If it was a life and Death Decision, AT PRO or AT Gold!!!!!!

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Let me start out by saying these are the only two choices.... I know you Fisher, Minelab, and Tesoro guys are chomping at the bit to chime in but please limit this to these two machines.... I love some of the other choices, but an all around detector that is waterproof, come on it's a no brainer!!! Be honest with what you have either researched, actually used, or have seen from a friend, take into account the new machines with all the kinks worked out!!! Now what do ya got?

j.dean

Dec 6, 2006
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's V3I, Garrett's AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT-PRO, best detector for the money (or double the money) that I have used. Got mine for Christmas, and have fell in love!

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a Pro, I bought it in November 2010, it's been a flawless machine, no issues whatsoever. If they had offered the Gold at that time, I'd have had a hard decision to make. I was used to a threshold, but I also wanted to try beach hunting...

You have to make the decision...
What are you used to and what are your expectations?
Are you into the gold hunting as well as relics? If that was what I was doing, I'd go Gold.
Relics and beach hunting? The only answer is Pro.
Unfortunately, neither machine offers it all...

No threshold (Pro), or threshold (Gold)
Usable in Salt water (Pro) or fresh water only (Gold)

There are other factors as well, but the two above are the ones I'd focus on as I think these are what drive most folks decisions one way or the other...

If you get the Pro, you should get the Gold 5X8 coil, if you get the Gold, you can get the Pro coil; then you'd have additional weapons in your bag.

Only you know what you plan on doing with it.

OP
OP
relicminer

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Dwight, that's a good way to look at it.

ezzz1

Oct 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75,Teknetic 8000, At pro , At gold,Tesoro Sabre Compass X-80,fisher cd3z, goldbug2 , Garrett 250 ace 150 ,Fisher F-5,fisher 553,Teknetic 2000,fisher f4 Tesoro lobo,, silver Umax, ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dwight S said:
I have a Pro, I bought it in November 2010, it's been a flawless machine, no issues whatsoever. If they had offered the Gold at that time, I'd have had a hard decision to make. I was used to a threshold, but I also wanted to try beach hunting...

You have to make the decision...
What are you used to and what are your expectations?
Are you into the gold hunting as well as relics? If that was what I was doing, I'd go Gold.
Relics and beach hunting? The only answer is Pro.
Unfortunately, neither machine offers it all...

No threshold (Pro), or threshold (Gold)
Usable in Salt water (Pro) or fresh water only (Gold)

There are other factors as well, but the two above are the ones I'd focus on as I think these are what drive most folks decisions one way or the other...

If you get the Pro, you should get the Gold 5X8 coil, if you get the Gold, you can get the Pro coil; then you'd have additional weapons in your bag.

Only you know what you plan on doing with it.

I have both, if soneone was just going to do coin hunting mostly i think the Pro is the way to go..
You can also set the gold where it has no threshold. I've seen time when i had a headache that i turn it to zero & i dont think that it didnt make any differance in it
Both are very good at coin hunting but the pro has a better screen for coins.
both are excellant for relic hunting. If you going to do any nugget shooting the gold would be best. It has the ability to pick up a nugget the size just smaller than a match head at about 5 to 6 inch.
I'am thinking about going to beach next couple of week and i'am going to take both.

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you planning on detecting with snorkel or diving gear? Why is underwater such a major criteria? Either one you pic you are going to love. But there ARE a couple of Technetics and Fishers you should be taking a peak at (LOL) ;D Can't you get an Omega 8,000 for the same money? I almost got an AT Pro this week, went with a Goldbug Pro (G2) instead. Must say, the dual processors are smokin' fast on recovery speed. Oh sorry, forgot, no talking about other brands :BangHead:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AT Pro.

It is simply a more versatile machine for your average hobbyist.

That is not to knock the AT Gold at all, but if I could have only one, it'd be the AT Pro.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd hardly consider this a life or death decision. Maybe a I'm going to make a living with this detector decision. AT Pro because it can be used in salt water and I don't plan to go prospecting anytime soon.

OP
OP
relicminer

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No your right, theres no life or death situation here...lol Just wanted to through a little drama into the mix... seems like some people on here are a little uptight...lol All's well... :icon_thumleft:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it was a real life or death situation I'd hope I had a shovel instead of a detector. It is heavier and makes a better club! Monty

zone3799

Greenie
Jun 23, 2008
Melbourne - Australia
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 / Garrett / Sea Hunter MK11
I'd pick Life :P
Sorry , can only answer the first half of the question as I do not own any of those detectors :laughing9:

Although I am saving up for and have the same dilemma myself , upgrading from my old faithful Ace 250 .

B

Bev

I have an AT Pro and it went into the shop for a small problem but even then, I wouldnt give it up.
I have my Garrett Ace 250 with brand new back pack and really nice digger on CL now for sale and hopefully when that sells, I can get an AT Gold. I love the Pro but having the Gold would be great and If I stayed in the AT family, the coils and underwater headphones will be interchangable saving me money. The Pro came with the double D which I hated at first but am ok with now, and the Gold comes with the smaller 5x8 coil which is supposed to be fantastic. I have a sniper also that will fit on both as well.
If you're used to the ace 250, you may like the Pro because the std mode is very similar running to the 250.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread