What should I be paid to sell things on eBay?

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a lady in the back of my antique/collectibles shop who operated a few ebay accounts, sold all sorts of items, hundreds a month, both from the shop and on consignment. The problem is all the fees associated with ebay, digs into the returns. I'd say 35% - 40% minimum if you want to stand a chance of making any money. But it also depends on what you are selling as every listing takes time, and time is money. I wouldn't even bother to take online consignments unless they were at least a $100.00 item with fair potential of selling.

OP
OP
brendan1414

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
bigscoop said:
I had a lady in the back of my antique/collectibles shop who operated a few ebay accounts, sold all sorts of items, hundreds a month, both from the shop and on consignment. The problem is all the fees associated with ebay, digs into the returns. I'd say 35% - 40% minimum if you want to stand a chance of making any money. But it also depends on what you are selling as every listing takes time, and time is money. I wouldn't even bother to take online consignments unless they were at least a $100.00 item with fair potential of selling.

Our rule of thumb is that we get $15 out of an item plus shipping. Hes really trying to clear stuff at that wont sell in the shop very well, so he wants to rid anything he can make a $1+ profit out of.

Twisted One

Apr 18, 2011
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a great tactic, not only does it help inventory to keep moving, it reaches a much wider audience. The next step for the store would most likely be it's own website, with a online store built into it. Not only does it have the chance of increasing sales, but the items you put on ebay should be able to be linked back to the website and that gives customers a little more comfort when bidding.

And if they are bidding on something on ebay from the store and check the link to the store and see what other great stuff you may have, then you might just have a return customer without the ebay factor added in to the transaction.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
brendan1414 said:
Thanks for the good luck from everyone! no offense taken RGINN either, i know it sounded a bit too good to be true at first and skepticism of me actually getting the job was rampant, but he really was in demand for someone like me! Heres the store name:

nwj555

I will be putting up a good 7-10 items up per day and clearing out inventory, and the best part is that he starts at a low price and lets it bid up from there, so if you like something you have a good chance at getting it cheap! Any suggestions to my listing style (i know it can be generic at times) would be appreciated!

Having done this a lot I can tell you, you are doing an excellent job for him. Good pics, good descriptions, and in the right category. It's just the little stuff now like.... grouping things. I seen you have license plates on... if you have 20, as long as they're all different, try to get them on together. Also, for certain things there's at least two categories they fit well, and it's not much to add a 2nd category, and sometimes really worth it getting that many more views. one more... have you first picture fill the entire screen with the item. It will show better in the gallery pic, and then the person can see the rest of the pictures in the listing. Like I said you're doing good and if you didn't change a thing he should be still very happy with how it's going. oh one more... sometimes Ebay does really cheap listing days on short notice. If you could really get ahead of things and be ready to go on short notice you can save him some fees. You can really take advantage of something like that for expensive items, especially if you have a lot. Even if you had 20 to go, you can price them fairly high and run them through to see what happens, and you're only out the 10 cents or whatever if they don't sell. Having a store works well with that because it's all right there saved in your store, then when the discount day happens, you can run them all through... maybe for a little less then your store moving, but sales are sales.

OP
OP
brendan1414

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Iron Patch said:
brendan1414 said:
Thanks for the good luck from everyone! no offense taken RGINN either, i know it sounded a bit too good to be true at first and skepticism of me actually getting the job was rampant, but he really was in demand for someone like me! Heres the store name:

nwj555

I will be putting up a good 7-10 items up per day and clearing out inventory, and the best part is that he starts at a low price and lets it bid up from there, so if you like something you have a good chance at getting it cheap! Any suggestions to my listing style (i know it can be generic at times) would be appreciated!

Having done this a lot I can tell you, you are doing an excellent job for him. Good pics, good descriptions, and in the right category. It's just the little stuff now like.... grouping things. I seen you have license plates on... if you have 20, as long as they're all different, try to get them on together. Also, for certain things there's at least two categories they fit well, and it's not much to add a 2nd category, and sometimes really worth it getting that many more views. one more... have you first picture fill the entire screen with the item. It will show better in the gallery pic, and then the person can see the rest of the pictures in the listing. Like I said you're doing good and if you didn't change a thing he should be still very happy with how it's going. oh one more... sometimes Ebay does really cheap listing days on short notice. If you could really get ahead of things and be ready to go on short notice you can save him some fees. You can really take advantage of something like that for expensive items, especially if you have a lot. Even if you had 20 to go, you can price them fairly high and run them through to see what happens, and you're only out the 10 cents or whatever if they don't sell. Having a store works well with that because it's all right there saved in your store, then when the discount day happens, you can run them all through... maybe for a little less then your store moving, but sales are sales.

I actually didnt list those license plates :P it was the owner's wife who manages everything and put up a few listings a day before i got hired

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread