Wondering what there is to find in Afghanistan on Kandahar Airbase!

gonzo85

Dec 23, 2007
Owensboro KY
Detector(s) used
whites prizm 3/ upgrading to a DFX once i get some experiance
So I am currently deployed to Kandahar, Afghanistan and I have been walking around and noticing there is alot of river rock and jade in the soil (SAND). I am curious if it is worth shipping a metal detector over here and see whats in the ground. Obviously I am limited to where i can find stuff but I cant seem to find much about minerals and natural resource like gold or silver in this area. Just wanted to get some input and information that might help me out!!!

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first talk to chain of command, i am sure they really don't want you diggin up uxos, if not you may get in deeeeep water

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're there, we're here. The only way to find out is to dig.
luvdux

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
I would suggest looking for lapis jazuli in the streambeds. It's a highly prized gemstone that occurs in Afghanistan. Color is
intense deep blue. Keep this to yourself if you want to keep to bring home. Good luck.

NewsMan

Mar 25, 2011
I doubt you will find lapis in southern Astan. Prominent up north, though. You want to find treasure? I'd been checking the local bazaar for old english rifles from Panjwaii.... which didn't happen too far from there. Easier treasure would be to get a hold of a bunch of bricks from Tarnak Farms, a few km from KAF. Being that it was Osama's favorite training camp, I have sold half bricks for $40 and that was before he was killed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread