Florida Keys detecting

Southernhunter

Sep 21, 2006
Florida
Good day all, :)

I am planning a Florida Keys vacation for the family for a week and plan to bring my detector to scoop some sand & hopefully some other good stuff!

Is anyone generally familiar with the rules & regs for beach detecting in the Keys if any? General protocol would be welcome also as I am relatively new to the practice.

Thanks!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as I know you can detect all beaches in the Keys with the exception of Biscayne National Park and other areas around Key Largo like the Marine Sanctuary and John Pennekamp state park.I've never had a problem in the middle or lower Keys.Good luck and keep us posted!

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Southern Hunter: I always understood that 0ld Coins were being found on the Beaches of Tavernier, Plantation, & Grassy Keys.

This is Second Hand info tho! I personally never hunted there! The 1st 2 are N. of Islamorada, The 3rd is S.

Good Luck & have a nice vacation!

Joe

Z

ZipDogg

I'm also from the south, Central AL. From what I've been reading onTN, beaches are the number 1 choice for places to detect for gold and silver jewelry, shipwreck remains(gold coins,etc.). People say that after a big rainstorm is the best time to go. Go to the busiest place, (before or after the busy times). Weekday early mornings or late evenings. I'll bet you will score !
Keep us informed on your finds.
Good pics are always enjoyed ! :)

OP
OP
S

Southernhunter

Sep 21, 2006
Florida
Thanks for your replies,
As far as I can tell the beaches (not the dunes) are open season.
I'm going to rent a 19 foot boat for the week & go MD some uninhabited islands as well. Perhaps there haven't been too many detectorist out there. :-\

I reserved the home on Marathon today and we will be going next week. I like to fish also and fortunantly the house sits on a deep water channel so we can explore all day & fish all night.

I'm torqued! ;D

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good deal.Sounds like your ready and your right about the dunes too.Hint for fishing in Marathon near the bridges inshore,get some live soft shell crabs and fish for permit near the bridges that cross US-1,rig the crab with a 2/0 hook freeline,no leader,no weight using 30-40 lb. line with appropriate rod/reel.If you wanna catch some tarpon,here's a hotspot at night-in the middle of the bridge on channel 2 (which by land is somewhere near mile marker 73 I think),there's a light,the tarpon are thick there right now and aren't too picky about what they eat,I use live pilchards most of the time.Sidenote-use heavy duty rods and reels,your gonna need them!If you go offshore during the day,sailfish,dorado and King mackeral are doing okay,at night offshore stick to the reefs,anchor and bottomfish for snapper-mangroves,yellowtails,mutton,etc.(use lots and lots of chum).Don't use any weight for the yellowtails either,it won't work too well.Good luck and don't hit and run on here,come back and tell us how it went. :)-diggummup

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Southernhunter said:
Thanks for your replies,
As far as I can tell the beaches (not the dunes) are open season.
I'm going to rent a 19 foot boat for the week & go MD some uninhabited islands as well. Perhaps there haven't been too many detectorist out there. :-\

I reserved the home on Marathon today and we will be going next week. I like to fish also and fortunantly the house sits on a deep water channel so we can explore all day & fish all night.

I'm torqued! ;D
Your going to love the Fla. Keys. Beautiful place, clear water, great fishing and diving. My wife and I used to MD uninhabited islands many years ago. You never know. Sometimes old bottles can be found. I used to drive my 16' tri-hull right on the island if it had a beach. Lots of fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions