DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is better to post this in the General Discussions forum.

DCMatt

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting question being as i own both machines(my BHID is the older model with the 950 coil on it, other than that same unit)..here goes my take:

IF you are primarily hunting fresh water the Whites wins hands down....its fairly deep, has great tonal responses to ID gold or coinage and nulls over iron. In fact, IF :BangHead: Whites would pull their heads out of their butts and make 3 simple modifications on this unit it would command the brand loyalty of the Minelab water machines...It is a decent machine as is but here are it's shortcomings: 1. the coil floats like a cork so you have to either weigh it down with a sand filled sock or shorten the shaft to get more leverage on it. 2. the coil is not interchangeable; it is hardwired in. A 12" coil is too big for detecting in the waves imho. 3. it has a manual ground balance instead of an automatic one....

I have the most experience on the whites but it is a real bear to use in the saltwater waves...a lot of falsing and the floating coil issue ...onto the Garrett

i bought the Sea Hunter last year primarily for hunting the salt water waves....It is good for that, the coil doesn't float, is interchangeable and it is DEEP...that said, the discrimination on the unit is a joke...it is a dig all machine!!! you will come back burned out!! I only use it for salt water hunting....

In short: the BHID is good for fresh water, dry and wet sand and acceptable for salt water hunting if you hunt an area without a lot of wave action....the SH2 is good for salt water hunting but too tiresome for fresh water

hope that helps

OP
OP
Scottso

Scottso

May 8, 2009
long island new york
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75se, Minelab Excalibur, Minelab etrac, Tesoro sand shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thanks that helps

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have owned the BHID and T-Bone is correct the coil floats. I have no problem with a 12 inch coil in the surf, I hunt with 15" coils that are hardwired on my Excals.....

I have never used a Sea Hunter so can't say either way, but since it is a PI, it wouldnt be for me..... I don't like digging tiny pieces of iron...

Why don't you consider a good used excal. It will null on iron so unless you digging up a large piece of rebar you want dig any iron at all, you can go from dry sand to deep water with out adjusting anything more than your sensitivity, you don't need to ground balance it ever.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In your list of detectors used you list about all that are made. Seems you would know the answer to your own question.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
In your list of detectors used you list about all that are made. Seems you would know the answer to your own question.

:sign10:

Sandman is correct you profile says you have experience with both already. :evil5:

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Better" is a highly individualized assessment.

If you tell us what has you torn between the two, perhaps we could give you more specific help.

Since one is a pulse and the other is a VLF, it would be a bit like comparing apples to avocados.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread