Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey!
i work in a tool and die shop and have full access to all machines including a waterjet also i am a tig welder so i plan on saving a few bucks and custom build a sand scoop similar to this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-STE...330?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c61f5ac02
but i need as accurate size of the holes as you can measure,
last year i took an old juice jug and drilled several holes in it ,i worked well in the dry sand but the wet sand clogged up to easy because the holes were to small. and i don't want to make them too big so the good stuff falls through.
thanks for your help

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I made and gave away several scoops.
Tried to sell them but had no takers.
Finestkind.org

I made the holes .625 or 5/8" for those not into detail.
A dime measures .704 so I thought it would work all for coins.

Grey

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like you have all the right stuff for the job! I have one Titanium so far and another lighter in the works, you may want to thing about Ti.......

Hunting partner makes The Diablo Scoop..which is still in the testing stages, been thur several designs, evolving and near release. We have tested and still have several scoops that we used from many makers to come up with a better scoop...one that is lighter weight, hard hitting deep scoop, which drains very fast.... maybe you can learn some from these pictures.....holes are 0.498, the small holes are 0.375, material so far is 304 SS, 2024 Alum, Titanium 6-4
Alum powder coated model, 3 pounds 8oz+

Attachments

• Diablo (2).jpg
    Diablo (2).jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 1,151

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
OBN those are nice scoops!
What size are the holes?
The .625 holes in mine are fine for coins but earrings and smaller stuff would not be captured.
I made my scoops out of polymer so a pinpointer would tell if there was something there.
Then you would rinse it in the water to remove wet sand.
If no signal from sand in scoop then dump it from the front.
Even with .625 holes wet sand will not flow very well without rinse.
As you are in the water that is no problem .
Maybe you could go down to 1/4" mesh liner and get the earrings or 1/8" and get nose rings?

Grey

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
I have been working sand beaches for years. I have 3 water machines, 3 excals and a sand shark. Wasted a lot of money on metal scopes. I have one of the first minelab explorers and buggered up my shoulder dragging it behind me because the explorer would pick it up. Over the years I built a number of non-metal sand scopes. If it isn't isn't in the scope it is still in the sand. Most are 3 to 4 feet tall with big bertha over 6 feet for deep water. And the beauty of these scopes... they float.
As for hole size, the largest hole will not let a dime pass through it. Problem with this size is small jewelry items such as ear rings will slip through. Solution to this problem, start with 1/4 inch holes at the bottom and slowly inlarge until the larges holes are at the front and to the sides. I have found numerous ear rings with these scopes. However, what do you do with single ear rings. Hope this helps you.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The short answer is if a dime won't drop out, that is the right size. ie a hair smaller than a dime. I now use a modified Jet Scoop. That is I added a handle to it, replaced all nuts and bolts with stainless steel, added additional aluminum pop rivets. The original scoop is SS with square holes. It was spot welded and bolted together. It has lasted 10 years so far. The holes are just small enough to hold a dime. I always scan the hole and pile of sand after a scoop so I know that I have lost nothing. The closest I came was a fine gold chain which went through two holes and dangled there. Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread