Tesoro Vaquero is a surprizing machine!

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that's one of the best choices in a beep and dig machine on the market today. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
luvsdux

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Actually the depth on my Tejon is not that impressive unless you run it in all metal mode. Then she's a beast.
-Swartzie

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a tejon and did not like it. My vaqero seemed to get the same depth but I did not give the tejon a chance. I had heard so much about them for so long that when I bought one I thought relics would start falling from the sky. I did not keep my tejon long enough to learn it. I am sure it is plenty deep but I did not see anything better then my vaquero.
The V is a fantastic machine well worth the money.

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Ohio soil, "midwest" soil, and most east of central USA soils (not certain areas of the SE and NE) are considerably lighter in Fe than those West of the Rocky Mountains. Most Texas soil is extremely light. This Fe difference is what separates most detectors from the others. When the soil is lighter the Tejon beats the other detectors like a red-headed step child, and makes Explorer users somewhat bewildered when they encounter it.

When soil gets (too) full of magnetite/hematite, it starts to change things radically. Black sand is a detectorist's worst enemy. The Vaquero operates better as the black sand increases than the Tejon does, because it's recover speed is slightly quicker. I have to set my cz-70 at 1 1/2- 2 1/2 on it's GB scale, but friends in Ohio (for example) only set their cz at 5 to 7. This indicates twice as much iron in the soil here - as it has there. It makes a BIG difference in depth, 7" on the best of days (and very seldom), with a 5" average. I have seen soil so bad on the Washington coastal beaches that only a $50,000 magnetometer would work, and my Whites PI acted up before it got within 2 feet of it. In average soil though I see no difference at all between the depth of the Tejon and the Vaquero, but the Vaquero runs a bit quieter, regardless of which mode I run it in, and as black sand increases it starts to do a little better than the Tejon. The Tejon has a bit more raw power (gain) but it's sensitivity has to be turned down more often than the Vaquero's, so it defeats the higher gain - and puts it in the same ball field as the Tejon..The truth is that the Tejon was made to beat the Nautiluses, and it did. It also is very similar to a Fisher 1270, but lighter in weight. They both are primarily CW relic hunters, and good ones too.

In Ohio and most other areas east of the Rockies, the cz can run from a 5 to a 9 on the scale, it's a different world, but here in the west it's all different. The Tejon won the GNRS once, the Vaquero wasn't the one that did it. The Nautiluses won it for YEARS, but after the Tejon won it the Fisher F-75 took over, and most of the Nautie dealers quit pushing Nautilus's any more. In super-mild soil the Tejon has only 1/2" edge on the Vaquero, at best, but the Vaquero runs quieter.

LL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread