Archeologist Selling Collection?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm an arch selling relics that he stole off of a battle field because being an arch prevents him from being classified as a looter. :sign10: = license to steal

Graddick

Sep 17, 2011
Ottawa
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Umm...how do you know this person is an archaeologist?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not how any archy would document findings. Probably something made up just for the Ebay pic.

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This listing is for 1- 69 cal.dropped round ball. This relic was found by me on private property with the permission of the landowner at the time. It is now illegal to hunt for relics on this property as it is protected by the National Park Service.This bullet was found on the Roulette farm in the field on the north side of the Roulette barn.This area had been traversed several times by both Confederate and Union soldiers also the barn had been used as a temporary hospital during and after the battle

I believe it. I did that myself with permission back in the early 1970s at the same exact location. Perhaps his ball was something I missed. I'm thinking that .69 caliber ball was intended to be used in one of those Mississippi muskets. I am no archeologist, just an old relic hunter. At that same time I had good luck at Harper's Ferry on privately owned land.

OP
OP
N

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
Graddick said:

I don't. This is a general discussion section and I am posing a question. So do you have something to contribute?

OP
OP
N

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
Obviously, the picture was taken at the time of recovery. I was throwing this out there because of the note card. Do other people record their finds like this?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NewsMan said:
Graddick said:

I don't. This is a general discussion section and I am posing a question. So do you have something to contribute?

You are implying that the Ebay lister is an archeologist stealing finds and selling them for profit. Something that would be a serious crime. Is there a reason you are trying to malign a person you presumably don't know? Do you have something to contribute?

OP
OP
N

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
Jason in Enid said:
NewsMan said:
Graddick said:

You are implying that the Ebay lister is an archeologist stealing finds and selling them for profit. Something that would be a serious crime. Is there a reason you are trying to malign a person you presumably don't know? Do you have something to contribute?

I'm not implying anything, participate or don't. Based on the picture, there is a reason to ask the question. If you don't like it, don't participate in this GENERAL DISCUSSION conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Settle down boys. I don't think he's an archie, just an old detectorist. I've looked back at his feedback on past items and saw that he mounted several of his finds onto pieces of wood for display purposes. I don't think an archie would do that. As for the "tagging insitu", I could do that myself in the yard, doesn't prove anything and may be done just for effect as a selling gimmick. I sent the guy a message and asked him if he's a hobbyist or a pro. 25-30 years ago relic hunting was prime at many CW sites, as compared to today. He hasn't sold any great pieces only minnies, musket balls and a few fragments.

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you think he was an Archaeologist? The first impression I got was when I read the ebay listing was that he was a relic hunter just like the rest of us. Lots of guys I know map where they find things on a map so it gives them a picture of where to hunt next. ie: finding lots of bullets also find the lines where they came from and you find good stuff. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
N

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
Marchas45 said:
Why would you think he was an Archaeologist? The first impression I got was when I read the ebay listing was that he was a relic hunter just like the rest of us. Lots of guys I know map where they find things on a map so it gives them a picture of where to hunt next. ie: finding lots of bullets also find the lines where they came from and you find good stuff. :thumbsup:

Ok... that makes sense! Thanks for the insightful feedback!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NewsMan said:
I'm not implying anything mr. cop smartass. Participate or don't. Based on the picture, there is a reason to ask the question. If you don't like it, don't participate in this GENERAL DISCUSSION conversation.

Well then, you might want to educate yourself on how professionals measure and identify locations at a dig site. I thought that I WAS participating in a discussion about what does or does not show evidence of a crime of theft by an archeaologist (or not an archeaologist as it would seem).

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relax everyone.

He just asked a question.

I too think it may just be his way of
Labeling his finds to display and now sell them.

Personally even if he was an Archeologist,
I wouldn't have a problem with him selling
his finds, as long as He has no Problem with me.

He could consider himself an amateur Archeologist
also.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is his reply to me on Ebay-

I'm just a metal detecting relic hunter who always had a interest in the civil war and kept as accurate a record of my finds that i could.Thanks- oldforesttwo

I think i'll refer him to this site (via this thread).

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is his second reply-

Thanks i checked out the treasurenet forum all i'm doing is selling off some of my personal collection of dug relics that i had found years ago in the 1980's and 90's (with the property owners permission at the time these relics were found). The tags i make up to help people identify the location should they visit the battlefield.The dirt in the pictures is for a background and is from my veg. garden.oldforesttwo- oldforesttwo

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best documented sites ever done and put together in a book was done by a Hobbiest detectorist Duane Bylund,"The Search for Johnstons Army".Many my self included keep strict documentation of finds and there perspective sites :thumbsup:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been a volunteer on many archaeological "digs" and have cataloged many thousands of relics. I can tell you unequivocally that his method of identification bears little resemblance to professional archaeological notation.

When doing an archaeological survey the area is first gridded off into "units" that are typically 1 or 2 meters square and then are sub divided into quads. That way each artifact can be placed accurately within each unit of the grid by triangulation. Traditionally, you start in the southwest corner and label each unit with a number. The first number refers to the east-west location and the second number refers to the north-south location. For example, unit (1,1) is the southwest corner and unit (1,2) is one row east and two rows north of that. (the corner starts at 0)

Each artifact is then cataloged according to the position that it was discovered in it's respective unit both by location and depth, it is then numbered and placed into a bag according to each 10 CM of depth, (below the root mat) A description of the object as well as the time and date is usually documented as well.

GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread