deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd like to know if there is an average depth for outhouses in towns. Where I live, the area dates back to the mid 1800's and most building done by the early 1900's. Houses are really close together here and everyone had an outhouse.

The reason I ask is 2 weeks ago I developed a sinkhole in my yard where the outhouse was. Overnight it dropped about a 1 1/2 foot deep, 2 feet wide and about almost 3 feet long....right next to the alley. Got me a minor liability issue should a car or someone drop into it.

I stepped on it and it feels soft, like it has more room to sink. My neighbor told me the people who owned the house before me used it all the way up to the early 1970's.

You can see other sinkholes but none dropped dramatically like mine did. Only thing I can figure is they covered the hole with wood or something and it finally rotted away.

Is this a common practice instead of filling them in? How deep were these things? Anyone wanna come out and dig it up??? My fee is just fill it back to level ground...lol. Wondering how much deeper this things gonna get.

My neighbors theory is that an underground spring is washing the dirt away into the river. ???

Al

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions