Ga. dirt fisher

Greenie
Jan 6, 2012
Saint Simons Island, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This post is a thanks to all you MDer's on this forum. I have spent over 40 years working and raising a family, and very little else. I never seemed to have any time, or at least would never take the time to do anything for myself. So as a result I've had a very sour outlook on life. Don't get me wrong, I love my family and would do anything for them. But as I get older and realize that I may not be around for too many years, I decided to do something for myself that would be fun and fulfilling. So I have talked a friend that I work with into joining me in the hobby of metal detecting.
I have spent hours reading a lot of the posts on this forum and all of you have really inspired me with your stories of your finds. I am learning a lot from you about how what to do and what not to do. But most of all I want to thank all of you for giving me the real treasure....a new lease on life and a reason to want to wake up in the morning!

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck! You are in a very history rich area to start your adventure. Make sure you get a machine that will hable the salt beach areas . After a big storm you may be able to walk back in time if enough sand washes off the beach.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excellent choice for a hobby! for myself, nothing compares to the peace I am at while detecting. :thumbsup:

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Engineer. You deserve banner for being such a great family man. :hello2:
You will be so glad you got into detecting. I love getting out whether it's with friends or by myself. It's a total stress relief, lots of fun, a great learning experience, and you can also pass on your relics, coins, etc. to future generations to enjoy.
Looking forward to seeing you posts. :icon_thumleft:
-MM-
P.S.
Here's an article I wrote for W&ET mag that may have some helpful tips:
http://www.treasurenet.com/cgi-bin/treasure/westeast/feature.pl/Show?_id=201106

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eng, you sound like a good man.

Welcome to the best hobby in the world.

I hear where you are coming from.

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am glad that we could imspire you to choose detecting! It is sure fun. It takes a little time to get use to your detector. at first you will find a lot of junk, but in a short time, you will be improving your finds fast!!

I really hope you enjoy it! If you have any questions I wil do my best to answer them for ya!! Take care! HAPPY HUNTING

PJ in WI

Mar 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
EXPLORER SE and an ACE 250
Eng 1952. Welcome to what I consider the 2nd best (next to hunting) hobby in the world. Our story is somewhat similar. I started to detect when I was 18 but quit when I got married and went into the service. Fast forward 25 years later, retired from the military, still married, kids married, grandchildren and back to metal detecting. Sure wish I had not quit but its like finding a long lost love. If you have any questions feel free to pm me and I'll be glad to help you. Just a little heads up that finding stuff at first might seem impossible or very few and far between but just like anything else that requires skill, the more you work at it the better you are. Good luck and it's never to late to get a new lease on life. PJ

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Welcome to Treasure Net :headbang: Detecting will improve your life, and give you hours of fun, nothing can beat the out door life. Look forward to your first finds :icon_thumleft:

SS

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This hobby is the best medicine for stress, the blues, or whatever you wanna call it. You will never regret choosing this hobby, the people on this site are in mho the best!!!! And i want to take the time out to say thank you to everyone on this site, Just sitting here reading the posts makes a guys day!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain!!! Working , working and even more working..... It seems life just blows right on by. I always ask myself one question being a parent! Did i spend enough time with my kids or did I spend enough time with my family......Questions like that only stress you out.....In our hearts they know, and what you see in your family is what you know! You , we and all of us did what we had to do to raise our familys.....There are those who have everything and those unfortunately that work and just make it in life.....then there is the 95 percent that are in the middle and to get there they work 1 or 2 jobs , or there wifes work also to give to there kids and live the lives we do.....I have worked since I have been 16 and in high school ( delivering papers and at a local marina) 35 years later Im still working like a dog.....2 jobs and sometimes do 3.....I have always said i will work forever , is that logical....maybe or maybe not!!! I like to be with and meet people so odds are I will as long as I can......I look at Metal Detecting as a way for me personally to get away form it all, the fast paced world we live in! :( Its not for me........ :wink: That piece of mind I get from detecting by myself or with friend cannot and will never be replaced! I luv this hobby and I will be doing it as long as I live!!! You found the right hobby my friend......History ( The days of Old ) are in all of us. Enjoy it while you have the chance and I'm sure your family will enjoy the rewards for your efforts........

Digging and Working!!! John

menotomymaps

Jan 23, 2007
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you’ve earned it.
Congrats.
Too many people never stop, look around and get outside.

au4me1

Apr 28, 2010
E1952
It's time for you to slow down and enjoy life a little, Like you I to am just retiring and have spent all my life taking care of my family, I have kept Treasure Hunting though( Usually Very early in the AM or late at nite so as not to interfear with the family stuff) and it has been the thing that has kept me going, Treasure Hunters all understand It's not really the Treasure but the persuit of it that keeps us going, Good luck in the hunt.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eng 1952, it's all about the hunt. You might not find it,...but you can always come home and make plans for next time. To me, it's just cool to get a hit and dig up something that no one knew was there. Plus it keeps us old guys out of the bars and pool halls. (jewelerguy--I LIKE the previous version Oklahoma license plate avatar!! New plate's alright I guess, but just too much goin on there. Your version is just like the last one I had on my truck when I left Oklahoma for Colorado.)

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
glad you woke up eng! I too, have lived a life for service of others, and now question, have I been true to myself? I am working on that, right now as I type, and I'm sorry to say, it's pretty unsettling for others around me. They'll get over it, soon enough! LOL! Thay all know I love them, and have done my best, BUT.........

NOW IT'S MY TURN! For me to do something, just totally for me! (but that's all actually another story)

I have LOVED metal detecting! The time I can be with just me and myself. Slow down, relax, not stress, and find some real kick-butt pieces, if I do say so! Your family always knows you love them, now love yourself and do for you! You deserve it, as much as those, whom you have given up yourself for.
(and no funny cracks about "love yourself" guys) :laughing7:
I can so empathize with where you are coming from. Good luck too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread