.

OP
OP
cbroyles

cbroyles

Oct 20, 2009
resaca GA
Detector(s) used
whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks jeep. when i was up there i talked to a lady that works there and she told nobody knows about them. It's a real nice grave yard. theres one head stone thats engraved F.N.LUCKY that was actual name.lol

Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bookmarked this page because when I am in SC this coming year, I may make a side trip and check the historical society.

If I lived there I would be there in the morning cause this is the type of stuff that trips my trigger :laughing7:

Just have to know, and between Church, Historical and County records the truth is there.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Theres lots of headstones in mascistchusetts,i mean massachusetts with skull and crossbones on them. It was a headstone design phase the colonials went through. No pirates invovled

OP
OP
cbroyles

cbroyles

Oct 20, 2009
resaca GA
Detector(s) used
whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey jeep if you found out anything about the headstones let me know, i was going to do some research on them but my time was limited when i was there, and now i'm working 6 days aweek. travel around salisbury theres alot of history there, colonial history and civil war history. there was even a civil war prison there too which is privite own now.

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
Yep, it was fad in the early colonial times. I saw tons of them in Scotland from the 18th century.

rocksolid

Greenie
Nov 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Felinepeachy said:
From what I've been reading the scull and cross bones on headstones doesn't have anything to do with pirates.
Is it possible that the grave contains the remains of a Freemason, and the Fremasons used this symbol to denote a Master Mason?

I have often wondered how people like the author of that article know so much about Masons but are not Masons.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have some in my church's graveyard...just a design used in the 1700s.

NJ

OP
OP
cbroyles

cbroyles

Oct 20, 2009
resaca GA
Detector(s) used
whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thats some great information. i guess i need to research about them.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to Habenstein and Lamers “The History of Funeral Directing”, 1962:201), the imminent millennialism sensed by the Puritans and their contempt for moral existence led to the skull and crossbones being the most persistent tombstone symbol of early New England days

http://mod1953.wordpress.com/category/graveyards/

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
might be unknown persons that died thus no name * skull and crossed bones -meant "death" thats why it was used as a symbol on deadly mixture and poison bottles so folks that could not read would know it had dangerous contents

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread