Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About a month and a half ago I had an idea (1st for the year, ha ha) I wanted to be able to pinpoint stuff without buying an electronic pinpointer. I bought the smallest wooden file handle I could find and a 2 foot copper rod that was a little bigger in diameter than a coathanger. I cut the rod in half and shoved it in the handle, then sharpened the other end, but not super sharp. I can't do without it now, I can pinpoint stuff down about as deep as the Ace 250 will find a coin, and because it's brass it won't scratch much. If it bends, I straighten it. It's cheap and it works perfect for me.

knapper

Jun 25, 2006
atlanta ga
Detector(s) used
IDX CLASSIC , SURFMASTER PI
well come on down to georgia son and try some of our sun baked red clay and bring your piece of copper he he ;D

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm wrestling with "bull tallow" up here, that's what they call the soil here in the piedmont. It's hard compacted clay with rock akin to pit gravel all through it. Every good find I've had so far has actually been in the topsoil in old yards and under big trees, and my "pinpointer" works good there. It just cuts down on a lot of digging for me.
And besides, if the ground is super hard, I leave it for someone else anyway. This is a fun hobby to me, and if I brake a digger every time I go out, it wouldn't be fun anymore. ;)

HH,
Ramapirate

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A buddy of mine makes and sells a brass probe with a small ball on the end to prevent damage to a coin as well as a companion "digger", a small spoon shaped probe used to locate and pull out coins with minimum damage to turf. If interested contact Scott Chapman at email [email protected]. Monty

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said copper on the first part, my son was talking about the copper content in a penny to my wife and my brain locked on it. I make them out of brass (and here in Charlotte, N.C. I buy the the brass rods and small wooden handles at Little Hardware. The total cost to make each one is about $3.00 and takes about a minute) I've found while experimenting if you use too thin a rod it bends and if you use too thick a rod you can't get the "tink" sound when you push it in the dirt and hit a coin. I'd mislaid mine the other day when I was going to an old park, and decided I'd just wing it and dig without first pinpointing. I thought I was going to snap in the first 15 minutes! The thing really works for what I intended it for. I walk around with the detector in my left hand (I'm a southpaw) and the pinpointer and digger in the right. If it's freshly dropped clad in a park, I can pop it out with the pinpointer. Otherwise, I can usually go about as deep as the ACE 250 will find it in most of the dirt around here. Another cool thing, it'll pierce a smashed drink can or bottle cap, but doesn't even hardly scratch a coin if at all.
I might start selling them, what ya think? about $6.00 a pop, including shipping in the lower 48? Operators are standing,...bye ;)

HH,
Ramapirate

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I have two brass probes now. During my last move I couldn't find my old one and bought a new one (same kind, brass with pearl handle), then last week cleaning out the last boxes my probe and tumbler popped up. Wouldn't you know it.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I just don't have the feel for using one of those probes. Unless it's a 15" truck rim off a 72 Chevy, I can't find it! Tried it again this morning and found several marble sized rocks and....oh yeah,....anyone need a 15" chevy truck rim? Monty

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to be able to here the difference between the "teeeenk" of a coin and the "taanhk" of a small rock. I have gotten to where I can go around the perimeter of a coin and sometimes guess what it is before I dig it. A penny and a dime are a little hard to tell on.

HH,
Ramapirate

OP
OP
Ramapirate

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the difference I mean...

HH,
Ramapirate

Shamus

Sep 27, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
I'd probably buy one from you. I don't have access to the brass rods or the handles. Let me know if you decide to make them for sale. It sounds like a great idea. Maybe you could throw in an extra rod or two for spares?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread