need some help

metalman709

Jan 5, 2011
georgia
Detector(s) used
tesoro cibola
okay guys, i need some help.... i have hunted for a year now and i have only found 2 coins that were before 64'..... and both of them were on top of the ground!!! i've been in spots where i know older coins have to be and not located any.... my question is, am i not getting depth??? running a tesoro cibola and now running the at pro.... i know these are not deep machines but how deep does one need??? am i just out of range with these machines????

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
frank, you should of started out with a White's you would have a shoe books full of old silver coins by now.
just kidding. your frank from the American pickers aren't you.you sure do look a like him,how's mike been,where's Daniel...
No just kidding with Yaa... research will help you locate that old silver..

liftloop

Jersey Hunter

Dec 27, 2011
Barnegat, NJ
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE and G2, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger and Relic Hunter Shovel.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Both are very highly rated machines, so I doubt if its the machine. Try keeping your search grid small and make sure you overlap each sweep. Could also be like me,a lot of times the coins are just not there even though we think they should be. :BangHead: Good luck.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The oldest coins I have found (18th century) have all been less than 5 inches. Old ain't always deep. I hunt native american artifacts from the 1700's. Most are in the 4 to 8 inch range. Maybe somebody else has already hunted the place. Don't know if you grid search or not, but griding has always be beneficial to me.

-Swartzie

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

The only reason you haven't found anything older, is your coil hasn't gone over it YET :icon_thumleft:

SS

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, the silver has to be there in order to find it. Have you tried an older private yard?
Old city yards are great too, lots of 100-year old coins at 3-5" deep. In the county parks, the outskirt lawn areas have given up keepers too. Good luck

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right there with ya, bud. My best find here in Colorado, in the heart of the Rockies, has been a 1876 dime. In a place I just looked at on a whim. That's the best in 8 years. Lots of clad, but little silver. Like it was said, I just haven't yet swung my coil over the right spot. I am convinced that goldminers pretty much didn't have a penny to their name to lose, but they had no problem tossin square nails over the entire countryside. Keep after it, as I will. Just out detecting is a lot of fun no matter what I turn up.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It took me and year and a half before I dug anything pre-1964.

The most commonyl hunted sites are getting cleaned out of old coins, but there are still some there.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will come ....Do this .....think outside the box ...with your research look for spots that most others would have passed by.....At the moment Im looking at some foundations about 3-4 miles back in the woods in hopes that most are to lazy to walk back in!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
This question pops up all the time and I wonder why the asker just hasn't just air tested his detector to see how deep it will pick up. If it will go down there then you just haven't walked over it yet. It's that simple !
Frank

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Research, research, research..... and no, I'm not talking about hitting the city parks over and over again LOL!

Put yourself in spots that have SILVER written all over them. Try looking at old Sanborn maps for your city, find out where the brothels and cigar shops were.... check in to the city's website and find out when they are doing "sidewalk repairs" in the older sections. Most every city had a farmers market at one time, a place where farmers would bring their goods to sell. Old fairgrounds, old racetracks, old horsetracks, old saloons... in short ANYWHERE that coins traded hands pre 1964.

Chautauquas and tent revival meeting places, if you can find them can be quite productive too.

When searching swimming holes and hot springs, make sure you head out in the brush AWAY from the hole as well. Lots of people snuck off in the brush to change into swimwear.

Put your self in the mindset of the people back then. Know that boys in old wooden gradeschools used to crawl under the school to hide out from the teachers when they were in trouble.

Grandstands of any sort.

Once you start thinking outside of what exists today by doing a little research, you'll find there are more places to check than not for old silver. ;D

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Jeffro. Do your research and work likely spots. There's only so much silver to be found in the sand at the kiddie park and if there are other detectorists in your neighborhood, they probably have been hit pretty hard already. Monty

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Have you found any deep clad coins? There are some areas where coins get deep real fast. I didn't find any deep coins with my Garrett AT Pro until I used manual ground balance. Used coins program, iron completely rejected, sensitivity 7 in STD mode. This set-up gets a loud beep on a dime in air test out to 10"

Using it in a nearby '70s park that's been detected 100s of times I got a high tone every sweep with #s 80-85 (dime). Got a clad dime 7" deep in hard, dry & somewhat mineralized ground & it was loud. Probably had sat there 20-30 years.

If you're AT Pro was made before July & hasn't been updated, it probably should be sent in. If you have the AT Pro with the camlocks, it should be good.

Some places have been worked over thousands of times, other places are renovated with fill dirt. If fill dirt has been used, trees that should have roots extending outward will be buried. If they're showing on the ground, likely no fill dirt (at least not around the trees).

Some possibly helpful sites are county historical societies, maybe the map sites like www.maphistory.info Also interesting, Wikipedia for ghost towns, existing towns, much info. Also www.hometownlocator.com has current maps, sites of former schools, post offices, churches, etc. There is a seller on eBay that has CDs of state & county history books, many thousands of pages for each state. Best wishes, George (MN)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread