Savannah, GA, what is and what isnt legal to metal detect?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only place I've detected there is Tybee Island and I never had a problem there.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I looked on their website, searched city code for metal detecting, not found, but found other stuff: Parks close at 9pm (open 6am?). No trees can be cut or injured. Hitting/putting/driving golf balls in Daffin Park, Hull Park & Forsyth Park (1851) prohibited. Playing ball games in Dixon Park prohibited. Throwing stones, etc prohibited (golf balls assumed & probably baseballs & softballs in non-designated areas).

I guess if you go there look at the park signs to see if anything is posted prohibiting detecting. They mentioned concern about golf (divots?) in some of the older parks so it sounds like there is some concern of damage, which isn't too surprising. Also, some of this concern is about people being injured by (flying) balls.

Serious damage could be up to $1,000 fine &/or 30 days in jail. As I said they don't say no detecting but do say no golfing, so I guess be neat. I know the no digging or disturbing the soil laws in books everywhere were created before detectors & we're usually OK if no real damage. I was at a park in MN that said no digging or disturbing soil, asked a rec worker if it would be OK to detect there & he said I don't know why not.

If you want to know for sure, you could call the police & ask if you would be fined for detecting parks. If it varies by park, they might ask which park(s) you'd like to detect. www.hometownlocator.com shows several dozen parks in Savannah. Best wishes, George (MN)

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANYTHING and EVERYTHING managed by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is OFF LIMITS to metal detecting. Got a sticker on the back window of my truck that reads "Welcome to Georgia, owned and operated by the DNR"... Can't tell you about city property. You will need permission (and I'd get it in writing) to detect private property. Most of the older Victorian Era houses are in depressed neighborhoods, and my advice would be to avoid them. Last I knew, one could detect the beaches on Tybee Island, but stay OUT of the dunes ~ big fine for just walking on them. Forts that are on the National Register of Historical Places are OFF LIMITS. I'd suggest you contact the Chatham County Parks and Recreational Department before doing any swinging. Better you're "safe than sorry".
Robin

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Maybe just forget it unless you ask is there *anyplace* I can use my detector & not be arrested? The multiple National Historic Districts are in the National Register of Historic Places huge book, a project of the National Parks service, so I suppose if they're swarming all over, maybe they're seizing cars, detectors, wallets & filling more prisons.

Most of the Savannah code that might apply to detecting was found under disorderly conduct, not in the park & rec sections.

I get the real feeling of coldness on the city site that doesn't promote any use of parks except by locals who pay or tourists that drop a ton of cash for what amounts to permission to walk on the sidewalks.

I wonder if crooked or confused officials could claim the detectorist was in a Historic District when they maybe weren't? I'll never forget Georgia executed a man for a murder he may not have done so why should they go easy on detectorists?

I know there's still some cities in GA where detecting is allowed, just not sure which ones without checking websites. Best wishes, George (MN)

OP
OP
stevemc

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I wasnt planning on detecting the city historic parks, just if there is any place other than that detecting is not allowed, I am sure the forts are under that. I didnt know how picky they are. Maybe I will leave them at home.

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As i wrote... check with Chatham County Parks and Recreation. You will likely get busted if you just go out and start swinging... bad day for you at the least. Cover your backside. Seems the beach is open. Again... stay OFF the dunes. It's got something to do with "sea oats"... nothing other than grass that grows on the dunes. Gemme a call if'n you want to meet up, but that don't mean I'm gonna drive 40 miles.
Robin

OP
OP
stevemc

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Captain Robin, Thanks, I dont want to mess with the park service or whomever. I will just be a tourist, just like they want... I will get with you if I get up this way again. Steve.

RelicHunter

Greenie
Jul 2, 2012
Leitchfield, KY
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, White's Coinmaster Pro / Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm heading to Savannah in a couple weeks, these posts have been helpful. Did you do any swinging while you was there stevemc?

SilverFinger

Apr 17, 2008
Woodstock, Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Eagle Spectrum, Treasuremaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it's a zombie thread but I'm going to reply anyway... I moved to N Georgia 6 months ago to escape the brutality of Wisconsin winters. I have no regrets about moving and I don't miss a damn thing about Milyucky, Wisconsin but I can tell you that metal detecting Georgia sucks big, fat, musky, hairy ones. At least N. Georgia. There is nothing here. The areas that might have stuff are strictly off limits and are felonies with serious legal consequences if you detect on them. The private homes are mostly shiny, new developments or overgrown shacks full of nothing but heavy trash. I don't think anybody in the south owned jewelry. If they ever had silver coins, they held them very tightly between their butt cheeks or something. I've been on numerous very promising sites - old homes (with permission), churches and parks from the mid 19th century, schools and there is nothing. Nothing but can slaw, pull tabs, foil and the occasional clad. Not to mention the soil here is extremely hot mineralization wise that make my MXT struggle and generally like digging concrete. Maybe I do miss something about Milwaukee - I didn't go too long before I found something worth keeping. Something, ANYTHING. Metal detecting in Georgia would be like a fisherman fly fishing in the Mojave desert expecting to reel in a 16" large mouth.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it's a zombie thread but I'm going to reply anyway... I moved to N Georgia 6 months ago to escape the brutality of Wisconsin winters. I have no regrets about moving and I don't miss a damn thing about Milyucky, Wisconsin but I can tell you that metal detecting Georgia sucks big, fat, musky, hairy ones. At least N. Georgia. There is nothing here. The areas that might have stuff are strictly off limits and are felonies with serious legal consequences if you detect on them. The private homes are mostly shiny, new developments or overgrown shacks full of nothing but heavy trash. I don't think anybody in the south owned jewelry. If they ever had silver coins, they held them very tightly between their butt cheeks or something. I've been on numerous very promising sites - old homes (with permission), churches and parks from the mid 19th century, schools and there is nothing. Nothing but can slaw, pull tabs, foil and the occasional clad. Not to mention the soil here is extremely hot mineralization wise that make my MXT struggle and generally like digging concrete. Maybe I do miss something about Milwaukee - I didn't go too long before I found something worth keeping. Something, ANYTHING. Metal detecting in Georgia would be like a fisherman fly fishing in the Mojave desert expecting to reel in a 16" large mouth.

Read this Post and lol......zombie it is, but dang funny....:laughing7:

bUMp. °•○°

Last edited:

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Perhaps I could interest you in a roadmap back to Wisconsin..

Yankee01

Feb 23, 2020
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400 Ace
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NGA and East Tennessee have been hit hard and heavy for a long time. Unfortunately indiscriminate hunters have ruined the sport for many.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Unfortunately indiscriminate hunters have ruined the sport for many.

That's the case for almost every hobby, be it metal detecting, bottle digging or arrowhead hunting.

grisso3

Nov 12, 2019
Rincon Ga
Detector(s) used
ace 250 , ace 400 , vulcan pinpointer , nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love downtown Savannah . going back this morning . empty lots , torn up streets and or side walks. curb strips always fun . Look for construction /destruction. coins , bullets , rings , and of course bottles...….

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread