How can a cave opening just dissapear!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Landslide, earthquake, filled in or blown by the mounties or if its in a national park, the park rangers. Which i know for certain thats what they do. My brother knows of a few caves which were filled in in new hampshire. One cave i wanted to look for was filled in. That kind of ticked me off because the cave was supposedly used by Rogers Rangers on their way back from their raid on St. Francis. fragments of ranger uniforms were reported to be found there in the early 1900s.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
D-8 Cat. There was a copper mine up on the mountain behind my house. No evidence of buildings, except boards laying around. I went into the tunnel a little way, and I know people that went all the way to the end, which was quite a distance. Never paid much attention to it in the past, then I decided to take a friend up there and show him the mine. It was gone. The BLM had used a cat and not just closed the entrance, they shaped the ground and there is no evidence of anything ever being there. I've seen this happen in other places also. Abandoned buildings on both Forest Service and BLM land are removed, the ground reshaped and no evidence left that anything had ever been there. When I was a kid back in the late 40's our family used to go scrounging around old mines and homesteads etc. No metal detectors in those days, but plenty of surface finds, bottles, etc. My cousin even found an old cap and ball pistol in one cabin, and my Uncle found the bottle that was half full of the powder he used with the pistol. I don't think that cabin was a mine, I think it had been a cow camp. In another place I remember dad taking an old wooden sluice apart and recovering gold out of it. I've tried going back, and those places are gone now, dozed away and the history replaced with bare ground. They started doing that in the '60's when hippies started moving into abandoned buildings out in the hills. They also took all mention of old mines and historic places off the Forest Service maps in the 70's.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you mean like over years, or like it was there last week and now it''s gone?
luvsdux

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Bosn open that mine back up or find the dump heap, one thing copper likes is being with silver ;D

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Guys I love caves and the thought of old silver mines just rocks my world, but I'm an ex-coalminer and mining is all my family has ever done... be careful especially of old mines, there is something called black damp that will kill you in your tracks, its the lack of Oxygen... There is no warning and there is no escape.... for that reason never venture past the point of site of the entrance without proper gear, make sure someone is outside, and knows where you are... Black damp is bad mojo!!!! Not trying to ruin anyones day just want my THer Buddies to be safe!!!!!

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in the early 80's I was hiking/detecting in the Allegheny plateau area and spotted a cave entrance with a locked, rusty iron door. I had run into a ranger and asked him about it. He explained that the caves in the immediate area of where I was were either closed over or dynamited to eliminate the bear population. A fancy resort was in process of being built...can't have people running into bears if you're skiing I guess?

Al

OP
OP
R

Rugger

Mar 25, 2011
relicminer said:
Guys I love caves and the thought of old silver mines just rocks my world, but I'm an ex-coalminer and mining is all my family has ever done... be careful especially of old mines, there is something called black damp that will kill you in your tracks, its the lack of Oxygen... There is no warning and there is no escape.... for that reason never venture past the point of site of the entrance without proper gear, make sure someone is outside, and knows where you are... Black damp is bad mojo!!!! Not trying to ruin anyones day just want my THer Buddies to be safe!!!!!
You are Right old mines are dangerous (worked as a miner in my early years) and very cautious.
What I came across is a possible ancient volcano tubes with surrounding rock being di-base , none of it is fractured.
I did find a fault line about 600 ft in length.
According to the story there was a opening at one time but it was lost. One area caught my eyes, it was wind blown sand
piled up against a rock face and there is sign of sand slippage. Something is under this pile! We ran out of time and a return trip is planned this spring.
There is more to this story that I,m letting on. Sorry?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread