Old metal detector

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I still use a Compass 77b I keep handy, from time to time. It dates to the early 1970s. It's an all-metal TR. It can see through small iron (up to 2 or 3 nails at a time), like they're not even there. So that makes it good for ghost-town type hunting. But the benefits end there. In all other ways, it's an antique and will get its b*tt kicked by modern machines. Ie.: a bear to keep balanced, lacking depth, no other forms of disc, lousy in minerals, etc... But I have found times that it finds things that today's machines can't.

dnuggett

Greenie
Dec 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Compass 99B but wouldn't start a hunt with it. It was purchased as a tool for a specific purpose- to not alert on the iron. If the situation is right it will come out, just another tool to increase finds.

Alienson

Nov 15, 2011
Austin, Texas, area
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a Heath Kit MD that I built for my father in 1968. It still works, but I've not used it in years. Actually, I've just recently got re-interested in MDing and purchased an ACE 350 at Thanksgiving and found two gold rings (one a men's wedding band 12g) the first "official" time out to a park.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
I guess I'm a newbie here....my kids gave me a White's Coin Clasic II for Christmas of 1990....1st used in the spring of 1991. I've updated twice since them. I just finished my 21st yr using a DFX for the last 10 years. Now and then I use the Coin Classic II for fun..... that is a good machine, still pulls the coins pretty well.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
1984 Garrett Freedom II, complete with original Official Detector of the 1984 olympics sticker, hands down the most productive coin grabber ever devised, my bum buddies that wont buy their own tector always want to use that one, turning down cz units and things like atpros and such.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use my trusty Garrett Freedom ace, I think it is 16 years or older, and it is a great relic detector. It is probably what the ace 250 is today.

dnuggett

Greenie
Dec 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took my Compass 99B out recently. 100khz is great for ignoring the iron!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread