My new digging tool....

S

shreddah

papa said:
Hey s, Don't feel bad,there is at least one roll of duck tape in every house in the US. :) I am the proud owner of at least 5 rolls. ;D
So,what sort of digging tool do you want ???

oh I dunno. anything is probably better than what i use right now.... a very old gardening shovel. a kitchen knife and this little poker thing with a wood handle. sometimes I take this little hole digger tool but it is kind of bulky and doesnt fit in my belt so not too often I use that.

papa

Sep 21, 2006
OK, I can see that you are in dare need of some tools. As it happens,I'm in the process of making a new digging "thingie" ;D Maybe I can scrounge up enough parts to make another one ??? No promises,but I'll try. If I forget,yell at me. Us old farts have a short memory :)

S

shreddah

that would be wonderful. Just let me know whatcha come up with and if you come up with anything ill send yah my address. I can use a soldering iron but thats about it and I doubt soder would hold anything together good enough.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Will.Dig.For.Food said:
Badger
I would like to see one of your core bit diggers. That should be thin enough to cut easily yet maintain good rigidity.

Using the core bit saw is just an idea at this point. I'm assuming they'll cut easily into sod by using a back-and-forth action with a T handle.

There'll be no problem with strength using a core bit. They drill through concrete with those things.

I need to get busy and order the stuff to make one. I've just been so busy around the office lately I haven't had time.

My plan is supper simple. Just mount an approx. 40 inch pipe with T handle to a 6-8 inch diameter core bit. Just a hit or two from a rubber mallet should knock the dirt out of the bit.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Mighty AP said:
Hey MB, if you have plans drawn up with dimensions & I get my tig welder Id love to take a shot at building this for you. I also want to make you one of my "improved" diggin tools, the one I sent you was one of my early designs & I believe the ones I make now are an improvement over the older models. Im stocking up on materials & if i can get a welder you will be one of the first to get a new model. If interested, let me know what kind of materials i will need & I'll try to get what we need from work in the next week. (before Im laid off again, lol)

Hey, thanks much Mighty! But I think my days of getting down on my knees are over. :'(

I saw the doc yesterday and I don't need surgery but I have arthritis and calcium build-up in my knee so I have to do my digging standing up from now on.

See my post above on the core bit idea and let me know what you think.

Best to you good friend.

Badger

papa

Sep 21, 2006
I've been thinking,how about something similar to a tulip bulb planter ??? Just more on the heavy duty side. Serrated cutting teeth,with a removeable handle.About a six inch diameter
cut,think that will be big enough ???

OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shreddah said:
papa said:
Hey s, Don't feel bad,there is at least one roll of duck tape in every house in the US. :) I am the proud owner of at least 5 rolls. ;D
So,what sort of digging tool do you want ???

oh I dunno. anything is probably better than what i use right now.... a very old gardening shovel. a kitchen knife and this little poker thing with a wood handle. sometimes I take this little hole digger tool but it is kind of bulky and doesnt fit in my belt so not too often I use that.

try this.....the handle and blade are one piece and the hilt is welded, on the back, to the blade. the weld is solid from one side of the hilt to the other. no spto tacks.....it only took $10.00 to talk me out of my money..... Lifetime Guarantee.....

OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shreddah said:
some of you welding people should make me a digging tool. Im a girl. I dont touch those dangerous tools. its not my thing. the best my tools get is extremely duct taped together.

http://www.fiskars.com/US/Garden/Product+Detail?contentId=97333

I got this at Target. $10.00 was all it cost me. The handel and blade are one solid piece and the hilt is welded to the blade on the back side and all the way across. No "tack" welds for you metal joiners.....It carries a Lifetime Guarantee....

OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Badger I sure hate to know that your knee gives you trouble. I am only 34 and have knee trouble of my own. Many years of being hard on the body, up and down steep lands with improper foot wear, and breaking my leg when I was younger. Split the shin bone in my right leg from ankle to knee when I was 8 years old. Hurt like a "b"-have myself......After a couple of good bends my left one is daring me to do that again......Now I just bend at the waist. After a long day of that my L region is also daring me to do that again...lol....repetition for strength. That crap is for teen-agers who have been furthere than the end of the block, much less around.....

From now on I am digging iron only. The magnet on the end of my string will pick it up for me......

The core bit idea seems like a good one. I would rip one withthe band saw, bevel the tip and point it. Should make a nice narrow sharpshooter......You don't sharpen those bits either. Just toss em when the wear down. I bet it you offered a couple of neat coins to someone with a core shop you could get a dull one.......let us know how that goes....I might wanna try it......

papa

Sep 21, 2006
wdff, What do you think about the tulip planter made into a digger ? Think it might work ?

OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bulb planter? Looks like a plumb-bob or the circular kind you squeeze, twist into the soil, then release and it pulls the plug? Either would be good for forested type soils as they tend to be softer than sunbaked yards and public areas. I would recommend this tool and the narrow blunt screwdriver approach......

http://www.fiskars.com/US/Garden/Product+Detail?contentId=97333

10 bucks at target....

papa

Sep 21, 2006
That should do the job.But the closest Target is down around Roanoke,about a 2 hour drive.
And since I have already been a victim of identity thief,I'm a bit shy about ordering on line.Too,be honest,I cut up all my credit cars. Don't want to go through that mess again.
Besides,I like to tinker,see what I can come up with ;D

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Will.Dig.For.Food said:
Badger I sure hate to know that your knee gives you trouble. I am only 34 and have knee trouble of my own. Many years of being hard on the body, up and down steep lands with improper foot wear, and breaking my leg when I was younger. Split the shin bone in my right leg from ankle to knee when I was 8 years old. Hurt like a "b"-have myself......After a couple of good bends my left one is daring me to do that again......Now I just bend at the waist. After a long day of that my L region is also daring me to do that again...lol....repetition for strength. That crap is for teen-agers who have been furthere than the end of the block, much less around.....

From now on I am digging iron only. The magnet on the end of my string will pick it up for me......

The core bit idea seems like a good one. I would rip one withthe band saw, bevel the tip and point it. Should make a nice narrow sharpshooter......You don't sharpen those bits either. Just toss em when the wear down. I bet it you offered a couple of neat coins to someone with a core shop you could get a dull one.......let us know how that goes....I might wanna try it......

Sorry to read you also have physical limitations.

I should just order a core bit. The silver tipped ones are pretty cheap even new. I can get a 6 inch wide one for about $40.

I'll try to order one tomorrow and get this thing going. I plan to drive to an old house site in the morning. I got this tip from a friend. All that's left of this Victorian mansion is a foundation. Sounds good.

I'll keep in touch.

Badger

OP
OP
Blind.In.Texas

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Badger, they are not limitations. I do anything i want to do. just a little achy painy thing. its always something different. i have not reached a point yet where any one thing plagues me consistently. there are those with limitations and i do not fit in with that.....i dont not let my pain interfere with work or fun un less it is by my decision. there are, however, those who can not go that way and i applaud them for maintaining an active life. i can only hope that when i get to that point of constant pain, no matter how little or much, that i can continue as well..... sounds to me as though your knees are in much worse shape than mine and i hope that you can continue for a long time to come.......peace.

Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Famous-Trails-MD9100 ACE250-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mate thats good enough to dig a tank out of the ground! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread