Do you ever wonder who owned that item before it was lost ?

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
I ALWAYS wonder who owned that item before it was lost to the dark "underworld" . What did they do with it ? Where did they acquire it from ? What were they doing when they lost it ? & finally did they ever know it was missing after they lost it ?

I think of a old fashioned scene ,lets just say that I have found a token from the Roaring 20's ;) ;D..I wonder how did they get the token ? Was it a store promotion ?
Am i silly or does anyone else do this too ?? LOL !

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
SR,

everytime. Try figuring out what an area was like;
who lost the item or why is it there; ask myself
all types of questions.

have a good un.......

OP
OP
Spitfire Reddie

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
SR,

everytime. Try figuring out what an area was like;
who lost the item or why is it there; ask myself
all types of questions.

have a good un.......
Yeah i try to figure what the place looked like too when it was hustling & bustling in its hayday or what building may have been there before.

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Just this past winter I was digging up a blacksmith building at an old lumber camp. There were hundreds of broken grab hooks neatly laid out in rows. I could just see the smithy doing this day after day. I felt guilty disturbing them after all those years. And I didn't find any good metal in the whole bunch.

OP
OP
Spitfire Reddie

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Paul is Dead said:
Spitfire Reddie said:
I ALWAYS wonder who owned that item before it was lost to the dark "underworld" . What did they do with it ? Where did they acquire it from ? What were they doing when they lost it ? & finally did they ever know it was missing after they lost it ?

I think of a old fashioned scene ,lets just say that I have found a token from the Roaring 20's ;) ;D..I wonder how did they get the token ? Was it a store promotion ?
Am i silly or does anyone else do this too ?? LOL !

I just want to know who is your pharmacist is... Not a request, just want to talk to him. And how many hours are you allowed on the computer? I only get two from the hospital.

My "hospital" allows as much time as i want .I told them if i didn't get it i would go bipolar on their butts ;) ;D ;D Not Bipolar Disorder Type I but type II !! ;D ;D ;D

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Now at last a good post (thread)!

I really enjoy these kinds of discussions. I'm a big romantic when it comes to old stuff and who owned it and what it was used for, etc.

Some items are easy to figure (condom boxes, drug pipes, CW sword found on battle field at night while hunting dressed in black, etc.). But then there are the coins, jewelry, relics, all sorts of mysterious things nobody can ID.

I know of a guy who found a cocked, loaded, and heavily corroded German Luger in a cave.

Another friend hunts Copper Culture relics some 6,000 years old. He digs those items right where some person thousands of years ago laid them down. That's too cool.

I dig mostly 19th century lumberjack relics. I study an area, get the old photos of the actual lumberjacks, and then find their old camps. I have a blast comparing my finds to the axes, saws, etc., in the original photos.

Touching the past is great fun mainly because deep inside we all know something is definitely wrong with the present.

HH

Badger

OP
OP
Spitfire Reddie

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Michigan Badger said:
Touching the past is great fun mainly because deep inside we all know something is definitely wrong with the present.

You are exactly right Badger .I agree 100 percent that there is something wrong with todays worlds. VERY WRONG

Anyway, i am the same way,its fun to imagine a items history. ;D

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
I once had permission to hunt the site of the old Germantown Academy in Philadelphia, PA. One of the buildings there had a plate on the wall which read something like "this building was President George Washington's headquarters during the yellow fever epidemic of 1792." In the front yard of that building, I dug a couple of colonial coppers, I think a Wood's Hibernia token and a Britannia piece. Guess what I was wondering?

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i dont always wonder about objects, but i do often wonder about the older ones. buttons and coins from the 1700s. if they could only talk the stories they might tell!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ask myself questions all the time...how did this get here, wonder what it was used for...

I will alway remember the day I was out in the field next to the river when I found 3 "perfect" scrapers/knives. I sat down in the dirt, joyful tears welling in my eyes as I looked around thinking about what that area looked like years and years ago when the Indians were here. As if some Indian Spirit was watching over me...a hawk come circling around the field...it was awesome.

;) RR

digdug_rita

Sep 28, 2006
Mornin' folks....one of the thrills I receive from detecting is trying to figure out the piece and what it meant to the person that lost it. I love finding whatzit's, the challenge and conversation you can get from a piece that you have no idea what it is or what it was for...

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
skierbob said:
I once had permission to hunt the site of the old Germantown Academy in Philadelphia, PA. One of the buildings there had a plate on the wall which read something like "this building was President George Washington's headquarters during the yellow fever epidemic of 1792." In the front yard of that building, I dug a couple of colonial coppers, I think a Wood's Hibernia token and a Britannia piece. Guess what I was wondering?

Yep, most likely George dropped them there.

These things do extremely well on ebay. I once saw a guy claim he dug a "haunted coin" at the site of the old Salem Witch Trials and he got nearly $100 for it on ebay. The coin itself was dated about 1692 and had a book value of about $5.

I suspect you won't be selling your coppers though. If I ever dug anything like that from one of those sites I'd never sell.

kid iowa

Aug 7, 2005
I saw a show recently where these people had paranormal powers. One lady could hold an object and get images of people that had owned it. They tested her with objects that producers had, and she had amazing results that the producers confirmed. She wasn't able to give names or anything, but her descriptions of the owners and their characteristics really shook up some of the producers. I'd love to find someone who could do that.

Keith IL

Jan 8, 2004
kid iowa said:
I saw a show recently where these people had paranormal powers. One lady could hold an object and get images of people that had owned it. They tested her with objects that producers had, and she had amazing results that the producers confirmed. She wasn't able to give names or anything, but her descriptions of the owners and their characteristics really shook up some of the producers. I'd love to find someone who could do that.
I actually new someone who could do the same thing.I was there when she held an object beloning to a friends runaway daughter and she saw exactly where she was and the cops actually went and found her there,800 miles away. VERY SPOOKY

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all about the mystery of the history, with all things once lost to the dark abyss, now found, brought forth once again into the lighted new world.
Can I have my meds now doc? :)

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found some CW relics once and sat under a tree and wondered about them. I normally just put stuff in my pockets and don't think too much about it unless it's sorta valuable in some way. ;D

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
diggummup said:
It's all about the mystery of the history, with all things once lost to the dark abyss, now found, brought forth once again into the lighted new world.
Can I have my meds now doc? :)

Doctor! You sound perfectly normal to me to me to me to me

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also always do that...... Good practice as it helps to work problems out relating to that object. Also make treasure hunting more real.

God bless
Peter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions